Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson4900 Signature Worthy Profiles have VANISHED! Help!  (Read 2740 times)

simdoc1

Epson4900 Signature Worthy Profiles have VANISHED! Help!
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:59:42 pm »

I was feeling quite pleased with myself for finally getting driver v8.64 installed for my 4900 (Intel iMac, OXS 10.6.8). I'd been proofing on Enhanced Matte most of the morning and was now ready to print a set of images on Cold Press Bright. When I went to LR3.5 and attempted to selected the proper ICC profile in the Color Management dialogue, all of my Signature Worthy profiles had vanished. Thinking that somehow they had become deselected, I clicked on "Other" but they are simply not present in the "Choose Profile" dialogue. Where did they go? They don't seem to be downloadable from Epson's website (at least for the 4900). My apologies if I am making some stupid error here but I can't find them anywhere. Any help any of you could provide would be very welcome!!!

Jeff

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson4900 Signature Worthy Profiles have VANISHED! Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 05:22:01 pm »

This can actually be a Lightroom problem. I've never really researched why or how to "correctly" fix it, I've always just copied the profiles from the Epson package into the regular colorsync folder on the occasions it gets me.

The profiles are located in a file found here

/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/Pro9900_7900.profiles  (sometimes it's INkjetPrinter2)

Right click on the package to show the profiles, (open Contents, then Resources)  and then copy them from there into the normal /Library/ColorSync folder.

You may need to restart LR.

simdoc1

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:38:34 pm »

Thanks, Wayne! Can the 7900/9900 profiles be used with the 4900??

Updated: I was too quick with reading your reply. There is a folder called Inkjetprinter2 which contains ICCProfiles but the file in there seems to be a package of some sort called Epson Stylus Pro 4900-4910.profiles but I have know idea how to "install" it. Can it simply be copied into ColorSync?

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 05:45:17 pm by simdoc1 »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:40:31 pm »

Thanks, Wayne! Can the 7900/9900 profiles be used with the 4900??

No...you should use the 4900 profiles. While the ink set is the same the head design is different enough (actually an update) that profiles made withe the 79/9900 will not be optimal.

simdoc1

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:20:15 pm »

I have been so annoyed about this that I failed to fully get what you were saying. I found the profiles (although why they disppeared and why they didn't self-install I don't know) and I've moved them over into the ColorSync folder and they DO show up in LR and PS. I haven't had a chance to print with them yet but I really appreciate your helping me out!!! Thank you!

Jeff

simdoc1

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:59:48 am »

I could really use some help here! I have reinstalled driver v8.64 and everything seems ok except that LR 3.5 is not automatically detecting the Signature Worthy ICC profiles even though they are present in HD\Library\Printer\Epson\Inkjetprinter2\ICCProfiles. Following Wayne's suggestion, I opened the package and dragged the relevant ICC profiles to HD\Library\ColorSync\Profiles and LR does pick them up there and display them. The problem now emerges when I go to print. Printing on Epson Premium Luster and on Enhanced Matte, the images look great; however, when I print on Exhibition Fiber or Cold Press Bright, the red tonalities are suppressed and the tonal gradations in the sky look quite coarse and almost posterized. In other words, while the less expensive papers look great and match my screen image almost perfectly, the Signature Worthy papers are way off. No difference is not subtle.

I am using an Intel iMac with OSX 10.6.4 and the screen was calibrated about a month ago with a ColorMunki. I have done a nozzle check and everything looks perfect. My LR print settings are:

Resolution - 360
Print Sharpening - Standard
Media Type - Glossy (for Luster and Exhibition Fiber)
16 Bit Output - On
Color Management - Luster or Fiber as appropriate/Rendering Intent = Perceptual

For Printer Settings:

Page Setup - Cassette or Manual as appropriate
Media Type - UltraPremium Luster or Exhibition Fiber
Ink - Photo Black
16 Bit Output
Print Mode - AccuPhoto HDR (Grayed out)
Color Mode - Off (Grayed out)
Output Resolution - 1440
Super Microweave - On
High Speed - Off

In the Color Matching Panel, ColorSync is checked and grayed out; Epson Color Controls is unchecked and grayed out.

Sorry to go on at such length; but, when I first received this printer in September, I printed a single test image on 20-25 different sample papers and the colors were spot on from paper to paper. I can't figure out why I am seeing such a dramatic difference now with these Signature Worthy profiles and I don't know why they are not being detected by LR in their original directory and folder since LR is seeing all the other profiles that are in the same location. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated!!!

Jeff

howardm

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 07:51:05 am »

If you have the printer, the paper(s) and the ColorMunki, why not just create your own, much more personalized profile(s) for the papers vs. all the frustration that seems to be going on?  It's not an answer to the  '*why* did the profiles disappear' question but it should keep you moving forward

simdoc1

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:54:50 am »

I agree!! I am half way through with profiling the Exhibition Fiber and then I'll do the Cold Press Bright. But I'd still like to know what the heck is going on....

Jeff

simdoc1

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 09:28:51 am »

OK, I'm really baffled. I re-profiled my monitor with the ColorMunki (A/B'ing it with previous versions shows no discernible change), and built a new ColorMunki profile for Exhibition Fiber. When I print with it, it looks just like the Epson profile - too brown with slight posterization in the shadows - and, when I print with the Epson Premium Luster profile or with my own ColorMunki Luster profile, it looks great! How can this be??? I must be doing something stupid but I can't figure it out.

Sorry to consume so much bandwidth on this! I will talk with Epson tomorrow but if you have ideas, they would be welcome!

Jeff

UPDATE: I've attached a file so you can see what I'm dealing with. The upper print is the Exhibition Fiber and the lower is Premium Luster. Aside from the obvious color difference, you can also see that the smooth transition in the sky on the right side of the image is much more abrupt in the Exhibition Fiber image.

JLS
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 09:39:46 am by simdoc1 »

Farmer

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

What driver and application settings are you using?
Phil Brown

simdoc1

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

The driver is for the Mac. version 8.64 which is the current one on Epson's website. I got of the phone with Epson a short while ago and they determined that somehow the driver was corrupted. He walked me through a complete uninstall (deleting the Epson Printer folder and removing the printer from the list of printers in System Preferences along with a Permissions repair) and we reinstalled with a fresh download. Voila! It works without moving any ICC profiles around.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up