Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help printing Museo Artists Cards on Epson 3880  (Read 7827 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Need help printing Museo Artists Cards on Epson 3880
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »

I am unable to find the correct media type for my 3880, printing out of CS5.  Somewhere on Crane's site, it says to use "Enhanced Matte," but this is not one of the options available on my printer set-up.  Also, what is the paper thickness, and is it best to print from the sheet feeder or from the manual rear feeder?

Thanks,
Rob

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Need help printing Museo Artists Cards on Epson 3880
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 03:33:39 pm »

It should be there.
Printer Settings
Media Type
Matte Paper
Enhanced Matte Paper

I do not use my 3800 much anymore but remember printing my Museo Artist Cards through the straight path front feed.
Not sure if the 3880 is different.
Crane should have an online specification sheet for the product that would have the thickness.

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »

Check Museo's site as Crane does not own this product any longer. You should be able to find card templates and printing info. I'd use the rear feeder for the cards. The front feeder is for much thicker material. No need to use the front on cards and it may present some issues since they are much smaller than most front feed sheets.
Randy Carone

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »

Enhanced Matte is not an available option on the R3000 Epson driver.
Maybe also not on the latest drivers of the R3880?

The Museo web site still refers to Enhanced Matte for the R3000....

cheers
afx

robgo2

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:11:13 pm »

I contacted Museo's technical support and was told that the Media Type is PPM, which I take to be Presentation Paper Matte.  Actually, there are three levels of PPM in the Epson Driver, so I guess that I will have to experiment with all three, unless someone knows which is the correct one to use.

Rob

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:21 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, Enhanced Matte became ULTRA Premium Presentation Paper when Epson changed the names of all their papers.  The Premium Presentation Paper was formerly "Heavyweight Matte Paper", a step down in the matte paper hierarchy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:14:35 pm by Rick Popham »

robgo2

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:54:20 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, Enhanced Matte became ULTRA Premium Presentation Paper when Epson changed the names of all their papers.  The Premium Presentation Paper was formerly "Heavyweight Matte Paper", a step down in the matte paper hierarchy.

Thanks for that very valuable piece of information.  Museo needs to update their printing instructions to conform with the latest printer drivers.

Rob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 12:03:26 pm »

Thanks for that very valuable piece of information.  Museo needs to update their printing instructions to conform with the latest printer drivers.

Rob
Sorry for weighing in late.  I print a fair amount of cards on my 3880 and use the PPM setting.  You can use the sheet feeder for these cards since they are thin enough and it makes it pretty easy to get in the rhythm of printing up a bunch of them.

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »

I use
Museo profile from their site
Ultra premium ppm
level 4 quality
sheet feet thickness gap at 3

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:00:57 pm »

I've seen some sheet feeding issues with this paper on my epson 2400. I find I need to clean the pickup roller with alcohol after every 20 prints then it feeds better again.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

robgo2

My experience so far
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 10:01:38 pm »

Well, I have been using Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte media type and paper width of 4 with very good results.  I have been using the sheet feeder, but it can only handle one sheet at a time.  I am using ABW exclusively, and the Dmax is certainly not as great as with my usual paper (Canson Platine,) but for the purpose, it is adequate.

Rob 

Alan Goldhammer

Re: My experience so far
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 08:18:29 am »

I am using ABW exclusively, and the Dmax is certainly not as great as with my usual paper (Canson Platine,) but for the purpose, it is adequate.
Rob 
That is to be expected as it is a matte paper and Canson Plantine is glossy.  My Dmax measurements are 1.6 and 2.2 respectively.

robgo2

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 11:57:07 am »

That is to be expected as it is a matte paper and Canson Plantine is glossy.  My Dmax measurements are 1.6 and 2.2 respectively.

Alan,

I did not expect the matte paper to equal the glossy paper in Dmax.  I was just making an observation.  I think that the Museo looks good for B&W, especially if the image is predominantly one of light and mid-tones.  Darker images with lots of blacks look a bit tepid, at least in comparison to how I am accustomed to seeing them printed.  Matte has a different aesthetic, and there are many fine art printers who use it almost exclusively for all of their work.  For me, it works well for the purpose of making fine art cards.

Rob

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 05:46:19 pm »

Alan,

I did not expect the matte paper to equal the glossy paper in Dmax.  I was just making an observation.  I think that the Museo looks good for B&W, especially if the image is predominantly one of light and mid-tones.  Darker images with lots of blacks look a bit tepid, at least in comparison to how I am accustomed to seeing them printed.  Matte has a different aesthetic, and there are many fine art printers who use it almost exclusively for all of their work.  For me, it works well for the purpose of making fine art cards.

Rob
No disagreement with you on this point at all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up