Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamrac Bag Quandry  (Read 1668 times)

Kit-V

Tamrac Bag Quandry
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:48:13 pm »

Here is the situation: I need a compact travel bag capable of holding the following basics: a Canon 400D w/ EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM attached, a Sigma 17-70mm & a Speedlite flash unit.

I am considering the following candidates: the Tamrac Zoom Traveler 3 & the Tamrac 5603. It appears that the basic difference between the two is size. However, both appear to be able to accommodate my needs.

I would appreciate hearing from those who are familiar with these bags as to your thoughts & preferences. As you all know, the last thing that I need is yet another gear bag that doesn't quite fit the bill. Thank you kindly.
Falling Fork Photography

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Tamrac Bag Quandry
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:39:01 am »

I am not familiar with either of these bags, but I do have enough bags collected over the years to equip a small army!  I also know that needs vary hugely depending on what gear you have and where you are going.  My only question before you go any further is do you really need to have the 70-300 mounted on the camera while in the bag?  Why not mount the 17-70 and carry the longer lens alongside.  We have a 70-300 and I know that none of our bags really is happy with such a long lens mounted on a body.m  It can be done of course, but it means the bag will have to be deep and wide.  If the shorter lens is mounted the bag can just be deep.

Jim

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:44:37 am »

Can't comment on current Tamrac offerings as I gave up on them years ago due to early zipper death, stitching failures and fabric fraying issues. I decided to spend my money on  bags that better designed for photogrpahers who actually work out of them, and  so are more durable even if more a little more expensive.
My advice is to look at Domke, Thinktank Photo, or some of the other makers.

Kit-V

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:30:26 am »

I mentioned having the telephoto zoom attached only because the camera/lens combo lies in the mentioned Tamrac bags horizontally. Since this would be the longest camera/lens combo, I wanted to make sure of the fit.

Yes, I agree that the Domke or ThinkTank bags are likely to be better constructed. I will consider them as well.

Thank you.
Falling Fork Photography

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:54:26 pm »

You could probably use the Tamrac Velocity 7X.
I use the larger 9X myself to hold a 1Ds with 70-200 2.8L IS attached plus 3 other lenses and flash. The design allows you to cary it on your back or swing it around to your side to access the camera, change lenses etc.
Gerald J Skrocki

pw-pix

• My Flickr stream
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »

Yes, Tamrac Velocity could fit the bill, compact, light, easy enough to work from. I had a 7 with a previous outfit and liked it.
Also look at the Lowepro Slinghsot range, the smallest is similar in concept to the Velocity and is more backpack shaped.

Kit-V

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. But , in all honesty, as I've been looking at alternative bags the Crumpler 5MDH has really gotten my attention for several reasons.

But rather than hijacking my own thread, I'll post another.

Again, thank you all for your comments & suggestions.
Falling Fork Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up