Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C2PS download system confusing  (Read 3217 times)

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
C2PS download system confusing
« on: October 29, 2011, 02:20:14 pm »

I bought the new Camera to Print and Screen series, and I find the system of listing download zip files confusing.

I keep the episode video files in a folder on my PC. At this moment they go from 1 (Intro) to 23 (Soft Proofing). Once I have extracted the episodes I discard the zip files. When it is announced that new zip files have been posted for download, I go to the download page of my order. At this moment the zip files go from 1 to 12. It is not obvious which zip files are new. The table does not show when a zip file was posted, so I can't tell if it's new since the last time I downloaded. The table also doesn't tell you what episodes are in each zip file, so I can't tell whether a zip file contains episodes I haven't downloaded yet.

I can either try to remember what zip file I downloaded last (although my memory usually fails me), or I can go through the extra step of downloading the TOC PDF (which is itself mysteriously zipped even though that saves almost no space).

So today I see in the What's New section that new videos will be posted. I downloaded the latest zip file, number 12, only to be reminded after I extracted it that it's the Soft Proofing episode which I already have.

The information that "A tutorial on the use of Lens Align has also been added to the fifth zip file of the Guide to Image Quality which is identified as a Placeholder" is even more cryptic. There is no fifth zip file of the Guide to Image Quality--it spans four zip files, 2 through 5. And I have no idea where it is identified as a placeholder.

I am enjoying the series very much and I look forward to new episodes. I'm sorry for being long winded, and this is by no means a major issue, but I think it would be very easy to add either the posting date or the episode numbers in the table of downloads. That way one could tell at a glance what zip files to download. Or perhaps I'm missing something really obvious?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: C2PS download system confusing
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:56:11 pm »

No you are missing nothing obvious and the problem is solved as you say by looking at the Table of Contents which is available in several places.

All the relevant information is on the first page of it.

The announcement on What's New was premature and likely leads to confusion (it has now been removed) - but is simply an attempt to keep anxious customers up-to-date.

Unfortunately the basic shopping cart software we use does not allow for editing text easily in the mySQL organization of files; the zip file names are necessarily short. The cart requires zip files.

If you have the Guide to Image Quality - simply download the fifth file.

That new video on Lens Align is not yet available in the Camera to Print & Screen zip files but will be soon.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:23:36 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »

Sorry, but now I'm also pretty confused :

The last video I can find in my card is ZIP12, which I already have downloaded. I've bought the complete video set from camera to print and screen.

What will I have to do now ?

Btw, is the cideo on LensAlign the same as can be found here on the webpage in the public part ?

Many thanks and best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

What will I have to do now ?
Just wait another hour or so and the file will be finished uploading and will appear within c2ps-13.zip

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 03:22:39 pm »

Ok, thanks !

Btw, is it the same video as on the public place here in this page ?

'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:26:12 pm »

... is it the same video as on the public place here in this page ?
Nope - a couple of new videos: one on Lens Align and the second on Working Environment & Equipment within an imaging room.

UPDATE: now in place 16:00 EDT
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:00:23 pm by Chris Sanderson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up