Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon strikes back...  (Read 52656 times)

bcooter

Re: Canon strikes back...
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2011, 08:17:59 pm »

Repeating the link as you need to read this to realize you have misunderstood what Canon have made very clear...

OK, I read this earlier but let's be clear, it's a 9 page ad.

As it states "The CDLC contributors are compensated spokespersons and actual users of the Canon products that they promote."

IMO

BC

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2011, 08:25:26 pm »

OK, I read this earlier but let's be clear, it's a 9 page ad.

As it states "The CDLC contributors are compensated spokespersons and actual users of the Canon products that they promote."

IMO

BC

;D  A tad harsh on those folk hmmm

They are trying help you...

Oh well

Edit, this new link I found will give you more direct answers, same thing but more direct:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/misc/cinemaEOS_faq.shtml
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:04:49 am by Bernard ODonovan »

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2011, 10:06:39 pm »

A tad more info from Canon on the data flow:

''The video components within the EOS C300 camera are processed at 13-bit for Green and 12-bit each for Red and Blue. This allows excellent nonlinear processing of the video that ensures a superb tonal reproduction over the nominally exposed range (that is, from reference white down to capped black level). A contrast ratio in excess of 500:1 is achieved. In addition this bit depth has sufficient overhead to handle overexposed signals. When the camera is set to 850 ISO and the Gamma transfer function is switched to Canon-Log an 800% overexposure is achieved – which translates to the camera being able to capture an Exposure Latitude of 12 f-stops.

The Red, Green, and Blue video signals are subsequently matriced to formulate the Luma video component and the two color difference signals according to the 4:2:2 coding structure preparatory to being compressed according to the MPEG-2 422Profile@High Level international standard. This standard firmly stipulates 8-bit. Accordingly, the fully processed 4:2:2 video components are transformed to an 8-bit depth before being sent to the compression engine. This process loses very little of the careful management of the nonlinear transfer function performed (as described above) at the higher bit depths.

The serial representation of the uncompressed 4:2:2 component set is structured from the parallel 8-bit component set and is fed to the camera's HD SDI interface allowing parallel outboard recording to be implemented if desired.''

bcooter

« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2011, 06:08:00 am »

;D  A tad harsh on those folk hmmm

They are trying help you...

Oh well

Not harsh, just my take on reality.

Since I've been in some form of advertising and image creation my complete adult life, I'm not being harsh when I say that link is an ad, heck I love advertising.

I'm just calling it what it is . . . a sponsored vehicle that wants the viewer to be positive about this particular product.

Some of it is informative, (enough that we canceled our order for the C300), but it's still a company approved style sheet meant to promote a product.

You know, in all honesty there is nothing wrong with this camera, other than what most of the target market anticipated.

What just about everyone thought would come out of Canon was a 4k, raw file, 4:4:4 camera that produced a real 4k file at a price point at or below $10,000.

Really most people thought it would be at $7,000 to give the 5d2 crowd a reason to upgrade and do what everyone said was coming, which was a RED killer.

Instead we got something totally different and I'm not sure what Canon's intended market really is.  Advertising is covered with the RED's and the Arri and maybe a 5d2 or panasonic as a small B/C camera or a crash cam, mostly due to those cameras prices.

Large scale television that wants a ready to edit prorezz file is fine with the Arri, long form theatrical seems covered by the RED One and the Epic and for immediate news gathering ENG cameras there are so many of those it would take a spread sheet to cover them.

There are also issues with the data stream and file size changing as the frame rates are increased, not to mention that if you want a Canon mount camera for casual handholding and a PL mount camera to add any of the hundreds of specialty lenses you'll need two camera bodies, which puts you into Epic territory.

Now Canon may have success with this camera, time will tell, but I don't know how it fits in the market, regardless of medium.

As an image maker, the one advantage I see from this camera is it's claimed ability to go to very high iso and it's lightweight for car mounts.

IMO

BC

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2011, 07:25:50 am »

Some of it is informative, (enough that we canceled our order for the C300)

Really most people thought it would be at $7,000 to give the 5d2 crowd a reason to upgrade and do what everyone said was coming, which was a RED killer.

