Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop cooling on location ?  (Read 1818 times)

DeeJay

Laptop cooling on location ?
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:17:49 am »

I have an ongoing issue that when you are shooting in hot climates the fans run at full blast trying to cool the computer down draining the batteries quicker than you can order a cold drink.

I was wondering if anyone had a solution to cooling a laptop on location? A Bus powered fan is probably going to have the same effect and those convection cooling pads aren't so great either.

Any ideas?

THanks

AFairley

Re: Laptop cooling on location ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:51:11 pm »

I question whether having the fans run full time has that much of an effect in terms of a % decrease in run time.  Just saying, I don't know.  I would actually test to see what the difference is before spending a lot of energy looking for a solution which may not really be necessary.  Again, I don't actually know if it does make a difference or not, just not sure from your post whether your concern is based on supposition or experience....

DeeJay

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:40:12 am »

Based on experience.

Shooting in countries with high heat and humidity the fans run constantly at full speed. The batteries last .45 - 1.5 hours. You can get 2 shots in the bag at the most.

In cooler climates like we have in the UK I get 2.5-3 hours.

I've just tried booting the computer from an external drive and shooting tethered. The fans barely come on at all compared to booting from the internal where they run cycles at full speed.

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:19:41 pm »

Based on experience.

Shooting in countries with high heat and humidity the fans run constantly at full speed. The batteries last .45 - 1.5 hours. You can get 2 shots in the bag at the most.

In cooler climates like we have in the UK I get 2.5-3 hours.

I've just tried booting the computer from an external drive and shooting tethered. The fans barely come on at all compared to booting from the internal where they run cycles at full speed.

I stand corrected, thanks for the info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up