Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quebec  (Read 3311 times)

Robert Roaldi

Quebec
« on: July 01, 2003, 07:28:09 pm »

The "old" city, part of the original fortress is conveniently compact. Park your car and walk it. Historically interesting buildings everywhere you look, basically. Go down to the port at water level too. I lived there one summer and in August the downtown area will be packed with tourists by 10:00 am but if you can walk or bike there at 7:00 am you will be rewarded with lots to photograph without obstructions. The streets in the old town are narrow and twisty; think Europe. Wide-angle lenses will be most useful.

If you have time to drive around, the area about an hour east of Quebec is mountainous and very scenic. I believe the areas to the north are similar to that but I've never been. About 1.5 hours east of Quebec is the Charlevoix area, whose centre is Baie-St.Paul. That area has been landscape painters' mecca for centuries.

Ken Dunham

Quebec
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2003, 10:17:21 pm »

In addition to the old walled city (Vieux Quebec). make sure you visit the Citadel (military fortress) just to the west of the old city. This is still a military base, and Quebec home to Canada's governor-general. Lots of history too. The nearby Plains of Abraham is where France lost the battle for what is now Canada.

The docks below the city, and the shores on the opposite side of the river, may offer some interesting photos. Coast guard and naval vessels can usually be found at the dcks.

As has already been noted, most things east, especially the Charelevoix region (a UN biosphere) are "naturally" beautiful.

Wayne Jacobsen

Quebec
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2003, 06:41:52 pm »

I'm going to Quebec (city) for a few days in August.  Do you know of any "must see" spots in the city or the surrounding area?

Thanks

Wayne Jacobsen

Quebec
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 11:00:43 am »

thanks for the tips --Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up