Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon TSE on MF Back  (Read 2851 times)

harshdreams

Canon TSE on MF Back
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:31:53 pm »

I am an architectural photographer and am currently happy with my 5DM2 and the new Canon 24/17mm TSE lenses. The lure of higher DR leading to better shadow and highlight details has made me think towards a MF digital back, the costs of replacing the entire DSLR system and getting into a MF solution is exhorbitant and hence was wondering if anyone had experience in combining the Canon TSE lenses with MF backs. I have read about the Hcam-B1 by Stefan but would like to here about any architectural photographers having used this combination in field. I like the perceptive offered by 24mm, even 17mm is to wide but it is useful in some situations, with HCam the 24mm and 17mm will give you a much wider view due to sensor size and even if one were to crop the advantage of a MF resolution gets negated. I would like to her some expert opinions on 1. Whether the Canon TSE lenses have enough resolution power to match a MF back and 2. Best hardware to adapt these lenses to MF back. Thanks, Harshan

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Canon TSE on MF Back
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:54:20 am »

I am an architectural photographer and am currently happy with my 5DM2 and the new Canon 24/17mm TSE lenses. The lure of higher DR leading to better shadow and highlight details has made me think towards a MF digital back, the costs of replacing the entire DSLR system and getting into a MF solution is exhorbitant and hence was wondering if anyone had experience in combining the Canon TSE lenses with MF backs.

Hi Harshan,

I cannot help you with the MF fitting part, other than that their DR is overrated by many. So before you venture off into mixed platform solutions, I have to ask; have you explored Exposure blending? There is terrific software available to deal with most multi-exposure drawbacks. I'm more than satisfied with SNS-HDR to do the blending and de-ghosting for me, and I'm now able to cover huge dynamic range lighting situations (I like natural light) with my 1Ds3, and produce natural looking tonemapped output. Because the shadow exposures used in an exposure bracketed series can have very high quality, the dynamic range is no issue. The only drawback of this approach is with potential subject movement or outdoor lighting changes caused by clouds between exposures.

I would like to her some expert opinions on 1. Whether the Canon TSE lenses have enough resolution power to match a MF back

That depends on where you draw the line qualitywise. In my experience with the TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II the image quality outside an image circle of +/- 7mm shift (so covering something like 50mm) is too low compared with the image center for my taste. That would be good enough for most cropped MF sensors, but would not leave much room for shift (but then the 17mm, assuming it performs similarly well as the 24mm, doesn't need much).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 12:55:22 pm »

To get a larger dynamic range in my architectural and some commercial still life work and realistic color and tonal relationships (along with the extended tone scale) I am using Timothy Armes'  Enfuse plug-in for Lightroom. It is described here  http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php   and here: http://photographers-toolbox.com/blog/2008/12/lrenfuse-for-interiors/ and can be purchased from the same site.

CptZar

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00:56 pm »

I guess you read this article

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/hartblei-cam.shtml

"if I were in need of what the HCam can offer I would hands-down purchase the 24mm lens as my primary go-to lens and would use it without hesitation for any project and wouldn't hesitate to use it with maximum movements. And, if at the end of the fiscal year my accountant told me that I had a spare $2,500 to spend, or give it to the tax man, I'd likely get the 17mm as well, simply because it can offer a perspective on the world that has to be seen to be believed."

I had a look at the HCAM, and it is the only MF camera which uses TS lenses, beside one Schneider MF TS lens. You can use the Canon lenses, as well as the outstanding Zeiss Hartblei lenses. There is no other MF camera which can do this.

Rgds

Jan

harshdreams

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:01:54 am »

I cannot help you with the MF fitting part, other than that their DR is overrated by many. So before you venture off into mixed platform solutions, I have to ask; have you explored Exposure blending? There is terrific software available to deal with most multi-exposure drawbacks. I'm more than satisfied with SNS-HDR to do the blending and de-ghosting for me, and I'm now able to cover huge dynamic range lighting situations (I like natural light) with my 1Ds3, and produce natural looking tonemapped output. Because the shadow exposures used in an exposure bracketed series can have very high quality, the dynamic range is no issue. The only drawback of this approach is with potential subject movement or outdoor lighting changes caused by clouds between exposures.