As an image maker, the one advantage I see from this camera is it's claimed ability to go to very high iso and it's lightweight for car mounts.

I am pleased it helped you decide. If it is not for you, it's not for you...

I know the market is smaller and the extra costs for regs are different, but the price is eye watering for sure... Compared to the costs of film gear it looks cheap, compared to the cost of a prosumer stills cam it is not... It is what it is...

You hit the spot there on usage... Some of those demo's appear to use available light, some were shoot lit for film, so it fits in but it can go that extra mile and allow those that want a low profile light free shoot...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:31:01 am by Bernard ODonovan »

bcooter

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2011, 02:20:23 pm »

Money's important, through in regards to what we're doing, the price of the Canon body isn't the deal breaker, since as you know 20 large in the film world just gets things started.

Heck, our DIT station costs double the Canon.

I'm just talking about marketing of this camera.  Canon seems to mention it covers all markets from funded movies to commercials, to indie films.

It's the indie market and the photographer that is coming from stills to motion that is working in 5d2's and Panasonics that's not going to jump 17 grand more for a camera that shoots pretty close to what they have already.

Now, I would say the idea of the Canon lenses looks good, especially in PL mount if they hold the price down.   the  14.5-60mm T2.6L S at 10 grand would be perfect, though Canon has placed that at $45,000, twice the price of an Angeniex.

Like a friend of mine says, there are some things I understand, some things I don't.

IMO

BC

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2011, 04:21:54 pm »

I went to the Paramount event, & was impressed by the camera.

It's very lightweight, & ergonomic. I could see handholding it all day.

The picture on the 60' screen looked fantastic. Both the highlight rolloff, & skin tones, were very natural.

If it doesn't chroma clip like the Sony's, & Panasonics, I can see using it on numerous projects, especially documentary.

I'm also interested in the Scarlet, but for different needs.

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2011, 02:10:19 pm »

Thanks Bern

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2011, 02:13:50 pm »

The Canon 5D2 with kit lens price has dropped into the abyss...

Normally happens when the retailers get a hint something is coming to replace it...

;)

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »

More C300 footage

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »

The Canon 5D2 with kit lens price has dropped into the abyss...

Normally happens when the retailers get a hint something is coming to replace it...

;)

No price drops here in UK afar as I can tell, with or without kit lens.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2011, 03:40:42 pm »

C-300 Log with commentary.

bcooter

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2011, 05:25:00 pm »

C-300 Log with commentary.

The high iso looks good and though I don't know the lighting, etc., I still think this camera has somewhat of a 5d2 look.  Obviously less moire and a little bit deeper file, but it has that soft Canon look . . .

Maybe when it's out I give it a test and see.

IMO

BC

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2011, 08:50:48 pm »

Maybe when it's out I give it a test and see.

After the Paramount Event I received an email from Canon concerning the C300. In part it stated...

"Of course, if you would like to borrow and test one of our products for yourself we would be happy to have a sales representative follow up with you directly."

www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/contact_me_camera_web_form?WT.mc_id=C130942

They'd be wise to put one in your hands.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:52:31 pm by Bern Caughey »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2011, 08:56:53 pm »

The high iso looks good...

The banding is concerning. Love to see the original file.

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2011, 08:09:43 am »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2012, 05:43:59 pm »

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 06:05:56 pm by Bern Caughey »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2012, 02:20:26 pm »

"By the Light of the Moon"

bcooter

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »

"By the Light of the Moon"

This is obviously a test and not the most beautiful imagery in the world, but . . .

This is why Hollywood has been talking to Canon for features and episodic TV.

When you think of it, to shoot those segments traditionally would have required a huge crane a few lighting and  grip trucks, along with a crew of 10, at the bare minimum.   With this amount of high iso it probably took two guys, add another guy for sound and your done.

Honestly and this is why I've said forever that you can't have too high an  iso camera in motion or stills.

IMO

BC

fredjeang

« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2012, 03:08:44 pm »

This is hugly. frankly.

The ultra-high isos is bearable but not filmic grain at all. I find the output very video-like.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up