Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Global fallout of Thai floods and impact on photo related companies  (Read 2693 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Global-fallout-of-Thai-floods-30167951.html

Photographers: note the damage to the Canon, Nikon and Sony factories.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Re: Global fallout of Thai floods and impact on photo related companies
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:32:26 pm »

What with the tsunami damage still not rectified and the Thai flooding, it doesn't much matter what the Japanese camera companies announce in the way of new pro product as we won't be seeing them for quite some time. I, for one, wish them well in their efforts.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:49:52 pm »

What with the tsunami damage still not rectified and the Thai flooding, it doesn't much matter what the Japanese camera companies announce in the way of new pro product as we won't be seeing them for quite some time. I, for one, wish them well in their efforts.

Agreed.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »

It would seem that the Canon factory impacted does not produce photography related equipment.

Regards,
Bernard

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:19:26 am »

Most of the camera equipment manufactured in Thailand is of the consumer grade.. no real danger of pro-grade equipment being impacted.  We might have some shortages of computer parts such hard drives from Western Digital and some others.  And you'd be surprised how fast things go back to 'normal' in a third world country compared to western companies with a lot more red tape.. 6 months after the tsunami in Thailand most of the major hotels and a bunch of the smaller privately owned hotels were back in business.. a year after you could hardly tell it happened.  Thailand is a monsoon country, they're used to floods and cleaning up after them. Every year a good part of the country is flooded.  This year is especially bad though.. and with Bangkok threatened it's getting a lot more news coverage.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:34:07 am »

Thailand is a monsoon country, they're used to floods and cleaning up after them. Every year a good part of the country is flooded.  This year is especially bad though.. and with Bangkok threatened it's getting a lot more news coverage.

As far as I know, these factories had never been reached by floods before.

I really hope that my assessment below is too pessimistic... but...

The industrial production equipments used to produce camera don't like water. We can only hope that Sony and Nikon could find ways to protect the critical machines from an extended immersion one way or another and/or to move them to higher ground quickly enough.

If they could not do that... then machines can basically mostly be thrown away which must represent a net loss of tens of M$.

Besides, such machines are manufactured in small numbers by a limited number of companies and you just don't order one like that. It might take weeks or months to get them manufactured, shipped and installed back. Once that is done you have to re-tune the whole production to achieve expected quality levels, which itself can take weeks or months also.

On top of that, you are not going to make the same mistake twice, meaning that Nikon will have to find another site to produce, or to re-build the building a few meters higher than it currently is... meaning that they either have to:
- find a new site, buy it, build a factory, find people...
- Or... destroy the existing building and build a new one...

Make no mistake, the impact for Nikon and Sony is probably simply huge and consumers looking at buying mid range Nikon or Sony camera should either rush on existing stock or get ready to wait for months.

Cheers,
Bernard

adanac

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:47:01 am »

The news sounds grim for some of these companies, and is grim for the residents of the affected areas to be sure.

Yet there has been no confirmation from Sony so far, so I'm going to assume delays are likely but not large magnitude delays, unless more is learned. Often during a large disaster the first thing to disappear is accurate information.

This one article from which that table was gathered does not actually cite any specifics of the Sony situation.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/business/T111017004860.htm

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:16:33 am »

As far as I know, these factories had never been reached by floods before.

I really hope that my assessment below is too pessimistic... but...

The industrial production equipments used to produce camera don't like water. We can only hope that Sony and Nikon could find ways to protect the critical machines from an extended immersion one way or another and/or to move them to higher ground quickly enough.

On top of that, you are not going to make the same mistake twice, meaning that Nikon will have to find another site to produce, or to re-build the building a few meters higher than it currently is... meaning that they either have to:
- find a new site, buy it, build a factory, find people...
- Or... destroy the existing building and build a new one...

Make no mistake, the impact for Nikon and Sony is probably simply huge and consumers looking at buying mid range Nikon or Sony camera should either rush on existing stock or get ready to wait for months.

Cheers,
Bernard

1.  Nikon has had floods right up to their front door in previous years.  I've seen entire industrial parks underwater one month, and seemingly normal a few months later.  I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but I do know their employees were back at work.

2.  This is true.  Yet, you've got to believe Japanese engineers can read topographic maps and historic flood reports, and plan their factories accordingly.  I would be very surprised if the more important factories weren't graded several meters above surrounding areas and plans weren't put in place to protect expensive machinery.  It doesn't take much.. for instance most of Bangkok is at 2-3 meters above sea level.  The poorer and older areas weren't built up before development and don't have the drainage infrastructure in place.  With flash floods currently cresting at 4 meters above sea level, you can guess vast areas of the capitol are experiencing at least light flooding.  Yet, pull up you topo, and check out MBK, Siam Paragon, Chulalongkorn University, and the major hotels.. and you'll find they're at 10-12 meters above sea level.  They were built up prior to development with flooding in mind.

Industrial parks come in different 'qualities' for lack of a better word.  It depends on the developer who builds the park, and the customers they hope to draw.  Water, power, access to transportation hubs, housing for employees, and elevation.  Almost all are 1-2 meters above flood, some much more.  Individual sites have been built up even higher by their occupants prior to development.

3.  My guess is that many of the smaller factories will take heavy hits and consider moving.. Thailand has already lost many significant companies to Vietnam and Malaysia for reasons I could write a book about.  If these factories get flooded and they're serious about leaving.. Thailand will make them offers they can't refuse to keep them.  It's a very popular practice in Thailand to pay afterwards if stuff happens, than pay before through prevention.  If things get so out of control that a big name factory which was further built up in anticipation of floods.. it's going to hit Thailand very hard.  Like you say, they'll have lost their major investment and they won't want the same risk again, so they'll rebuild elsewhere.  I think if such companies get hit.. they will be few.

4.  I don't think "consumers" need to worry about where their next PNS going to come from.  First, it's not critical they have one like it is for professionals,  and second.. there are plenty of alternatives being made outside of Thailand.  Hobbyists looking for consumer grade DSLR gear.. it's not really critical for them either, no need to run out and buy anything at this point.  Their need is less, their reaction will be slower, so there's time to wait and see what the damage will be.   And there's always ebay.. The used market peaking for 3-6 months will go mostly unnoticed.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:41 am »

Can anyone guess the most sought after commodity in Bangkok at the moment?

Parking places in elevated carparks.  Dealerships, exotic car owners, and everyday people want to keep their major investments safe.. I've been hearing some pretty amazing stories from friends about fights breaking out over parking spaces in elevated car parks.  It started as light bickering, but now it's broken out into a war and major profiteering.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:28:51 pm »

Nikon at least has been confirmed under water.. a friend forwarded some pics and it shows the water up about halfway through their first floor.  No one seems to know what was moved upstairs in anticipation of the floods or what it will take to get operations back up and running.  Nikon has been shut down since the first week of the month in anticipation and preparation.. so maybe they were able to position themselves well.

They're in the Rojana Industrial Estates in Ayutthaya which if I remember right is where Sony and Canon are as well..  Honda is there too, 4500 new cars floating, and they've already said they won't be rebuilding in Thailand.  I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that a lot.

adanac

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »

Flooding at the Sony plant has definitely become worse than was known several days ago:

Bangkok Post : Damage to Bangkadi park put at B30bn

Pages: [1]   Go Up