Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backpack for medium format gear  (Read 14248 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Backpack for medium format gear
« on: October 16, 2011, 02:12:09 pm »

What are some of the recommendations for good long distance travel backpacks for medium format gear ? I'm planning on doing some portaging as well as hiking in the mountains with a 645D and most of the backpacks I tried at the various photo dealers around town don't seem to accommodate the camera in a comfortable way. This is one I was hearing ok things about on another forum (http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/photo-packs/reload) but I'm not really sure since most of the people seem to be using it with 35mm form factor equipment. I have an old lowepro nature trekker av that works quite well for my large format kit, an ebony field camera with 3 lenses, 10 4x5 film holders, a sekonic light meter, loupe and a few filters because of the ability to move the dividers in any configuration. Sadly that model got replaced with some inferior products I no longer want. Any advice would be great.

Graham Mitchell

Re: Backpack for medium format gear
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:22:39 pm »

I have a KATA HB-207 which is very well made. Worth a look.

JV

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:54:02 pm »

I use a Lowepro as well, the Flipside 300, small, compact and lightweight. I take the body, 2 lenses, and then all the batteries, etc with me.  Depending on the size of the lenses it could fit 3 lenses or not.  Obviously it falls short if you want to take a laptop as well.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:32:25 pm »

I have a KATA HB-207 which is very well made. Worth a look.

This one is also not available anymore, at least not at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368034-REG/Kata_KT_HB_207_HB_207_GDC_Hiker_Backpack.html

Do you have another recommendation ?

theguywitha645d

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »

I have a 645D and three lenses. I use a very old LowePro Mini Trekker and a Think Tank belt with three lens changer pouches and a smaller pouch for batteries, right-angle finder, and remote. I find it works very well. I find it is a very comfortable setup in the field. I have no partitions in the back pack because the Think Tank pouches function as that.

Clyde RF

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:21:14 am »

Check out www.photobacker.com and an article in L L under product reviews--"A Decent Backpack for View Camera and Medium Format Photographers." This Co. offers technical backpacks which have special mounting systems, (like hiking backpacks), which shift weight from shoulders to lumbar region and legs, to make any weight much easier to handle. These products also are of high quality, are relatively light weight, and are conveniently organized and sufficiently well padded. I have no connection with the company, but will probably order one when I decide what the exact nature of my next photo system is going to be.       

Clyde RF

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:36:13 am »

Sorry... The above web address I referred to should be www.photobackpacker.com...a bit of a tongue twister there.

DennisWilliams

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:42:18 pm »

I have a small Tamrac backpack which holds two P 67 bodies, three lenses and all the assorted odds and ends.  I have not needed to hike more than three miles each way but it was very comfortable.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »

I'm planning on doing some portaging as well as hiking in the mountains with a 645D and most of the backpacks I tried at the various photo dealers around town don't seem to accommodate the camera in a comfortable way.

For any long hike or one where I'm on water, I use a "real" backpacking internal frame pack and have my gear wrapped. When on water, the gear is wrapped and stowed in a dry bag to boot. 

The only photo-specific packs I like for long treks are those made by F-Stop, essentially a "real" backpack with a variety of internal modular gear cases available: http://fstopgear.com/

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

theguywitha645d

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:41:53 pm »

Sorry, Jack read this more carefully than I did--he gave a really good answer too. In the mountains, it is an internal frame pack designed by people who design for the sport, not camera backpacks. I usually put my gear in a Mountainsmith lumbar pack--Tour or Daypack models. I can sling the lumbar pack inside the frame pack or have it on the outside around my shoulder and supported by the frame pack belt--I have an older MS lumbar back without the padded waist belt and a large loop where the frame pack belt can slide through.

This thread is making me feel old. I use my packs until the wheels fall off and it takes a long time for that to happen.

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

Check out the König Photobag, made in Germany. 100% waterproof. http://www.koenig-photobags.de/startseite.phtml
Some information also on my web page.

Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 05:47:19 pm »

Unfortunately almost all bags are designed around dSLR's and are a compromise for medium format gear.  As mentioned, most are not designed for long distance hiking.

