Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S2 30mm  (Read 33159 times)

theguywitha645d

Re: Leica S2 30mm
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2011, 10:20:11 am »

Film is so off my radar now and would like to know what area/ situation in which traditional film would be the preferred medium??

When film is preferred. Process does impart qualities.

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2011, 10:23:29 am »

When film is preferred. Process does impart qualities.

that cleared it up for me.. thanks!

telyt

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2011, 10:32:05 am »

And you can still use them with film - provided you can get the film  ;D

They can also be used on Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Canon and RED cameras: http://leitax.com/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:37:19 am by telyt »

telyt

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2011, 10:34:59 am »

takeoff by tsjanik47, on Flickr

This web-sized jpg photo is not convincing.  I prefer sharp frame-filling photos.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2011, 10:38:55 am »

Doug, what is the source of your information that Pentax telephoto lenses are not good? Tom, is not a wildlife photographer, he was just trying to help you out.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:42:00 am by theguywitha645d »

theguywitha645d

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:13 am »

that cleared it up for me.. thanks!

What do you expect for an answer? Except for a few types of photography or professional requirements, there is no "correct" method of making images. I just saw an exhibition of Ambrotypes.

With Bernard and Edmund and the film guy, this thread is really just turning into a troll.

ondebanks

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2011, 10:59:34 am »

just curious as to what need is still met with film?  Film is so off my radar now and would like to know what area/ situation in which traditional film would be the preferred medium??

Well, here's one need; niche-y perhaps, but no less important because of that. Film gives you more spectral flexibility than a digital sensor with factory-fixed filtration (such as in the S2, or any DSLR or EVIL).

I shot the example below on MF film (Kodak E200). The only way to get the red colour of the nebulae (at 656 nm wavelength) from a digital camera is to hack into the camera hardware: remove the IR-blocking filter altogether or replace it with a broader-bandpass one. This costs money (unless you're brave enough to do it yourself), violates the warranty, puts you in dubious territory regarding insurance cover, hits the resale value, and condemns you to setting unconventional custom white balances for all your daytime photography. Would you be willing to do this with the likes of an S2?!

Or, you could let the camera be, and load it with a €4 roll of E200... :)

Ray

telyt

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2011, 11:01:02 am »

Doug, what is the source of your information that Pentax telephoto lenses are not good? Tom, is not a wildlife photographer, he was just trying to help you out.

I didn't say that all Pentax telephoto lenses are not good, just that some are disappointing.

http://www.reddotforum.com/showthread.php/215-Leica-S2-meets-the-Leica-APO-Telyt-Modular-R-400mm-f-4!

Quoting David Farkas: "Our 400mm P67 lens has been on loan to a forum member here and is on its way back to us for comparative testing. Even without a side-by-side, it's safe to say that the Leica eats the Pentax lens for lunch. Much, much sharper. Easier to focus. Better contrast. Better build quality. The Leica can be used wide-open without penalty. The Pentax really needs to be shot at f/6.3 or f/8 to extract the best sharpness and then you are fighting shutter speed."

Quoting photophil: "My Pentax 400mm tests confirm that the performance is disappointing wide open but greatly improves stopped down 2 stops and even better at 3 stops"

tsjanik

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2011, 09:31:50 pm »

This web-sized jpg photo is not convincing.  I prefer sharp frame-filling photos.

Doug:

Nice shot.

I’m not sure I’d judge the sharpness of a lens based on a cropped, handheld, medium format shot with a 400mm lens.  I thought the image might interest you based on your signature and that it demonstrates good tracking AF, somewhat rare for medium format. 
I have found the lens can resolve to the limit of the sensor in my tests.
It appears you’ve made your choices and are simply looking for collaborative evidence.

Good luck,

Tom

telyt

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2011, 10:14:48 pm »

I’m not sure I’d judge the sharpness of a lens based on a cropped, handheld, medium format shot with a 400mm lens.

I agree completely.

I thought the image might interest you based on your signature and that it demonstrates good tracking AF

I appreciate the thought.  However I don't use AF and the posted photo, at least in a web-sized jpg, doesn't provide convincing evidence of its value.

