Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iq 180 noise after heavy use?  (Read 6367 times)

Jozef Zajaz

iq 180 noise after heavy use?
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:20:20 pm »

Hi!

I'm going over todays test shoot. Was testing the iq 180 in studio today. Pretty heavy, snapping alot of pictures. Not sure if its just me but i think i can see some noise at iso 100 on the pics in the end of the shoot.  The back fellt awfully warm compared to my p30+.

Anyone else experienced this?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:25:50 pm by Jozef Zajaz »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: iq 180 noise after heavy use?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »

I'm going over todays test shoot. Was testing the iq 180 in studio today. Pretty heavy, snapping alot of pictures. Not sure if its just me but i think i can see some noise at iso 100 on the pics in the end of the shoot.  The back fellt awfully warm compared to my p30+.

Hi Jozef,

Hard to comment without some visual feedback about what you call 'some noise'. How was the exposure in the sense of an ETTR exposure? From the DxOMark website it seems that there is an almost 2-stop overexposure latitude in the IQ180 ISO rating.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »

Hi Jozef,

Hard to comment without some visual feedback about what you call 'some noise'. How was the exposure in the sense of an ETTR exposure? From the DxOMark website it seems that there is an almost 2-stop overexposure latitude in the IQ180 ISO rating.

Cheers,
Bart

"How was the exposure in the sense of an ETTR exposure? From the DxOMark website it seems that there is an almost 2-stop overexposure latitude in the IQ180 ISO rating.
"

Makes no sense at all to me. Please explain :)

Will post pics when i can.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »

I don't have an IQ180, rather a Aptus 12 so just the base sensor similarities shared, but there is always noise in every ISO 100 shot.  I haven't figured out the rubric so far, but some shots have more noise than others - maybe heat, but there's the fan running all the time.   Why not shoot at ISO 50?  Or even the ISO 30 on the IQ180?
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:02:45 am »

Hi,

ISO rating on the back is far to high, probably in order to protect highlights. At least according to measurements by DxO.

So it may be possible to increase exposure significantly without clipping highlights.

Which raw developer do you use?

Best regards
Erik

"How was the exposure in the sense of an ETTR exposure? From the DxOMark website it seems that there is an almost 2-stop overexposure latitude in the IQ180 ISO rating.
"

Makes no sense at all to me. Please explain :)

Will post pics when i can.
Erik Kaffehr

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 05:20:07 am »

Ah I C

Capture one 6.3 of course.

ondebanks

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:32 am »

Hi!

Anyone else experienced this?

The OP's point is that there was an unacceptable degree of thermal dark noise kicking in as the shooting session went on. This stuff about ISO settings and ETTR is a red herring in this context - that would be a problem of readout and poisson noise; which may indeed be a sideline issue, but it is not one which varies with the "heaviness" of the camera usage.

So the real question is - since "The back fellt awfully warm compared to my p30+", have PhaseOne sacrificed some of their famous thermal management on moving from the P+ series to the IQ series?

You could get away with poorer thermal management with Kodak CCDs, since as CCDs go, they have rather low dark noise at a given temperature. But the IQ backs only use Dalsa CCDs, which are much higher in dark noise than the equivalent-generation Kodaks. If a manufacturer lets a Dalsa sensor get warm - image quality will suffer.

Is it possible to get a sensor temperature readout from any of the PhaseOne backs? My old Kodak Proback 645M displays the sensor temperature in real-time when tethered, and I know the Pentax 645D writes the temperature to its EXIF headers. Any other backs do one of these things?

Ray

theguywitha645d

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:33:08 am »

I know the Pentax 645D writes the temperature to its EXIF headers. Any other backs do one of these things?

Ray

It does? How do I find that? It certainly is not in the metadata in Bridge. Not that I can see, anyway. I didn't even know the camera had a thermometer.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »

Hard to comment without some visual feedback about what you call 'some noise'.

