Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumormill: Hasselblad H4X Imminent  (Read 27548 times)

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
Re: Rumormill: Hasselblad H4X Imminent
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »

Can i ask a simple question? Why did Doug Peterson post this?

Why wouldn't you let a Hasselblad Rep. post this? Oh right because it now affects Phase users right? :rolleyes:

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2011, 10:57:00 pm »

Can i ask a simple question? Why did Doug Peterson post this?

Why wouldn't you let a Hasselblad Rep. post this? Oh right because it now affects Phase users right? :rolleyes:

Yes, it does indeed affect Phase users, greatly. And Leaf users, and Sinar users. Let's not forget, even Eyelike users (there was a Hasselblad H interface for Eyelike digital backs). So...I don't see the issue. It's an open forum (unlike camera systems), anyone could have posted it.

You're welcome!

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »

Personally, I think what Hasselblad did was good for the professional industry as it let rental houses and owners of used, worn H series upgrade their bodies while still keeping their equity in their H lenses (regardless of the digital back).

IMO

BC

I agree - the net result is that things are better for those who own or who are interested in the platform, should they be inclined to use a Phase, Leaf, etc. digital back. The hard part about our business is that there are many unknowns behind the decisions of companies who create photographic products, and that is no truer anywhere else than the medium format segment. And not much effort is spent publicly articulating what is behind the decision making. That is the case because frequently it is not in the interest of the manufacturer to share that information, regardless of how forthcoming they wish to be, some elements of the information may be strategically revealing, and even affect formal and informal mergers, partnerships, etc. Which means we're all left to speculate and in my experience, I would say the best attempts of all of us are less than 50% on the money.

So, I like to look at the bottom line and so what this means to any medium format digital user at this point is that in a year or two time, they'll likely have a substantially enhanced camera platform available from Phase One/Mamiya to choose from, while at the same time, H1/H2 owners (or buyers) just got a boost to the H platform, with the option of an H4X, a better camera than an H1/H2, and brand new to boot. Even if a Phase One or Leaf /H1/H2 user would consider a camera change at some point, with the H4X the need to do so will certainly feel less time sensitive.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2011, 11:36:13 pm »

No no, i meant for a non-Phase supplier to respond. You know, non-biased and all....  ::)

ghoonk

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2011, 01:06:43 am »

Sorry you have never used a H but shoot TF all the time??? What do you mean by TF? Most of us here are referring to True Focus which is currently only available in the H4. I find TF really useful.

TF = True Focus

I have said before, I use a H4D-31, having come from a 645 AFD II. And yes, I have used a DF as well, and have tried the H3D, though not the H1 or H2.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2011, 08:11:30 am »

Ah allright. Sorry about that. I guess I overlooked that part somewhere.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2011, 07:20:34 am »

I welcome the move of Hasselblad, though I also think the choice should be freely available, this combination with an upgrade is....suboptimal....well but that´s kind of symptomatic.

Further I still think as nice as it is, if there are backs of other brands supported, it still needs to have a Hasselblad H mount, which needs to be made specifically.

As it showed during the last time that more or less any of the back mounts have their specific glitches(specifically if you need to mount them to tech cameras!) and digital tolerances go narrower with every resolution improvement I think it would be the day now to speak about a unified digital back mount, something like the 4/5 , 5/7 , 8/10  international standard for film cassettes that was perfectly working for all makers.

I cannot remember anybody complaining in the past that the standardization was taking away business from a single brand.
The only thing that has happened with this nonsense of digital proprietary systems is a loss of user convenience - at raised prices.

With today´s knowledge of the last 15 years of development a much better and reliable mount could be standardized. The old film cassettes are history now. Its overdue !
A mount that is public domain in it´s dimensions, has perfect sealing for dust, water and stray light, clicks in securely with one hand and can only be removed with either 2 hands or a special
one hand usable locked button that cannot unlock incidentally. This could also be made for better flatness and to prevent shimming.
Also the electronic contacts need to be unified so that this back will work on all bodies and tech cameras without cabling.

This is what I am asking for and what I think is needed for a 21st century professional camera that fulfills the needs of working Pros !

Too much asked ? I don´t think so. the back makers need their homeworks done, otherwise the Japanese will show how this is done.

Please sit down and talk ! There are only 2 parties left Phase/Leaf/Mamiya and Hasselblad ,so this should be possible.
Forget about for a second securing your sales and think about your customers interests !!!!

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:00:26 am by Stefan.Steib »
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2011, 12:57:38 pm »

The problem with this forum is that in addition to doctors and dentists and engineers there are actually some working photographers. Very annoying, they may speak truth to vendors about the emperor's new camera.

Edmund

I think that this comment is highly prejudicial to many fine and wealthy doctors, dentists and engineers who like to buy expensive gadgets.  It also excludes the many other fine professions such as lawyers, bankers, hedge fund managers, speculators, gamblers and bank robbers who also like to buy expensive gadgets.  If the western economy had to rely on the photographic professional to keep the wheels of commerce liberally oiled we would all be truly screwed. LOL ;D
David Watson ARPS

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34:01 pm »

I think that this comment is highly prejudicial to many fine and wealthy doctors, dentists and engineers who like to buy expensive gadgets.  It also excludes the many other fine professions such as lawyers, bankers, hedge fund managers, speculators, gamblers and bank robbers who also like to buy expensive gadgets.  If the western economy had to rely on the photographic professional to keep the wheels of commerce liberally oiled we would all be truly screwed. LOL ;D
I would add I know or know of several doctors and lawyers (an example is Mahesh Thapa) who own very nice equipment that are much better photographers than many photographers I know, but they make too much money to give up their day job.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2011, 03:20:23 pm »

I would add I know or know of several doctors and lawyers (an example is Mahesh Thapa) who own very nice equipment that are much better photographers than many photographers I know, but they make too much money to give up their day job.

These days why am I not surprised?  ;D I wish I had a nice normal career to fall back on...

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2011, 07:52:13 pm »

I own an H4D-50 so I'm not a potential customer for the H4x. I agree it would be preferable simply to sell the camera to anyone who wants one and not require a trade in of a H1 or H2, but what the heck, its a step towards a more open platform, so I can't understand the hysterical reaction of a few to the trade in restriction.   Its just a camera.  Get over it already  ;D
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2011, 08:04:15 pm »

Nah, the point I was trying to make is that the l,b,h,s,g,br above don't fight as much for better stuff as those starving penniless Medium Format photographers.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »

I own an H4D-50 so I'm not a potential customer for the H4x. I agree it would be preferable simply to sell the camera to anyone who wants one and not require a trade in of a H1 or H2, but what the heck, its a step towards a more open platform, so I can't understand the hysterical reaction of a few to the trade in restriction.   Its just a camera.  Get over it already  ;D
doesn't appear to be more open at all to me ... just solving a current problem they have.  I don't care (in fact have a used H1 that I may even be able to sell now)

BobDavid

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2011, 12:06:09 am »

My H2F isn't very tired. In fact, it's damn peppy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up