Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me clean up my .ICC profile list  (Read 5318 times)

texshooter

Help me clean up my .ICC profile list
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:59:30 am »

There are countless .icc and .icm printer profiles inside my Photoshop printer profile drop down list. They came preinstalled. I don't know what most of them are for and so am affraid of deleted them. I want to reorganize them so that my self-made icc profiles appear on the top of the list. Easier to navigate.
How do I group my own profiles into a list that will appear at the top of the drop down?

Also, I notice there are profiles inside the PS dropdown that do not appear in the Windows spool folder (Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color) or (windows/sysWOW64/spool/drivers/color). Where are these coming from? Examples include:

Fujifilm 3510 (RDI) theater preview (by Adobe)
dot gain 10%

Also, should I be installing my own profiles inside the Windows system32 or Windows  sysWOW64 directory?

Also, I created a subfolder inside the Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color directory and tried moving some  old .icc profiles inside this folder. My intent was to hide or group icc's I don't use together. But when i restarted Photoshop, the order of the .ICC profiles did not change.

I don't understand the logic of how all these files are organized on the computer.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Help me clean up my .ICC profile list
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:24:55 am »

There are countless .icc and .icm printer profiles inside my Photoshop printer profile drop down list. They came preinstalled. I don't know what most of them are for and so am affraid of deleted them. I want to reorganize them so that my self-made icc profiles appear on the top of the list. Easier to navigate.
How do I group my own profiles into a list that will appear at the top of the drop down?

Also, I notice there are profiles inside the PS dropdown that do not appear in the Windows spool folder (Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color) or (windows/sysWOW64/spool/drivers/color). Where are these coming from? Examples include:

Fujifilm 3510 (RDI) theater preview (by Adobe)
dot gain 10%

Also, should I be installing my own profiles inside the Windows system32 or Windows  sysWOW64 directory?

Also, I created a subfolder inside the Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color directory and tried moving some  old .icc profiles inside this folder. My intent was to hide or group icc's I don't use together. But when i restarted Photoshop, the order of the .ICC profiles did not change.

I don't understand the logic of how all these files are organized on the computer.
What version of Windows are you running?  Profiles should install automatically by right clicking them when you have either downloaded or created them.  To delete profiles go to the color management section of the control panel.  Click on the All Profiles tab and you will see the full listing of all profiles.  You can remove profiles by highlighting and clicking on the remove button.  You rally shouldn't move profiles around otherwise.  On my computer, all photo related profiles are in the Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color directory.

smilem

• Color Management Services
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 03:39:40 pm »

Profiles are in Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color

This the same for 64bit and 32bit systems.
If you move the profiles in subfolder that is in Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color
Then it's the same as doing nothing. You have to move the profiles you do not need outside Windows/system32/spool/drivers/color

So create some folder in My Documens folder, like "unused ICC profiles" then move the ICC files there.

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:08:00 pm »

Photoshop finds all the available profiles (probably including those in its own reference folder, but I can't check the Windows details right now) and groups them by type (e.g. RGB, CMYK, Greyscale). Within each of those it sorts them by name.

So to move your favourite profiles to the top of the list you'll have to rename them. Putting '_' at the beginning of the name is an ugly start: you'll get the idea. Note that changing the names of profiles can make things confusing if you have those profiles also embedded in images using the old names, and can break Photoshop Actions, Lightroom Presets, etc. Changing the names of profiles referred to by printer drivers is especially fraught with complications.

However, note that the name of the file that the profile is stored in is NOT the name of the profile. That's in the "desc" tag within the ICC profile (sometimes in multiple languages). OS X's included ColorSync Utility lets you change this. Microsoft's Colour Control Panel Applet (for XP) also did this. I'm not sure what the included options are for whatever Windows version you're running: you may need to download other software to edit the profile tags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up