Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FCPX ... some words of wisdom, don't get stung by this issue ...  (Read 2019 times)

John Schweikert

---
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:48:51 am by John-S »

fredjeang

Re: FCPX ... some words of wisdom, don't get stung by this issue ...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 05:57:51 am »

John,

FCP X is not ready, it's a glimpse of what we can expect in future NLE usability, but it's full of hassles.

Therefore, despite tempting, doing a serious stuff on that software was very risky.

Video pipeline is messy and complex enough so we really want stability and reliability. The consequences are way more tragic than for stills and IMO there is no room for
things that aren't ready, even if they present a better usability for the people like us photographers who are not willing to eat long and complex learning curve.

There is IMO no short-cut. Motion is another planet and I think we should all meditate about that fact. As photographers, we tend to want motion "the easy way", wich is not a bad idea,
but I don't know any serious production house here that has embrassed a FCPX. Mostly photographers and indy videographers can afford that, but then
the price to pay doesn't last long to show-up. We want fast results, easy learning curves, cheap and intuitive softwares according to our criteriums and being operative in a few months,
when it takes years to the pros of motion to be just average. I'm afraid this is not the way it works here. We'll get to it in the future I'm sure, but today not yet.

We should call a cat, a cat: motion requires a lot more dedication in softwares training and very stable and proofed workflows and money.
I read so many times in Creative Cow that the guys who learned Smoke (for ex), had quite a bad time in the learning curve, but then, they work 10 time faster and certainly faster and
more reliable than with a FCPX. They suffer first, and have fun then, but we want to have fun first and then we end to suffer later.

We shouldn't beleive this mystic that motion can be so easy, if we want to do it seriously it's damn demanding, in all the pipeline involved, softwares included. I'm not saying that for you, because I'm aware you know it,
but for all the people who want to do the step and think that a 250 bucks FCPX is going to save them the harsh learning and investment the pros in this industry have been through...well, they might have a surprise when go deeper into it.

I saw that with myself. More than once I've been feeling frustrations on the Avid's particular (non-intuitive to me) implementation and the fact that the consequent learning is harder than Premiere Pro, but it's only when I really progress that I realise how it is a time saver later and how efficient it is. First I said: "what the hell"...then, ah ah...
There is no mystery why Avid runs the TV and Hollywood rooms. It's very unfriendly to learn but it works damn well. Nuke is the same etc...
Any kid takes a Premiere Pro and starts immediatly to edit. With Avid, no, and if you don't practise regularly you forget it. But if you do practise regularly, if it's your job, you go faster and secure (and I suspect even faster than with FCPx).

Cooter, who first was hostile on FCPx, then saw its potential, never stopped to warn us here about not doing any serious project on this software for the moment.  
Your post confirms that fact, as many have experienced since its birth.

Apple beta test live with users...not very kind but truth.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:20:44 am by fredjeang »

schaubild

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 12:09:15 pm »

The fact that PP seems to change something in a file you only watched (and didn't save I hope) would make me seriously nervous.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:10:55 pm by schaubild »

pschefz

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 02:20:44 am »

if i read the story correctly this is actually pp.'s fault and not fcpx's...

but absolutely, yes, there should be a reconnect option in fcpx....
i have heard a similar story, in this one the files were moved and the user was able to reconnect the files (moved them back?)...

i would be seriously worried about what pp actually does to the "raw" files if the meta data is changed in a way that fcpx can't find them anymore....
schefz.com
artloch.com

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:46:22 am »

While I'm still trying to get more facts about PP, .........snip.

DTA.  (don't trust anyone).

I don't believe it's apple, or adobe or the motion imagery gods, I' just believe that this stuff is complicated.

When we do a large project we put all the raws and processed pro rezz, graphics, fcp projects, effects on it's own fiber optic drive and never move them.  (we add to them, just never move them, or open them in any other program, whether it's FCP 7, X or anything).

Every night our project is backed up on a raid drive in complete duplication.

If we need to move them and go to color, or Di-vinici, we do a new FCP project collect the data though the data manager and then work on that projects as a revise, from a separate drive but once again we never move the original files from the fiber optic and backup drives.

Motion post production is a monster and right now we're into some very long and heavy projects.  I can't imagine, losing any of them and John, my heart goes out to you.

BTW:  You can/could export an XML of the FCP X project to import into FCP 7.

P.S.  We just wired our LA facility to cat 6 and I had planned to run everything through a central server.  Right now until the post production world settles down, I think we'll just stick with sneaker net.

IMO

BC

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:11:49 am »

Also, if I remember well (there are so much things to remember on that...) PP store (or transfer) the metadatas in the project folder and do not read them from the source. You can check that way, I don't remember exactly this problem but it was something of this genre, if you have some free time have a look on your PP project folder where the xml are.  

James is absolutly right about the importance of having the originals in a fort knox drive, some even transfer a copy in a different location in case of fire etc...

It is true that this is really complex and like any complex thing, it can fail quite easily, and it does. This is why I thing that it's important to avoid new things that are not ready yet, even if the problem might not come from FCPx, you'll have this Damocles sword all the time over your head that it could fail for another reason tomorrow.

I came to the conclusion, despite my hunger of more simple and intuitive workflow, that in motion I tend to be much more conservative now and try to rely on proofed "older" solutions. If others want to beta test, that's fine, but IMO this is already enough messy and complicated to not add uncertainties on the chain.

On that line of thinking, I even like less and less the video formats and try to focus the workflow on image sequences as much as I can, because HD are cheap now and I prefer burning tons of teras in h.drives, but the IS workflow is stable, secure, doesn't consume computer calculations and hassle-free, but not always possible true.

Yesterday I did DPX from RedCine X, it always takes time to queue render and files are huge but then, it's the end of the hassles.

Best luck.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:47:44 am by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up