Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Tyvek Roll on Canon ipf8300??  (Read 3704 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

HP Tyvek Roll on Canon ipf8300??
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:05:22 pm »

I've been looking but couldn't find the answer to this question.  Can I use HP Tyvek Banner Paper with my Canon ipf8300?  I have a friend of mine that has access to a bunch of different HP rolls for a very good price but didn't know if it would work on my canon. 

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: HP Tyvek Roll on Canon ipf8300??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:19:13 pm »

Assuming the tyvek is compatible with pigment inks, it should work fine. May take some futzing to get the media type sorted and a profile created though.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Darrel

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:38:33 pm »

There is a Tyvek media type in your Canon 8300 sample book.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:39:15 pm »

True Darren but I'm curious as to the compatability due to it being HP brand

neile

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:40 pm »

As long as it's for pigment ink you'll be fine. Just because it says HP on it doesn't mean you can't use it in other printers.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »

Thanks for the help guys!  One more question.  My friend says on their HP LFP within a week of outdoors the ink fades real fast on the tyvek print.  If I use my Canon with the archival ink will this mean it won't fade?

neile

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:59:55 pm »

It's going to fade. I have no idea how quickly, but if you put things outside (even "archival pigment"), the sun is going to do its thing and fade it. The longevity experts here will likely chime in with a more precise answer than me :)

Neil
Neil Enns

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 03:40:29 am »

Thanks for the help guys!  One more question.  My friend says on their HP LFP within a week of outdoors the ink fades real fast on the tyvek print.  If I use my Canon with the archival ink will this mean it won't fade?

HP LFP is not very specific. Lots of HP LFPs with dye color inks and only the matte black ink a pigment in best case But HP Z models HP Vivera pigment inks are comparable, possibly a bit better than Canon Lucia pigment inks on fade resistance. Testing however not done outdoors.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

330+ paper white spectral plots including the Canon US catalog:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Randy Carone

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:46:12 am »

Generally, Tyvek banner printed with pigment ink should hold up well for 3 months+ without a clear coat and up to a year with a good UV protective clear coat. The weak link is the coating on the Tyvek. If not protected by clear coat the inkjet coating will begin to flake off long before the ink or base substrate will deteriorate.
Randy Carone

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:52:17 am »

I've done a bit of printing on Canon's Tyvek which is likely made by the same supplier as HP's Tyvek. I have several prints (coated and uncoated) on the roof of a local museum for testing. These prints are in the brutal Texas sun all day long and are also exposed to rain hail, etc. The uncoated prints faded a little bit within the first 3 months and showed hail marks. The coated prints still looked like new after a year. So coating makes a huge difference!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:58:28 pm »

Can I coat with timeless gloss from BC?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »

Can I coat with timeless gloss from BC?

Although I don't have experience with that exact paper/coating combination, I don't see why not.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

MHMG

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 07:14:31 pm »

Assuming 100,000 lux for 12 hours per day (an extreme sunlight condition) such as in a bright sunny 'near the equator" outdoor environment for one week, and this light level accumulates to 8.4 Megalux hours of total exposure. This dose may be enough to burn out some optical brighteners if they are incorporated in the media, but not nearly enough to otherwise cause noticeable fade in the major OEM aqueous ink sets (e.g., Epson K3VM, HP Vivera pigment, Canon Lucia EX). Give it 10-12 weeks and then you might start to see some subtle shifts in color and tone, but indoor light levels will take many years to accumulate similar levels of exposure.  If your friend really saw easily noticeable fade in a week on this substrate, chances are the inkjet printer in question used dyes rather than high quality pigments or there is an extreme level of incompatibility with this media with the chosen ink set. I've never documented in any of my light fade studies yet this level of ink/media incompatibility, but one should never say never.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up