Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon strikes back...  (Read 52702 times)

pschefz

Re: Canon strikes back...
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2011, 06:27:46 pm »

after really thinking about the scarlet specs, i came across the for sale section of reduser....a LOT of MXs for sale...you are right, they make more sense....
i actually cancelled my scarlet order, this whole thing reminded me of when i dropped too much on my 3rd DMF back...
i am not in the business of shooting features....or even TV commercials...everything i have shot so far has ended up on the web or some display, i doubt even HD....nobody has had any issues with my 5d video, i have not noticed any moire or rolling shutter in my footage....
the red way of shooting makes sense to me, really does and the scarlet could slip into my bag right along with the canons....but when you really price it out the scarlet is 20000 (screen, grip, batteries (at least 6 from what i have heard) and ssd cards (which are insanely overpriced)...yes you can shoot a couple of minutes for less but that is what you need to start working....
for epic owners the scarlet is a no brainer...
for someone wanting to shoot their first feature....it makes a lot of sense...
for what i want to do with it, it just doesn't....
schefz.com
artloch.com

fredjeang

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2011, 06:32:22 pm »

after really thinking about the scarlet specs, i came across the for sale section of reduser....a LOT of MXs for sale...you are right, they make more sense....
i actually cancelled my scarlet order, this whole thing reminded me of when i dropped too much on my 3rd DMF back...
i am not in the business of shooting features....or even TV commercials...everything i have shot so far has ended up on the web or some display, i doubt even HD....nobody has had any issues with my 5d video, i have not noticed any moire or rolling shutter in my footage....
the red way of shooting makes sense to me, really does and the scarlet could slip into my bag right along with the canons....but when you really price it out the scarlet is 20000 (screen, grip, batteries (at least 6 from what i have heard) and ssd cards (which are insanely overpriced)...yes you can shoot a couple of minutes for less but that is what you need to start working....
for epic owners the scarlet is a no brainer...
for someone wanting to shoot their first feature....it makes a lot of sense...
for what i want to do with it, it just doesn't....

Why don't you GH2 ? It's a better video tool than the 5D2, cheap, hackable...almost a paradise. (I stop there because I sound like a MF vendor)

and it also shoots 4K image sequence at 60 fps...but just during one sec!! (don't know if they fixed that with the hack)

Also here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh2_11_mode_revealed.shtml
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 06:45:31 pm by fredjeang »

bcooter

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2011, 09:03:35 pm »

Pro tip, on a cold day do not lick your Scarlet.

I'm not much in to licking cameras, though I heard when I was in grade school some kid tried to kick his dad's car on a cold day.

I don't know why but hey Bernard, maybe it's something you have experience with.

Anyway, don't misunderstand me, I don't get paid by RED and I'm not looking to.  I just shoot for a living and the RED's work good for me and I love the look of the file.

If something comes out that's better for me I'll buy it, but I gotta tell ya, I hate cameras with 20 to 200 little buttons on the side.

Though maybe if I licked them I'd feel different.

IMO

BC

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2011, 09:56:45 pm »

I'm not much in to licking cameras, though I heard when I was in grade school some kid tried to kick his dad's car on a cold day.

I don't know why but hey Bernard, maybe it's something you have experience with.

Anyway, don't misunderstand me, I don't get paid by RED and I'm not looking to.  I just shoot for a living and the RED's work good for me and I love the look of the file.

If something comes out that's better for me I'll buy it, but I gotta tell ya, I hate cameras with 20 to 200 little buttons on the side.

Though maybe if I licked them I'd feel different.

IMO

BC

;D

All power to you if you are happy with that product. If you enjoy a brand or a spec or an organization and the results workout for your art and you like using that product, that is great. Makes doing it worth while.

I have only replied originally to help anyone confused understand why the Canon had something... If that something means nothing everyone will ignore and see what works for them.

The guy that wrote this still ordered a Scarlet:

''Now it is cheaper than the C300. Is it better? Dunno. Not shot with either. It’s essentially an EPIC light. I love my Epic but have had hideous reliability issues with it. Will RED carry on with having BETA firmware in the Scarlet or will they make it more stable. At the lower price point they are going to ship more so it will need to be. I expect the C300 will be super reliable straight out of the starting block…''

ziocan

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2011, 06:41:21 pm »

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/canon-eos-c300-announced/

4K - 16.000 US$ - Jan 2012 availability.

