Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preparing a Raw file in Lightroom for Photoshop  (Read 20305 times)

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Re: Preparing a Raw file in Lightroom for Photoshop
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2011, 03:29:14 pm »

Typewriters (mechanical) worked well in the past and that HASN'T changed because electrical ones and computers emerged. A 20-year old car (in working order) will get you from point A to point B today as it did 20 years ago, and that HASN'T changed because new models emerged. But a new car will do it with less gas, less pollution, in greater comfort, and will keep you safer in case of an accident. Which one you would prefer to use today?  That is not to say there aren't people still preferring mechanical typewriters or vintage cars. That is not to say there are no idiosyncratic pleasures in using a well-design tool or car from the past occasionally. But the real issue is that for most people and most of the time, new and improved things are preferable. 

Slobadan, I think your analogy is superb. I think the reason it doesn't work for most cases of the "LR is superior to PS debate" is that most of us just have basic driving skills, and we are not too invested in them.

I have had this debate with perhaps 40 friends/photographers. Just this week a photographer told me "I already have a workflow, why do I want to learn a new one?" Of course us LR converts would say "because the new one goes 10 times as fast, no pollution, has air conditioning, power windows (etc)."

Overall my conclusion from these personal debates boil down to a person's true ability to understand and use computers and software (particularly db's). For "real" software people, when something better comes along, they move. It's obvious.  I believe for the people stuck in LoPS (Land of PhotoShop), their mastery has come at such a hard price they cannot bear to consider another option. Almost as if they had built their car from raw steel themselves.

If everyone thought like LoPS people, Apple would have sold about 3 iPads. Everyone else would be saying "I already have a Mac, why do I need one that is like a big telephone?"
Bob
 ht

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2011, 06:55:23 pm »

... their mastery has come at such a hard price they cannot bear to consider another option. Almost as if they had built their car from raw steel themselves...

I am now firmly in LR for 90% of my needs. I did resist initially for the following reason: I knew if I switch, my Photoshop skills, already modest, are going to suffer even more. I knew if I stay in PS I would need to use it on a daily basis and would need to dig deeper and deeper. Practice makes perfect, as they say. I downloaded hours and hours of PS video tutorials, started watching them... and would not last more than halfway through.

There is always that nagging feeling that everything worth learning or doing requires considerable effort... no-pain-no-gain* type of thing. I also used to drive a stick shift, and thought those who drive automatic are "girly men" (as Governator would put it so eloquently ;))... until I had a chance to drive an automatic, after which there was no turning back. I also used to listen to the music via a class A amplifier (iPhone today). Sooner or later we all succumb to the siren song of ease, convenience and/or sheer laziness. Especially if the end result is better, the same or, as a minimum, indistinguishable from the old "macho" ways of doing things.

In other words, for me, it was a blessing in disguise, i.e., that I never learned PS to the level of mastery.

* Now, if only there would be a pill to get me six-pack abs without diet, discipline and exercise ;)

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2011, 07:07:05 pm »

* Now, if only there would be a pill to get me six-pack abs without diet, discipline and exercise ;)

Slo, you are my kind of guy!
Bob
 ht
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up