Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from Light Room  (Read 2594 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Printing from Light Room
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »

What is the process that take place when I print a raw file directly from LR? Does LR convert the raw file to an intermediate format before printing? I am asking because I have compared a raw file printed from LR and an exported jpeg of the same image printed from CS and I see slight differences in color.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Printing from Light Room
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:02:00 pm »

As long as you are printing a raw file and have Lightroom manage color (setting a printer/paper profile in Lightroom, Lightroom takes the internal raw editing space (ProPhoto RGB color and a linear gamma) and converts it to the final output profile space before sending the data to the printer. So yes, printing an sRGB from CS would be expected to produce a slightly different result.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:24:12 am »

ok, so it was not my imagination. BTW I was printing AdobeRGB not sRGB from CS.

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:43 am »

They're still different colour spaces so differences would be possible.

eliedinur

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:08:00 pm »

I imagine it would depend mostly on the printer, if it can print colors that are outside Adobe RGB.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:11:30 am »

Not necessarily.  That may be part of it.  But another aspect would be the rendering from the source space to the destination space.  Also take into account that if the camera image has been converted to AdobeRGB before printing from CS, there's already been one colour conversion done.  Then a second is done in the printing path when going from AdobeRGB to the paper profile.  In LR, printing from a RAW file there's only a single conversion being done.  That could impact how colours are converted too. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up