Cheers,
Bernard

Even if it will be working straight out of the box with zero issues, the Canon is 5 to 7000$ worth of camera to me. I would not spend a penny more for it.
The Scarlet on the other hand seems a much better value for money.

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 12:35:19 pm »

http://prolost.com/shrinkage

Red's stuff is not on my radar, not really my thang, but yeah I was shocked when I read it and that is a nice way of showing it. Although the full aperture (they called it ''Super 35 Film'') is potentially misleading given the film industry mix and match, for many various reasons, of different perfs and aspects used, not to mention the ana'lenses that really see wider ratio's.

Sadly I think some will not consider it when they brag about the Scarlet as if they were going to buy it. Hopefully those buying will ensure it still is a workable solution for their needs, In some cases it may actually help for those that may not need the full cinematic feel and want more DOF or more DOF on higher frame rates for faster action shoots...

A definite buyer beware...

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2011, 02:23:56 pm »

http://www.fdtimes.com/news/canon/interview-with-canon-managing-director-mr-maeda/

Could be a sign Canon are considering working with Arri for the high end. Makes sense. Arri will build the big heavy stuff and canon can do the sensor and electronics.

A great pairing...

Seems the driver behind the DSLR ''?'' C is just the ''we want more lines'' types... They will give them what they want, and it will be a thorn for the competition as the price will probably be similar to the 1D X. It will be interesting if they give it the Cinematic contrast they mentioned bestowed on the C 300. If so it will be another tool for many shooting the more film like look...

This is a must read for anyone interested in the C 300:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/c300_for_cinematographers.shtml

bcooter

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2011, 02:10:15 am »

snip>>>>>>>>> Hopefully those buying will ensure it still is a workable solution for their needs, In some cases it may actually help for those that may not need the full cinematic feel and want more DOF or more DOF on higher frame rates for faster action shoots... snip.

This Canon 300 may be good, I don't know and I don't know anyone that has shot a real paying production with one yet, I'm sure they will, but I doubt if there are any one on one comparison images of RED, Canon 300 even a Panasonic.

That's probably up to Zaguto to do in a year or so.

The thing is I know that my RED's work and maybe I'm lucky but both of mine work reliably.

I also know that this week shooting a parallel campaign of motion and stills on locations using HMI's, LED's and a continuous light mix, the RED's had more latitude than the Nikon D3 and Canon 1ds3's still cameras I was using.

Much more the the Nikon (D3 NOT D3x) and about 25% more than the 1ds3.

We had one shot today throwing a 1.2k HMI through a window to simulate cross window light and set the shot on the RED.

On the RED the ratios were perfect, the light through the window threw white but still holding detail.

On the Nikon (which is a still camera) the window and wall just went to total blow out and the Canon ( also a still camera)  required a 1/2 stop knockdown of the HMI to hold the same detail.

Actually the Nikon was so blown that you couldn't tell definition of a window to the wall, which amazed me because i kinda like that camera.

Anyway.

I was pretty shocked about that and it showed real world what the difference was.

today we also had monitors everywhere, for the two RED's and the still cameras and the clients obviously looked at both, but on the RED footage kept asking that'll make a still . . . right? . . .  so maybe in movie-land they don't need stills but in advertising land, they want and need all they can get when the pace is fast and the exact look they want is on the monitor, regardless of the camera.

I thought I wish I had the Scarlet we ordered, or an Epic because then I could do 5k stills and then switch and shoot motion, or with the Epic just shoot.

Anyway.

The steadicam guy we hired to run the second camera on this project does a lot of feature work and has shot with everything.  He likes the Alexa, like the RED, doesn't know what happens to either of them in post and probably doesn't concern himself with it, but he does like to use an Angenieux optimo Zoom and that's a PL mount.  With the RED we just changed one of our Nikon mounts to a PL, but with this new Canon do the mounts change or is it a separate body?

Everybody I talk to has their own opinion of cameras and usually the camera they like best is the one they shot the best project with, or with new cameras, what they hope the camera will deliver.

In time we'll all find out how all these camera compare and i guess Canon isn't going after RED but positioning themselves to be a smaller and lower cost version of the Arri.

Regardless I wish em' luck because the more cameras the better, but in the world of cinema and tee vee, most people rent anyway.

I think where RED upsets the status quo is if your working a long range production, are your very busy, it's cheaper to own a RED, any RED than rent long term.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:42:55 am by bcooter »

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:52 am »

With the RED we just changed one of our Nikon mounts to a PL, but with this new Canon do the mounts change or is it a separate body?

