Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind and the Cold North Atlantic  (Read 2239 times)

churly

Wind and the Cold North Atlantic
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:28:57 pm »

Gale force winds - had to hold down the tripod for this one.

Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

Re: Wind and the Cold North Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:23:36 pm »

Nice movement, good sky!
Scott

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:09 pm »

Don't much like the sky myself, but I am intrigued by the movement in the water.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »

Hey Mike, is it the white area in the sky you don't like? That's what bothers me a bit. But overall, I like it very much. The sea echoes the movement and pattern of the sky.  And the placement and power of the centre rocks brings a wonderful visual relief and resting point for the image. Many people like BW, but I bet this is very good in colour.

JMR

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:54:29 am »

There is a large blown out area, but mostly the clouds look 'overprocessed', stretched too far.  Not sure how else to put it.

Just one man's opinion!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:23:39 am »

I love the movement and motion in the water. That has been absolutely 'nailed' for me. It portrays a real sense of drama.

I agree with Mike on the sky; its ok; but not great and lets down the image overall. The blown out area bothers me and I would have liked to see a bit more drama in the sky by darkening it with a grad (or in post). That said.. I keep coming back to how well that water has been captured and treated. Kudos on this element particularly.

I do very much like the monochromatic nature of the shot as well and I definitely get the sense of wind and the cold north Atlantic.

I may also have fiddled with the crop a little; but thats nit picking.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

churly

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 06:19:26 pm »

Thanks everyone for the constructive comments.  I rarely fail to learn something from the comments on this forum.  I must agree that the sky doesn't hold up too well.  It is interesting because I didn't do much too the sky - it has the kind of over processed look in the raw file.  I am guessing that it is due to underexposure.  I tried to get a NG in place but couldn't keep the spray off long enough to get a shot and resorted to the lens hood for very temporary protection.  I need to give a bit more thought to working in foul weather, it seems like the payoff could be pretty good.
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:22:25 pm »

I also thought part of the sky was burned out, initially, but then decided that I had seen streaks like that, so bright that they were bereft of detail or structure. So, for me, it is realistic, and contrasts well with the dark clouds. Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up