Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban landscape with RED Epic done by Peter Lik  (Read 31853 times)

andyptak

Re: Urban landscape with RED Epic done by Peter Lik
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2011, 10:59:14 am »

No matter what the equipment, in the end it's what's in a person's head that counts. I'm sure that Adams or Avedon would have done a wonderful job with a Brownie camera.

I'm more intetested in what the panning technique and post processing were because we can all learn from that. While good equipment is important, this thread seems to be totally gear lust and not about technique.

Does anyone have any info or know where to find it about the various techniques employed here? Thanks

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »

No matter what the equipment, in the end it's what's in a person's head that counts. I'm sure that Adams or Avedon would have done a wonderful job with a Brownie camera.

I'm more intetested in what the panning technique and post processing were because we can all learn from that. While good equipment is important, this thread seems to be totally gear lust and not about technique.

Does anyone have any info or know where to find it about the various techniques employed here? Thanks

+1

I've tried registering on the reduser forum 3 weeks ago as I wanted to ask a few questions and to try and get some direct answers about the technique....my registration hasn't been approved by admin yet....oh well...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:37 pm »

Did you register with your real name or an alias? Also, I think registration is automatic so you need to check your spam-trap folder.

Graeme

bcooter

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2011, 01:17:49 pm »

snip.......I wanted to ask a few questions ..........snip

I don't know how this image was done, but if I was doing it with our RED's I'd just pan it across for motion, probably at 30 fps, 100/th of a sec. minimum as I don't see any strobbing on the RED at those settings.

Then for safety I'd do it again, holding position between pans for sharpness then stitch it together in photoshop (for the still).

To stitch the motion I'd probably go to our effects company.

As far as HDR and the look I don't really know why anyone needs it with the RED as it holds more highlight to shadow than any digital device I've used.

A week ago we were shooting lifestyle advertising on the beach and used about every still camera I own.  As the sun was behind us none of the still cameras held as much as the RED.  Not even close.

The stills required a lot more artificial fill.

In fact as we pre light a scene, it's easy to set up the RED and use it as a live-view polaroid, except you have to keep it in your head that what the RED sees the still cameras don't so you have to adjust.

Yair, since you represent high end cameras you should probably get your hands on a RED One or an Epic and see for yourself.

IMO

BC

philipmccormick

• http://www.pmccormickphoto.com
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »

I presume Bernard was meaning "why" artistically-speaking. I saw this guy's work in his gallery in Vegas (surely the same one?) and it was mostly crass kitsch, over-the-top stuff like this. Sure, he makes a fortune selling it to Joe public. But mostly, Joe public doesn't see beyond an initial, cheap "wow factor". A great money maker but a mediocre artist, at best.
Philip

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2011, 02:37:34 pm »

... a mediocre artist, at best.

Would you then care to share who you consider a superior artist (among the contemporary landscape photographers, that is)? Just so that we can see what are the standards you judge against. Just curious.

philipmccormick

• http://www.pmccormickphoto.com
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2011, 05:31:18 am »

Would you then care to share who you consider a superior artist (among the contemporary landscape photographers, that is)? Just so that we can see what are the standards you judge against. Just curious.

No, but there are tons of them. I won't go into them here as it's way off topic, if I can be bothered I'll do so in a more relevant forum section. Actually, i shouldn't even have put up my first post for that very reason, but I was swayed by a few others having similarly gone off course earlier in the thread! The subject here concerns the technical merits of the Epic and what it means for the future - as far as that's concerned the camera is obviously pretty compelling.
Philip
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up