+1. We need a visual example to understand what you mean by "some noise".

Also would be good to know:
- which firmware version you are running
- whether you were using it on zero latency or standard latency

Generally speaking it will be faster for you if you start such questions with your dealer (assuming you have a dealer that you have a good relationship with) as it will eliminate the back and forth on such basic questions and eliminate potential red-herrings; the forum is really useful as a resource, but more useful if you've already done some basic questions with your dealer (or if you want other's opinions on what the dealer is telling you) and you're asking the forum for verification/further-opinions.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

ondebanks

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 06:52:49 pm »

It does? How do I find that? It certainly is not in the metadata in Bridge. Not that I can see, anyway. I didn't even know the camera had a thermometer.

Well, someone posted a link to a large set of indoor 645D test images in the past year or so, and when I examined the metadata (of which there was tonnes), the temperature was given in each one. I was impressed to find that it hardly changed at all in the course of a sequence of multi-second exposures. I haven't handled a 645D, so I've no idea whether this is written by default or how to activate it if it's not. Worth digging into the small print in the user manual perhaps? Or try running Exiftool on one of your files.

Ray

Jozef Zajaz

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:21:52 pm »

+1. We need a visual example to understand what you mean by "some noise".

Also would be good to know:
- which firmware version you are running
- whether you were using it on zero latency or standard latency

Generally speaking it will be faster for you if you start such questions with your dealer (assuming you have a dealer that you have a good relationship with) as it will eliminate the back and forth on such basic questions and eliminate potential red-herrings; the forum is really useful as a resource, but more useful if you've already done some basic questions with your dealer (or if you want other's opinions on what the dealer is telling you) and you're asking the forum for verification/further-opinions.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

My dealer is visiting me on thursday. Will take it up with him then :)

TH_Alpa

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:16:11 am »

Ray,

Yes, the Sinarbacks do indicate the sensor's temperature as well.

Thierry

Is it possible to get a sensor temperature readout from any of the PhaseOne backs? My old Kodak Proback 645M displays the sensor temperature in real-time when tethered, and I know the Pentax 645D writes the temperature to its EXIF headers. Any other backs do one of these things?

Ray

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 10:51:00 am »

Doug,
It would be a beautiful world if that were really true.  Typically I get more and better information through the forums on practical working questions about the gear or how to best use it. Dealers can usually answer policy and pricing questions and sometimes stuff about software/firmware too.    In general dealers a loathe to directly answer questions that expose the pink underbelly of the beast, but users are more than happy too.
Rolleiflex USA

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 11:44:16 am »

Doug,
It would be a beautiful world if that were really true.  Typically I get more and better information through the forums on practical working questions about the gear or how to best use it. Dealers can usually answer policy and pricing questions and sometimes stuff about software/firmware too.    In general dealers a loathe to directly answer questions that expose the pink underbelly of the beast, but users are more than happy too.

It's unfortunate that the majority of dealers fall into this category. That said, there are dealers out there who are truly responsive, who actually encourage the sticky issues - so that they learn - and have the benefit of an extremely large sample size (hundreds if not thousands of user experiences) to draw from compared to a public forum with a smaller select number of user experiences with which to troubleshoot any issues one would have. Those same dealers also can have very deep access and input into a given manufacturer's development and engineering team, can ascertain difficult to obtain information, and even effect change rapidly with that direct interaction for a client.