I have a couple of clik bags.  While not perfect for MF I've rearranged the dividers to work pretty well.  they are designed with backpacking in mind including things like a camel back pouch for water.  the harness system is comfortable.  so far they're the best I've used when it comes to hiking.

Graham Welland

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

I've found the F-Stop range to be the best option so far for hiking and have had no problems with it for trips up to 10 miles. They have proper backpack construction and very are comfortable (for me at least). I also appreciate that it opens from the rear which is ideal for photo use out in the field. I use mine extensively now and have pretty much abandoned all the other 'photo' backpacks due to the difference in comfort and versatility. One of the best aspects of the system is that it has the ICU packs internally that can hold medium format gear easily (I pack my DF or Alpa kit using them).

As Jack mentioned, a proper hiking backpack is probably the best option for multi-day hikes but you might want to look at the F-Stop ICU packs for organizing and holding your gear in such a framed pack.
Graham

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:04 am »

I am happily using my Tamrac Expedition 8 for several years now, it holds an HCam-b1, a Canon 5DMK2, six lenses, a flash and my Macbook Pro 17" plus all the cabling chargers and batteries.
This is heavy, but to be handled.
Only glitch : very much in the beginning the lower connectors from the should belts to the backpack gave up (they simply fell apart because of the weight)- so I bought 2 Mountaineering carabiners to replace them. Since then : Perfect !

Greetings from right now Karlsruhe

Stefan

Visit me on the PPL-Openhouse here in Karlsruhe 21/22. 10.   http://www.ppl.de/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:45:30 pm by Stefan.Steib »
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »

I've found the F-Stop range to be the best option so far for hiking and have had no problems with it for trips up to 10 miles. They have proper backpack construction and very are comfortable (for me at least). I also appreciate that it opens from the rear which is ideal for photo use out in the field. I use mine extensively now and have pretty much abandoned all the other 'photo' backpacks due to the difference in comfort and versatility. One of the best aspects of the system is that it has the ICU packs internally that can hold medium format gear easily (I pack my DF or Alpa kit using them).

As Jack mentioned, a proper hiking backpack is probably the best option for multi-day hikes but you might want to look at the F-Stop ICU packs for organizing and holding your gear in such a framed pack.

F-Stop is by far the best I've owned/seen.  I have a Tilopa Standard with a Large ICU that I've used for both DSLRs and 4x5 gear. 

My favorite features -

- Rear access, I'm used to this from using packs like the Burton Zoom and Dakine Sequence and will never use another design.  You never need to worry about where you set your pack down.
- Hiking backpack ergonomics and design, it looks like a regular hiking pack and wears like one
- Tons of pockets/storage.  You can carry a lot of non-camera gear.  Even better you can use different ICUs to change your storage mix.
- Great tripod carry

Current model Tilopa (Tilopa is the medium size of their backpacks) - http://fstopgear.com/en/product/mountain/tilopa-bc

avelpavel

• http://www.pastrovicchio.com
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »

You can try with this: http://koenig-photobags.de/photorucksack-standard.phtml

It seems really good, waterproof and well built, thinking about how photographers work.

My wife said it will be my Christmas gift!  ;D

Rob

www.pastrovicchio.com

vjbelle

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 04:01:52 pm »

I have tried to purchase an F-stop but have not been able to find one - anywhere. Almost everything is out of stock at their online store (and has been for months) and the only retailer they list doesn't stock any bags or even list F-Stop as a brand they carry.  So I have numerous bags but nothing has worked as well my Lowepro Mini-Treker.  The only problem is that its too small.  I then purchased a Kiboko 30L which houses everything, is extremely well made and fairly easy on my back.  Bear in mind that I'm 130 lbs and 5'7" and am carrying 20 pounds with that bag.  I wouldn't want to hike 10 miles like that but for shorter distances its doable.  What's best is that everything is within reach.

Victor

Graham Welland

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 05:18:55 pm »

Have you tried fstop today? I got notification that they just had all in stock this week.
Graham

stevenf

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 07:00:21 pm »

I just received my Fstop Satori EXP with the XL ICU. It fits my Hasselblad H4D50 and 4 lenses (28, 50 100, and 210) and my Horseman 617 with the 180mm lens. Takes a bit of organization to get it all in but it seems to fit.

Steven
http://www.friedmanphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up