That depends on where you draw the line qualitywise. In my experience with the TS-E 24mm f/3.5 II the image quality outside an image circle of +/- 7mm shift (so covering something like 50mm) is too low compared with the image center for my taste. That would be good

Thanks for the reply Bart, I am currently using the exposure fusion available in photomatix and shall try out SNS-HDR. Regarding quality of TS-E lenses, i am pretty satisfied with what i see but you are right beyond 7-8mm of shift it can go down a bit and thus i can understand how this may have an impact while using with MF backs, hence even if one were to use it with HCam-B1 by Hartblei this issue will stay.

harshdreams

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:06 am »

To get a larger dynamic range in my architectural and some commercial still life work and realistic color and tonal relationships (along with the extended tone scale) I am using Timothy Armes'  Enfuse plug-in for Lightroom. It is described here  http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrenfuse.php   and here: http://photographers-toolbox.com/blog/2008/12/lrenfuse-for-interiors/ and can be purchased from the same site.

Hi Ellis, i have tried enfuse but find exposure fusion within photomatix slightly better and easier to handle. I shall now try the programme suggested by Bart. BTW Ellis- what system do you use to shoot architecture currently? thanks & regards, Harshan

harshdreams

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:07:47 am »

Hi Bart, I just realised that SNS-HDR is not available for Mac  :-[

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 08:56:26 am »

"BTW Ellis- what system do you use to shoot architecture currently?"

thank you for asking Harshan,

For medium format work I rent Phase One back based systems from Capture Integration (http://www.captureintegration.com. For 24x36mm format based work I mostly use a Canon EOS-1Ds MArk III with various lenses. For camera support with either medium format or 35mm ased DSLR's I  use a Gitzo 410C tripod 320 with a Foba ASMIA head and, as needed , the Really Right Stuff PG-02 Omni-Pivot Package -either the full package (PCL-1, CB-10, PG-02 VA + clamp, and MPR-II "nodal slide") or just the necessary components of that kit as required by a specific photo. I also have a CB-18 camera bar, a second PCL-1, and a CRD-Rail   to add to that kit as needed. If I am strictly going to be making a panoramas I'll use the larger Manfrotto leveling base.

After extensive testing i went with the RRS panoramic gear (I started with the original Ultimate-Omni-Pivot-Pro) over a dedicated panoramic support solution because of RRS's mechanical qualities and modular design. The weak point in the Ultimate-Omni-Pivot-Pro is the use of the second PCL-1 to set vertical angle; even RRS acknowledges this. The rotating joint in the head of the PG-02 VA is much stronger.

I use the Gitzo's because I've owned them forever and the 410 C is very stable even when at full extended height. it is heavy as all get out (And the ASMIA isn't exactly light either but it's movements are extremely smooth, precise and lock down tightly with very little pressure.)

I have also used the Nikon D3x and it is a great camera, but I own the Canons so those are the cameras I use the most.

Raw processing is done with either Capture One  for the Phase One files or Lightroom 3.5. Post processing is mostly done in Photoshop CS 5 Extended with the PhotoKit Sharpener II plug-in  and Mac Holbert's formula for a Mid Tone Contrast Enhancement  action (I prefer this over Clarity in ACR /Lightroom). If a photo requires it, I'll focus stack using Helicon Focus.

harshdreams

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 09:13:54 am »

Thanks Ellis, I will need some time to digest that reply, phew! I shall get back to you if i have any queries! really appreciate the time senior pros like you take to educate people like me!! God bless!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 09:19:13 am »

Hi Bart, I just realised that SNS-HDR is not available for Mac  :-[

Hi Harshan,

That's correct, but from what I've read on its forum it apparently run's fine under Parallels.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up