The C 300 Bodies EF and PL are the same. Canon has decided not to offer a changeable system due to the need to double tolerance every flange in such as system (a real headache if done correctly). They do however suspect a cottage industry to set up with people offering it as a Custom service (invalidating the guarantee no doubt)...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2011, 07:42:09 am »

I also know that this week shooting a parallel campaign of motion and stills on locations using HMI's, LED's and a continuous light mix, the RED's had more latitude than the Nikon D3 and Canon 1ds3's still cameras I was using.

We had one shot today throwing a 1.2k HMI through a window to simulate cross window light and set the shot on the RED.

On the RED the ratios were perfect, the light through the window threw white but still holding detail.

On the Nikon (which is a still camera) the window and wall just went to total blow out and the Canon ( also a still camera)  required a 1/2 stop knockdown of the HMI to hold the same detail.

Well... that tells us that the actual ISO of the Nikon is higher, nothing else.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2011, 07:59:46 am »

This Canon 300 may be good, I don't know and I don't know anyone that has shot a real paying production with one yet, I'm sure they will, but I doubt if there are any one on one comparison images of RED, Canon 300 even a Panasonic.

That's probably up to Zaguto to do in a year or so.

The thing is I know that my RED's work and maybe I'm lucky but both of mine work reliably.

Actually the Nikon was so blown that you couldn't tell definition of a window to the wall, which amazed me because i kinda like that camera.

Anyway.

I was pretty shocked about that and it showed real world what the difference was.

today we also had monitors everywhere, for the two RED's and the still cameras and the clients obviously looked at both, but on the RED footage kept asking that'll make a still . . . right? . . .  so maybe in movie-land they don't need stills but in advertising land, they want and need all they can get when the pace is fast and the exact look they want is on the monitor, regardless of the camera.

I thought I wish I had the Scarlet we ordered, or an Epic because then I could do 5k stills and then switch and shoot motion, or with the Epic just shoot.

Anyway.

The steadicam guy we hired to run the second camera on this project does a lot of feature work and has shot with everything.  He likes the Alexa, like the RED, doesn't know what happens to either of them in post and probably doesn't concern himself with it, but he does like to use an Angenieux optimo Zoom and that's a PL mount.  With the RED we just changed one of our Nikon mounts to a PL, but with this new Canon do the mounts change or is it a separate body?

Everybody I talk to has their own opinion of cameras and usually the camera they like best is the one they shot the best project with, or with new cameras, what they hope the camera will deliver.

In time we'll all find out how all these camera compare and i guess Canon isn't going after RED but positioning themselves to be a smaller and lower cost version of the Arri.

Regardless I wish em' luck because the more cameras the better, but in the world of cinema and tee vee, most people rent anyway.

I think where RED upsets the status quo is if your working a long range production, are your very busy, it's cheaper to own a RED, any RED than rent long term.

IMO

BC

Another victim of the frozen lamppost licking syndrome  ;D

TIME is the answer...

You can choose any workflow if you have the TIME to use it...

The C 300 is not just about purity of the original image before being compressed into a small space, it is also about a fast work flow... TIME may cost some users money...

The C 300 will not suit everyone, that is why it is up to people to choose for themselves what works for them.

DSLR's have a ''look''. The C 300 looks very different (but has a DSLR look menu option too). They made it to the tastes of Hollywood... A film like look...

Check this link again:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/c300_for_cinematographers.shtml

See the ''Moiré effects'' example. Not just to see Canon showing how much better the C 300 is over a DSLR since the up coming 1D X may also solve some of this (@ 4 2 0 colour space so still not in the same league as the C 300), but note the colour cast on the wall on the DSLR picture example. The male models white vest stays white in both pictures. The light hitting the back wall must be different, missing part of the spectrum, the C 300 sensor with 4 to 1 pixel full colour appears not to be fooled. The DSLR appears to have put a colour cast on the wall. If my guess is correct then you see why the C 300 starts to remove the need for a full RAW work flow for some users, it just does not have the same issues to be fixed... That will save TIME...

We need to see more of this new C 300, but it is looking good so far for me...

billy

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2011, 10:34:18 am »

"The C 300 is not just about purity of the original image before being compressed into a small space, it is also about a fast work flow... TIME may cost some users money..."

Can u explain further? Are you saying that the File produced from the upcoming canon will be so clean right out of the can that you will not need a raw file and therefore need less storage space on set and less post production time on the computer?

