Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are my cameras' clocks not more accurate? Or is it me?  (Read 1691 times)

Michael Bailey

Why are my cameras' clocks not more accurate? Or is it me?
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:36:49 pm »

Hello,

The clocks on my two Nikon bodies seem to drift apart over time. When I checked last, they were a full two minutes apart, even though I know I'd synchronized them not more than a month or two ago.

Am I being a crank to assume that these digital marvels ought to keep better time, or am I doing something wrong with their care and feeding?

It's not like it's a big deal to synchronize them on the computer more often. It would just be nice to not have to think about it, at least until Daylight Savings Time starts and stops.

MB

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Why are my cameras' clocks not more accurate? Or is it me?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 07:12:46 pm »

Hello,

The clocks on my two Nikon bodies seem to drift apart over time. When I checked last, they were a full two minutes apart, even though I know I'd synchronized them not more than a month or two ago.

Am I being a crank to assume that these digital marvels ought to keep better time, or am I doing something wrong with their care and feeding?

The key question is whether you are really treating them equally. Are you totally sure that you have not developed some form of subtle liking for one over the other that would translate subliminally in your communication?

Cheers,
Bernard

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »

Normal ;) ;)

2 reasons:

1. Clock X-tal of cameras are not accurate.
2. X-tal is not thermaly controlled as watch (your body act as an 37°C oven).

But if drift is really too high, X-tal clock is certainly defective.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

hjulenissen

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 04:33:27 pm »

Normal ;) ;)

2 reasons:

1. Clock X-tal of cameras are not accurate.
2. X-tal is not thermaly controlled as watch (your body act as an 37°C oven).

But if drift is really too high, X-tal clock is certainly defective.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry
Would this be the same mechanism that controls the exposure time, or are those two functions separated?

-h

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:19:44 pm »

The real-time clock is generally its own subsystem, as it needs power even when the camera is powered down.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 01:02:19 am »

It's not just you!  I can't imagine why these devices can't keep time better than a $0.25 fake Timex from the dollar store!!  THere really is NO excuse other than no one has complained enough and they are cheap/lazy about it.

Michael Bailey

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 12:24:57 pm »

Thanks for your responses. It's reassuring, though disappointing, to find that I'm not the cause of the problem. I guess I'll just have to calibrate the cameras more often.

Still, I should take Bernard's advice about treating both of them with more respect. I'll stop telling the D-700 that it'll never be clever enough to get into a really good college, even though, deep down, I know it's true. As Tolstoy probably never said, "Happy camera bags are all alike; every unhappy camera bag is unhappy in its own way."

Thanks again.  MB
Pages: [1]   Go Up