Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for those that print on Canvas  (Read 2163 times)

Garrick L

Question for those that print on Canvas
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »

I have been getting LF Exhibition Canvas prints from a local print lab and since I still matte them and frame them behind glass I have not been treating them with any top coat at all. Does anyone see why there would be an issue doing this?  
I shoot a lot of waterfalls and I just love the texture I get with moving water on the canvas vs photo paper. I would sure welcome your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Garrick L. Photography
http://500px.com/Garrick_Liddell
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:03:21 pm by Garrick L »

KenBabcock

Re: Question for those that print on Canvas
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:34:22 pm »

As long as the canvas is behind glass there won't be an issue for accidental stains.  However, keep in mind without a topcoat the longevity of the print will not be as long.  But if you're not going for 75 or 100 years, then that would also not be an issue. 

I have several uncoated canvases behind glass from a decade ago and they still look as though I printed them today.

Ken

Garrick L

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:04:55 pm »

As long as the canvas is behind glass there won't be an issue for accidental stains.  However, keep in mind without a topcoat the longevity of the print will not be as long.  But if you're not going for 75 or 100 years, then that would also not be an issue.  

I have several uncoated canvases behind glass from a decade ago and they still look as though I printed them today.

Ken

Thanks Ken  :)

Garrick L. Photography

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:23:03 pm »

If you're putting it behind anti-UV glass then the longevity should be as good or better than if the canvas were coated.  If it's just behind standard glass then longevity could be shortened depending on light conditions.

KenBabcock

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »

You're very welcome, Garrick.

Anymore questions just ask.  Some of us here have been doing this a very long time and are quite knowledgeable and willing to share many secrets :)

davidh202

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:09:12 pm »

I agree with the others but ...

have you tried printing them on Epson Cold Press papers, has great texture, it is awsome.! ?

David

Garrick L

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »

I agree with the others but ...

have you tried printing them on Epson Cold Press papers, has great texture, it is awsome.! ?

David

No, I have not. but since you reccomend them I will have to try them. Is there any specific Epson Cold Press paper you reccomend assuming on my part there not all the same that is.

Thanks,

Garrick L Photography

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

Hi Garrick,
You didn't clarify which surface finish your getting on the Ex Canvas.?
 The Epson Cold Press is available in a Natural (warmer)paper or Bright White. Both are a heavy 21 mil textured 100%rag.
The texture is that of heavy artist watercolor paper but are a matte finish .Might want to get a sample from epson

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/FocalPoints/Story/SignatureWorthy.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

I just re read your post and realized you not doing your own printing? ?so you'd have to find a custom lab that uses these or would order for you, to print on these for you.On your 500 page you say you have a 7900.

Great images on your 500 page!  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:13:46 pm by davidh202 »

Garrick L

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:41:54 am »

Hi Garrick,
You didn't clarify which surface finish your getting on the Ex Canvas.?
 The Epson Cold Press is available in a Natural (warmer)paper or Bright White. Both are a heavy 21 mil textured 100%rag.
The texture is that of heavy artist watercolor paper but are a matte finish .Might want to get a sample from epson

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/FocalPoints/Story/SignatureWorthy.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

I just re read your post and realized you not doing your own printing? ?so you'd have to find a custom lab that uses these or would order for you, to print on these for you.On your 500 page you say you have a 7900.

Great images on your 500 page!  

Hi davidh202,
Thank you so much for the info on the Epson Cold Press paper, it sounds like it's really nice media and I look forward to getting a sample. I have had prints done on both Epson Exhibition Matte and Satin and like them both depending what I'm looking for based on the particular image. You're right, my initial post was posted based on what I have had printed at a local print lab on an Epson 7900 and some printed on HP's artist canvas on a Z3200 but tomorrow I'm excited to take delivery on my very own new 7900 printer so I can control my images myself, hence, I just updated my profile on 500px to state about my new 7900 printer which like I said I am very excited about :)

I'm very thankful to learn from all you seasond printers on here :)

Thanks for the compliment on my images at 500px, I appreciate that and thank you all who have replied to my OP, I'm soaking it all in....

Cheers,

-Garrick

Garrick L. Photography

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:44:25 am by Garrick L »

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 11:29:42 am »

Garrick,
I'm far from a "seasoned" printer, but have been absolutely thrilled with my 7900 purchased over a year ago.
As a  registered pro user I had just received a  e mail for a free "Signature Worthy Fine Art" paper sample pak from Epson which contains all the Hot and Cold Press papers. When you get the printer and register it you might enquire as to whether they will send you a free pak!

Found the link...http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/SignatureWorthy.do

Enjoy the 7900!
david
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:36:17 am by davidh202 »

Garrick L

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 11:23:44 pm »

Garrick,
I'm far from a "seasoned" printer, but have been absolutely thrilled with my 7900 purchased over a year ago.
As a  registered pro user I had just received a  e mail for a free "Signature Worthy Fine Art" paper sample pak from Epson which contains all the Hot and Cold Press papers. When you get the printer and register it you might enquire as to whether they will send you a free pak!

Found the link...http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/SignatureWorthy.do

Enjoy the 7900!
david

Thanks David, again much appreciated. I got my new 7900 today and got it all set up and made a couple of 20" X 30" prints and they look awesome :) I have done a search on here about whether to leave the 7900 powered on or not. It seems like it goes into a sleep mode with only the tiny green light on above the poeer on/off button, but I'm wondering after you have had the 7900 for a while what you and others have come to the conclusion of regarding leaving it powered on or power it off when not in use?

The printer sure seems to be quality built. The packaging was excellent and the build quality seems really nice as well. So far, so good !!!

Cheers,

Garrick

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:25:23 pm by Garrick L »

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:33:39 am »

Hey Garrick,
Glad to hear your up and running.
This will undoubtedly start the never ending 'personal preferances' arguments and recommendations squabble again...

I now have my printer set to auto nozzle check periodically, and clean if necessary, (apparantly default setting in the regular maintenance menu). I turn the printer off after finishing my print run. Unlike some other brand models the Epson does not wake up perodically and do a nozzle cleaning on its own. I  believe that the engineers have printer designed to run as smoothly as possible with no intervention on my part. I have not done a manual nozzle check in over two months. I believe it is only necessary if you notice errors or color problems.
   Sometimes I can start a job and the printer will check the nozzles and run a cleaning cycle and most of the time it just goes ahead and prints. In over a year I have never had the necessity to go into the full maintenance mode !

I know many people like to think they don't have to read instructions but...
I would strongly recommend fully reading the main User Guide and not just the quick guide as there are many useful hints and cautionary statements (in the left hand sides of the pages).
Make sure you do the recommended head alignment proceedure.

As I have reported before, I just keep my fingers crossed, praise it, and pat it when I start up... so far so good ;)

Happy printing,

David
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:37:50 am by davidh202 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up