Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky and Rock  (Read 2333 times)

churly

Sky and Rock
« on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:37 pm »

Sky and rock in Wyoming.  This is a bit of an experiment so any comments appreciated.  I suspect this one may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Chuck Hurich

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Sky and Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 03:31:13 am »

I think it has potential but (there's always a but)

- the foreground is on the drab side;
- there's a great bit of interesting sky in the centre but too much dull, largely featureless sky above it (yes, there's a little interest on the right but not enough);
- I think you've overdone the toning.

FWIW

Jeremy

churly

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:02:08 pm »

Thanks for the comments Jeremy.  I was going for a kind of drab, leathery look and I guess what you are saying is that is what I got - it just isn't all that interesting.

For grins I have added a couple of much more traditional shots from the "sky and Rock" series I have been working on. 

Chuck Hurich

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:19:17 pm »

I like that there is a certain stylistic cohesion in the last three shots you posted. Maybe a bit over the top in mid-tone contrast and sharpening, but it does generate a certain unifying "look". The first image, however, is way below the level of the last three.

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 03:21:47 pm »

First one....for me, way to complex the crop doesn't help  the main problem is there is no real focal point so the eye has to struggle to make sense of things.

Other three are very good i particularly like the definition in the cloud on the first...superb.

shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:39:40 pm »

I like that there is a certain stylistic cohesion in the last three shots you posted. Maybe a bit over the top in mid-tone contrast and sharpening, but it does generate a certain unifying "look". The first image, however, is way below the level of the last three.

My thoughts exactly.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

churly

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 04:32:21 pm »

Yes - they are a bit too crunchy at this scale.  I've been trying to push my comfort zone a bit lately - sometimes it works and sometimes not.  It's nice to get honest, constructive comments without the load of flames that seems to be the norm on some sites.
Chuck Hurich

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:55:46 am »

Thanks for the comments Jeremy.  I was going for a kind of drab, leathery look and I guess what you are saying is that is what I got - it just isn't all that interesting.
Precisely!

I agree with the others that the next three are in a different league, particularly (IMHO) the third. In the first two, though (particularly #1) I notice what looks like dark edging to the upper parts of the cloud, which is something I see frequently when I push b&w conversions in Lightroom a little too hard (blue slider all the way to the left). I don't, of course, know what tools you use.

It's nice to get honest, constructive comments without the load of flames that seems to be the norm on some sites.
We have our share of trolls but for the most part you have put your finger on what draws me back here.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up