The Pentax 67 400m lens' performance, as reported by others, is disappointing to me because I was hoping for a reasonably (for medium format) priced option at this focal length.  Excellent performance stopped down but not at full aperture isn't what I'm looking for.

grabshot

• http://www.ianwatts.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2011, 12:59:19 pm »

just curious as to what need is still met with film?  Film is so off my radar now and would like to know what area/ situation in which traditional film would be the preferred medium??

If you have to ask...

paulmoorestudio

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2011, 02:30:23 pm »

If you have to ask...

ok I get the ir while shooting neubula thing.. will keep that in mind when shooting those!..
..But for the life of me I can't fill in the blank on the above quote. I have shot film, almost every brand, stock and format made since 1971, so I have some grasp of film's capabilities and I don't think
that much has changed at kodak/fuji since 2005 when I stopped shooting it.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2011, 03:51:41 pm »

This here is the most hardcore set of Medium Format users on the net, people here have the most exotic stuff and no one has actually got an S2?
Does that say something about the S2?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

telyt

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2011, 03:55:47 pm »

This here is the most hardcore set of Medium Format users on the net, people here have the most exotic stuff and no one has actually got an S2?

I believe it says more about your perception.  This thread was started by an S2 user.

It may also say something about this forum.  Usually any mention of the S2 on this forum is met with hostility and complaints that it's over priced.  Most S2 users who are participating in internet forums are elsewhere.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:59:29 pm by telyt »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2011, 04:03:42 pm »

Situations with extreme highlights. Negative film may handle some situations differently than sensors.

BR
Erik

If you have to ask...
Erik Kaffehr

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2011, 04:22:46 pm »

Edmund

I have been shooting with the S2 for the past year. I am exceedingly happy with it.

I am off on a shoot tomorrow to Western Australia for a week and we have our own light plane to use. The s2 excels at aerial work over any other MF system because I can happily shoot at f2.8 with the 70mm or 120mm and keep my shutter speeds way high. Some of my colleagues have IQ180s and will struggle with ISO35 and slow lenses. Having said that I cannot compete when the tripods come out, 80MP trumps 40MP when we do our big prints.

No camera is perfect for all situations - I am finding the S2 is simply a very fine camera that does all I ask of it. And the lenses are second to none.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2011, 06:01:41 pm »

Sorry Nick -
 Happy you're happy!
 Peace.

Edmund

I have been shooting with the S2 for the past year. I am exceedingly happy with it.

I am off on a shoot tomorrow to Western Australia for a week and we have our own light plane to use. The s2 excels at aerial work over any other MF system because I can happily shoot at f2.8 with the 70mm or 120mm and keep my shutter speeds way high. Some of my colleagues have IQ180s and will struggle with ISO35 and slow lenses. Having said that I cannot compete when the tripods come out, 80MP trumps 40MP when we do our big prints.

No camera is perfect for all situations - I am finding the S2 is simply a very fine camera that does all I ask of it. And the lenses are second to none.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

paratom

« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2011, 06:37:03 pm »

#3 happy S2 (+Nikon) user here.

paulmoorestudio

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2011, 06:48:24 pm »

Situations with extreme highlights. Negative film may handle some situations differently than sensors.

BR
Erik

sadly the world of the negative is not very practical.. it just is not the best viewing medium, my clients were never very good at reading a properly exposed negative.. so it and transparencies gets digitized, and now we are back in the digital world.. all roads lead to pixels.. and really lets not even begin the discussion of traditional print latitudes. So not to beat a dead horse but..the fact that the  S2 will never have film in it is not a negative..no pun intended.

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »

ok I get the ir while shooting neubula thing.. will keep that in mind when shooting those!..
..But for the life of me I can't fill in the blank on the above quote. I have shot film, almost every brand, stock and format made since 1971, so I have some grasp of film's capabilities and I don't think
that much has changed at kodak/fuji since 2005 when I stopped shooting it.
I use a 4 x 5 Speed Graphics / Aero Ektar (178mm/f2.5) for portrait work on occasion - it give a unique look none of my Digital Equipment or processing techniques match to my satisfaction. I own it and film is cheap so if I want that look I shoot film.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up