Also; we saw above the crop factors associated with the new scarlet. How about the canon? Only one crop factor that doesnt change no matter what frame speed you are shooting?

bcooter

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2011, 03:48:24 pm »

snip........."The C 300 is not just about purity of the original image before being compressed into a small space, it is also about a fast work flow... TIME may cost some users money..."......snip

Uh no . .  . not really.

This becomes a somewhat silly comparison of a camera (the canon) that isn't on the shelf comparing it to a RED scarlet whose form factor in the EPIC is already being sold.

Time will tell.

Workflow is another matter.  If you need a camcorder's already baked file that you do not do any post production correction, then there are a lot of camcorders that'll do this, though from our experience everything needs some matching and correction.

The thing is in their sales presentation, Canon can't seem to make up their mind as to whether this is a already baked out news camera that spits out a file ready for edit, or a camera that shoots a flat cine file that is later corrected and graded to match or for look and and effect.

If it's the latter, then there is absolutely no time or money savings in that type of file format . . . in fact for us it is always more workflow intensive than shooting a RED file.  We shoot the Sony AF 100 and 5d2 next to the RED file for a small percentage of our work and it takes twice the time to remove the wrapper and go to some third party software to process out adjusted prorezz for editing and smaller mp4's/h264 for gallery view, because RED Cine-x is an easy software to learn and with the RED rocket processes multiple file formats very fast.

On set we set up our RED's to look pleasing or as close to the final look we can achieve (kind of like setting up C-1 or lightroom), though just like a still raw file, we don't worry about it that much because we know we're going to go back and match them in cine-x anyway, so the worry factor in initial set up is not that big of a deal and time setting a color look in post is a lot less expensive than having a full production sitting around while the cameras are being set up to hit an exact look.

Since we've moved to more and more motion production we've integrated ourselves more into the cine-world and bumping past DP's, directors and all sorts of technicians and suppliers.   Bottom line is there is no bottom line and like still cameras everyone uses what either they want, need or the budget allows.  

The thing about RED is, in the cine world they have a big head start and everyone is familiar with them, dp's, sound techs, focus pullers, steadicam operators, everyone, so there is really no surprises when you say your shooting a RED.

I don't doubt the the Canon won't be used, or become part of the landscape, but in the cine world, even small web spots, the requirements for complete integration from pre through post production makes or breaks a system.

Without doubt you have to give RED credit for thinking about the complete system from day 1.

Last night we were wrapping on a sound stage and I was talking to a DP on the stage next door.  They were shooting with EPICS and most traditional DP's like the Arri's because they are familiar with the camera and brand, but the DP's that get involved with post production love the raw file of the RED just for the reasons I mentioned.  

One thing this DP said that was interesting is twice he's seen still images from his productions in outdoor and print.  Whether that is good or bad for our industry is another matter, but the fact that you can make a useable still from the RED plays very well to a client.

One other thing I've found interesting is most of the dp's and operators I've met that don't own cameras, but rent, all think about buying the scarlet, even if it's a backup or a B cam, just due to price and functionality.  Whether they do or not remains to be seen, but nobody I've met is talking about the Canon camera, a few have mentioned the lenses, though I'm not taking a pole, I'm just working.

The most telling comment I've heard is everyone is stoked by our DIT station and that we do it in-house and on set.\

So workflow for the RED isn't that complicated.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:50:50 pm by bcooter »

ziocan

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »

Could be a sign Canon are considering working with Arri for the high end. Makes sense. Arri will build the big heavy stuff and canon can do the sensor and electronics.

A great pairing...

I do not think ARRI needs Canon expertise for motion sensors.

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2011, 06:11:34 pm »

"The C 300 is not just about purity of the original image before being compressed into a small space, it is also about a fast work flow... TIME may cost some users money..."

Can u explain further? Are you saying that the File produced from the upcoming canon will be so clean right out of the can that you will not need a raw file and therefore need less storage space on set and less post production time on the computer?

There are some advantages to not needing to demosaic and there are some gains from 4 into 1. E.g. The line detail is generated by 4 separate pixel readings covering the area that needs that line detail. The colour detail in the area is pure. The green makes up half the reading in the area and nothing stops Canon adding info gleaned from the other two colours to add yet more colour intelligence for the green reading (not saying they do it but if they wanted to and had the processing power they could). The Blue is pure and will again have the potential to use as mentioned for the green and ditto the Red.

