Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple to discontinue Mac Pros?  (Read 19595 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Apple to discontinue Mac Pros?
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 05:14:32 am »

They do if you plug one in—then there are two screens. Voilà!

Yeah but who really wants to look at a gloss screen next to matt ???

There is little to zero chance of Apple offering the iMac in a matt option. Here in Australia you wait a week when you order a macbook pro with a matt screen as its classed as a custom build (I know, I just received my new macbook pro with matt screen). I just can't see Apple offering a matt option for the iMac. It seems the are trying to phase it out on MacBooks by making it a custom order.

Also, a lot macpro users (myself included) already run dual large wide gamut matt screens, plugging in one screen to an iMac for a gloss matt combination would just be weird...
Wild Nature Photo Travel

mediumcool

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2011, 05:34:49 am »

Yeah but who really wants to look at a gloss screen next to matt ???

I prefer matte screens too, and use a matte Dell 2410U with my 13" MBP, running menus or Finder windows on the smaller screen. I have no problem with the 13" gloss screen sitting under the Dull (er, Dell).
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 08:32:38 am »

An iMac might be an option if they had an anti-glare screen option, but they do not, do they?

Cheers, Bernard

The lighting conditions you work in make a huge physiological difference when judging tone and color. if you manage those conditions well, whether a display has a matte on gloss cover on it just isn't an issue.
I think I am a very careful worker.
- I work on a 27'  iMac (white LED backlit). I also have and use an Eizo CG Display.
- I do a good job of profiling my displays with a good tool (i1 Display Pro and i1 Profiler for the iMac; Color Navigator 6 and i1 Display Pro for the CG).
- I have a neutral colored wall behind my computer desk.
- When doing color critical work -- and I have some clients who are extremely sensitive about how their products are photographically rendered -- I simply make sure I don't have a light turned on that causes glare or reflections  on the screen. I'd describe it as a "dim cave" rather than a "dark" or "pitch black" cave.

Thus the lack of an anti-glare screen on the iMac just isn't an issue.  

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2011, 08:42:05 am »

The lighting conditions you work in make a huge physiological difference when judging tone and color. if you manage those conditions well, whether a display has a matte on gloss cover on it just isn't an issue.
I think I am a very careful worker.
- I work on a 27'  iMac (white LED backlit). I also have and use an Eizo CG Display.
- I do a good job of profiling my displays with a good tool (i1 Display Pro and i1 Profiler for the iMac; Color Navigator 6 and i1 Display Pro for the CG).
- I have a neutral colored wall behind my computer desk.
- When doing color critical work -- and I have some clients who are extremely sensitive about how their products are photographically rendered -- I simply make sure I don't have a light turned on that causes glare or reflections  on the screen. I'd describe it as a "dim cave" rather than a "dark" or "pitch black" cave.

Thus the lack of an anti-glare screen on the iMac just isn't an issue.  

Good it if works for you. Personally I'd rather wear whatever clothes I like and avoid having to work in a dark environment just to by-pass the limitations of my screen. :)

I like my equipment to work for me and not the opposite.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

mediumcool

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2011, 08:50:47 am »

Personally I'd rather wear whatever clothes I like …

Radius used to provide a black cape to go with their PressView monitors in the olden CRT days, along with a black monitor hood!

Ellis Vener

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 09:00:09 am »

Good it if works for you. Personally I'd rather wear whatever clothes I like and avoid having to work in a dark environment just to by-pass the limitations of my screen. :)

I like my equipment to work for me and not the opposite.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

a) Even if you have an "anti-glare" screen if you wear brightly colored clothes and work in a bright environment  there is going to be some color tint (but not much) reflected back from your screen.
b) If you are working in a brightly lit environment you are  creating a lot of physiological stress  on your visual sense that  limits your brain's ability to see down into the dark values.

These are well known phenomena and have nothign to do with the limitations of a device and would hold true even if you were working on the best displays money can buy.

Don't just take my word for it. See what the late Bruce Fraser and others have to say on the subject.

My equipment does work for me. I just don't assume that it is always smart enough to correct  the problems I cause. ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:05:37 am by Ellis Vener »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 10:35:47 am »

How about a TB based display with integrated graphics adapter + display?  Granted TB does support display only connections; but this could potentially offer a very nice 10 (or even higher) bit color solution with *no* compatibility worries . . . .

mediumcool

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 03:12:32 pm »

How about a TB based display with integrated graphics adapter + display?  Granted TB does support display only connections; but this could potentially offer a very nice 10 (or even higher) bit color solution with *no* compatibility worries . . . .

+1; nifty idea. And optionally matte.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »

Great idea. The Eizo CG's have their own graphics card built in.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 05:16:03 pm »

How do you manage bulk and noise generated by the fan required by fast GPUs?

Cheers,
Bernard

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 05:47:47 pm »

How do you manage bulk and noise generated by the fan required by fast GPUs?

Honestly, if you were running Adobe Premiere utilizing nVidia's CUDA cores, I would suspect that a display I'm proposing would be sub-optimal, as the application is leveraging GPU cores for rendering. High end nVidia adapters run HOT!  My experience with ATI is quite different, much cooler running; I would hope such a display would offer passive cooling

schrodingerscat

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 11:59:13 pm »

I've been using a MB Air with a gloss screen under a variety of conditions for a couple years now, and reflection haven't been pretty much unnoticeable. In my post work environment I keep a disbursed low-key lighting scheme, and a diffused lamp that baths the wall just behind the monitor. If I move the lamp to in front of the monitor I get reflections in my matte IPS screen. Think I'd be OK with the 27" imac, but still on the fence. If the gloss does present a problem, I can alway just yank the glass window off. (hmmmm, wonder if anyone's tried coating it with matte spray)

Every honker vid card I've seen has a built in fan. And the machines with 1G vid RAM surface mounted all have internal fans. Some even run a separate heat sink and fan just for the vid chip.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up