Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre dawn  (Read 818 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Pre dawn
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:16:33 am »

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, there I was, stood in the freezing pre dawn cold, stamping my feet and rubbing my hands waiting for the sun to come up, I could hardly see my hand in front of my face it was that dark, so I used a really long exposure, as I knew the camera would stack up the photons to reveal a whole lot more than I could actually see.

Thoughts and critiques welcome.

Dave (UK)

sdwilsonsct

Re: Pre dawn
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:27:38 am »

I could hardly see my hand in front of my face it was that dark, so I used a really long exposure, as I knew the camera would stack up the photons to reveal a whole lot more than I could actually see.

Interesting approach, Dave. Reminds of the recent "aurora" picture from Arches, using the camera to photograph what our eyes cannot see. Of course the astrophotographers have been doing this for a long time. This will make composition even more challenging. Scott

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »

Neat stuff, Dave. Was it handheld?!!!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »

Neat stuff, Dave. Was it handheld?!!!

Touché...   :D ;D

Only way I could focus with camera firmly mounted on my tripod - as always ::) was to use the Petzel on a spot I thought to be somewhere around one third into the scene and then guess at the exposure time.

Nice one Russ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up