The difficulty for conventional systems is the are expecting allot from each pixel. In effect the pixels are themselves colour blind and have a green or blue or red filter to give a reading. In still RAW, this reading does not get compressed, so using algorithms to guess the other values of non green light hitting a green light sensitive pixel by measure of surrounding pixels is a system that has worked well but is far from perfect. It can hit problems and the algorithms are being constantly developed to play this trick of light. With a RED camera they do full colour 444 RAW but the signal is compressed (as little as they can) so it makes the job of demosiacing that bit harder and the artifacts we associate with that RAW process will be harder to avoid if that compression looses some signal fidelity, which we know it does as it is a lossy compression.

Clearly the RED system uses more bandwidth and as such they try to keep as much of the signal as possible to maximize the usefulness of the RAW output.

Canon have taken a different approach and so face different problems. Their advantage is not having to do full 4K or 444. 422 that they use is recognized as very usable for ''key'' work. The 4 into 1 pixel arrangement is perfect for 2K and that is a fundamental advantage removing the need for demosiacing and the associated issues.

Regarding the flexibility of the Canon output the Canon Log file option (a simple setting to choose and lock to) It seems they are able to generate enough information in those files for post editing. You can also set the camera so that the viewfinder and display show an example of a final graded live image, which assists focus as it will be higher in contrast to the Canon log file.

The only true moan I have seen about the Canon is that the viewfinder and screen resolution could be higher to assist better focus. That said you can always add a monitor to the out put and add another higher rez screen. HD SDI and HDMI outs will be log when in log mode (for off cam recording) so that would work but the contrast would be lower. In all other modes the outs will most likely be more contrasty and useful for focus assistance if needed. Failing that there is the normal focus aids such as peaking and display zoom

Regarding storage, the Canon shoots various bit rates. If you know you do not need the highest quality you can set a lower rate to save card space. Equally on the highest setting, it is broadcast standard and as such anything you have seen on a 1080P TV sent in HD, it will be better than since at best those TV broadcasts are probably only resolving 700 lines and they are probably not full 422. The digital TV networks realize they just don't need that level of detail for home viewing and so make better use of radio channels in the ether.

For cinema viewing one could argue for the person sitting in the front row having to watch a cinema screen like a tennis match moving their head side to side to see the giant screen that they are too close to, they would really need more than 4K... LOL

The irony of all of this is that it is the home cinema user that gets closest to the directors viewfinder vision of a motion picture, since they can sit properly and see the screen in their sweet spot of vision with little side to side eye movement required.

Here is a test for you, look to the right of your computer monitor just enough to look off the screen and without moving your eyes back read from the screen. You can see the screen but you can not read the text. Your eyes have a central sweet spot... Hence the 4K argument is a weak one in reality as it becomes a case of diminishing returns and a very sore neck at a cinema... LOL

Edit, found this link:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/misc/cinemaEOS_faq.shtml

It confirmed my question on HDMI, it is log in log mode (text above editted to suit)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:46:45 am by Bernard ODonovan »

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2011, 06:26:41 pm »

Also; we saw above the crop factors associated with the new scarlet. How about the canon? Only one crop factor that doesnt change no matter what frame speed you are shooting?

Yes I believe from all that I have read Canon does not change the crop. The advantage is freedom to change FPS and Line rez without worrying about different effects and any inability to hold the same feeling of depth of field and lens focal range/angle of view..

As before RED will work for those the may NEED more DOF for 2K @ highest FPS on scarlet, however it will be using less pixels and so still a very different 2K to the way Canon gets their 2K from a 4K sensor.

In theory any RED Cam could generate a 2K file from a 4K RAW in post and boost some lost info. I have not studied the full range of their software for post so sorry I do not know if it is available or how they dither down to 2K when needed, assume other 3rd party software may help.

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2011, 06:29:54 pm »

The thing is in their sales presentation, Canon can't seem to make up their mind as to whether this is a already baked out news camera that spits out a file ready for edit, or a camera that shoots a flat cine file that is later corrected and graded to match or for look and and effect.

This is a must read for anyone interested in the C 300:

Repeating the link as you need to read this to realize you have misunderstood what Canon have made very clear...

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »

I do not think ARRI needs Canon expertise for motion sensors.

I agree, but sometimes companies will work together to gain synergy and speed time to market...

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2011, 06:48:47 pm »

@ focus

There is also a WiFi option to send control to an iPhone or iPad type device. That may or may not give enough rez. Have yet to find out, but is will most likely be used when the Cam is on a crane etc

It covers the main controls remotely, really neat
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up