However, I also find the forum to be valuable, because while the sample size of users is relatively small compared to the overall installed base of the product, the users who are present are often very forthcoming in their desire to be of help. You just have to be aware the information isn't always accurate nor reflective of what is typical of the product's performance. But on the whole, I think good, specialized dealers (who are, by the way, available to just about anyone who chooses to do business with them, as opposed to poor, unresponsive, unknowledgeable dealers) and savvy forum contributors make a good 1-2 punch, as Jozef is finding out.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:11:51 pm »

Steve,
Maybe, but still I prefer to hear from users who shoot the cameras hard and try different things to get jobs done, because they'll encounter the problems and issues like the OP's question more often.  That's why this forum here at LuLa is great - you get both the users and the dealers at the same time.
Rolleiflex USA

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 01:37:16 pm »

Steve,
Maybe, but still I prefer to hear from users who shoot the cameras hard and try different things to get jobs done, because they'll encounter the problems and issues like the OP's question more often.  That's why this forum here at LuLa is great - you get both the users and the dealers at the same time.

Ummm...well I think that is what I just said if you'll go back and read my post.  ::)

That said, working with a specialized dealer does not exclude you from end user experiences, in fact, it expands upon that because the users who work the camera hard are the ones we hear from the most, and our sample rate - again - is hundreds, thousands of user experiences.

Both sources are valuable (like I said).  :)

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

chrismuc

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28:37 am »

What I am wondering is why all that technical advices in Phase One product questions in LuLu and GetDpi come from Capture Integration guys but not from Phase One people.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:50 am »

Steve, who would you contact if you needed info on the AFi or any Rollei stuff?    ;)

Unfortunately, mostly I give information to the dealers on the equipment I use, and they are often surprised at all the things it can do.  I've only gotten information on the capture one software from dealers.  Hasselblad tech guys know a bit about Rollei, and Yair knows a fair bit about it but these aren't dealers.   I've gotten almost everything I know about the rollei 6008AF, Hy6/AFi and X-Act2 from other users, most from this forum, and I'm thankful for it.
Rolleiflex USA

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »

This gets away from the OP, I have always found Phase One's setup a bit odd.  No phone support, yes you enter a tech support issue and get a case number but still I have always liked to have to option to speak to someone.  And most times they are responsive, being in Denmark and many time zones away.  

The dealers I have used in the past Capture Integration and Digital Transitions have been very helpful but as a rule most companies stillhave a tech support line, and dealer support structure.  I have no experience with Sinar/Lear/Hassiblad, just Phase One for medium format so I don't know if they offer a person at the other end.  

Eric's point is well taken, as many times in the past I tended to lead by forum then go to dealer, however recently I have reversed this path. I also feel location is very key to this issue.  With Canon or Nikon or any other 35mm most any city in the US will have a local knowledge base, however with Phase One, you are very limited to hands on learning, hardware or software unless you live near or in the Major US cities.   This
more than anything else is what caused me to be forum first dealer second.  

Actually the dealer presence on this forum has grown and that is a positive to me.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 07:43:56 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Guy Mancuso

• http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 01:37:02 pm »

I'm in Phoenix not a dealer near me for hundreds of miles but my phone works great and get great support from them. Okay I own a forum and it is very useful no question but sometimes a dealer truly has the correct solution for you and I would not buy any of this gear without a dealer backing me especially with a back i bought.

But that is not why I posted today. The reality is going back to the Op's question is any CCD sensor will create noise when it gets hot or very warm. The question is when does that happen. Without knowing how warm your back got its hard for us to say but the reality is sure it will happen at some temperature point. I shoot my Tech cam at zero latency and if i keep it on all the time it will get very warm and it will most likely create noise if i let it get to a certain point. I just don't know exactly when that is. So after heavy use sure it is certainly possible for any of the backs be it Hassy, Phase, Leaf or Sinar that a back can get hot enough to do it. The question is when does it occur. Each system has cooling systems built in be it passive or fans but I'm not sure which one one could say better handles it or not and don't really care what each one would claim either. I live in the desert it gets hotter than blazing hell here and i do take some precautions working in the heat just like I would with myself at 120 degrees bearing down on me. Its a sensor that electricity running through it and given the ambient temperture here it only makes sense it will get hot. So really after heavy use i would not be surprised if noise did enter into the fold. The real question is when does tat occur. Not sure anyone truly has a answer for that.
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up