Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ArcBody and Phase One backs  (Read 7901 times)

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
ArcBody and Phase One backs
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:58:50 pm »

If you're considering buying a used ArcBody kit, or selling one because you've read or heard that the ArcBody will not work with the Phase One IQ backs... it's true, but it can be adapted relatively easily. The problem is the ridge that goes around the mask plate on the ArcBody is not strictly "V system standard". It's about 3mm too wide on one side and about 2mm too wide on the other.

Apparently, the inner frame pops right out on early ArcBodys. My guess is that the original intention was that the mask could be interchanged according to the format of the film magazine. Probably they found it to be more cost effective to cast the plate in one piece, which is what I have. If you have one of those early bodies, just pull out that inner mask and the Phase One back should attach with no problem. Otherwise, you have to mill down those two strips that are too wide. Rather than take a whack at it with a Dremel tool, I found a machinist who did a beautiful job (traditionalmachine.com) and my back fits perfectly in vertical and horizontal positions.

I'm so glad I kept that little gem of a camera. Those Rodenstock lenses are incredible, and of course they accommodate rises and tilts too.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:58:59 am by Ken »

theguywitha645d

Re: ArcBody and Phase One backs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:21:42 am »

I am glad that worked out for you. The Arc Body was a really nice camera and I think it is nicer than some of the newer technical camera today.

EinstStein

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »

It sounds exciting,however I'll hold my breadth till you show us some pictures.
My understanding is, the ore serious problem with the Arc Body system is in the lenses.
There are not suitable for digital sensors. I'd like to see you prove it's wrong.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:34:45 pm »

EinstStein, which lenses do you have with your Arc Body and what digital back do you use?

EinstStein

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »

I don't have arcbody. I was looking into it but was turned away by Hasselblad's comment. I ended up getting the Flexbody. 

theguywitha645d

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 01:47:01 pm »

Would I be correct in assuming Hasselblad backs use micro lenses? That would be reason enough not to recommend the Arc Body, but a back like the Phase P25+ might work better.

EinstStein

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:42 pm »

not only arc body, many excellent 6x7 or 6x8 system lenses suffering similar problems.
Fuji gx680 falls into this category, some Mamiya  6x7 too.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »

I use a P25+ on a technical camera. I find simply shooting LCC frames takes care of a lot of problems. I am sure that would help with an Arc Body as well.

EinstStein

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:17 pm »

The problem of the Arcbody lenses with digital back has nothing to do with the technical camera, although you can argue that the nature of the technical camera leads the lens design to choose what it is. I don't think what you see in your technical camera can draw much conclusion on the Arcbody.

But I wish you are right. Let's wait for the initial poster to show us some pictures.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
ArcBody with digital back
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 10:21:03 pm »

I had been using the Imacon/Hasselblad back on the ArcBody for about six years with excellent results, and no problems whatsoever. The back was only 16MP and covered about 70% of the 6x6 film area (amazing for that time), and the 16-bit files were incredible. I still print 42" x 12.5" stitched panoramas from that back and they continue to impress pixel-peeping gallery patrons.

I switched to Phase One primarily because the high-quality image on the IQ back eliminates all of the hassle of juggling the "ground glass", its assorted viewing filters, optical finder, and swapping that with the back. Of course the old technology of a separate hard drive and battery and connecting IEEE cable had been replaced by Hasselblad years ago, but it's new to me and another quantum leap. Something else that moved me toward Phase One relates to what I experienced today... "weather". Big wind gusts blew debris around without warning, then rain, then sun, more wind, etc. That would've sent me back to my car with the Imacon's exposed fan vents. This time I shielded the camera with my jacket, and felt comfortable that the back would be fine. And of course the remaining reason for my switch is my Hasselblad gear which I've been using for decades... and Phase One seems more interested in providing for Hasselblad V system users than does Hasselblad.

The attached file was shot this afternoon in the rain and wind with the ArcBody, 45mm Rodenstock, f8~11 @ 1 sec., ISO 50 and IQ160 back. The camera was facing downward and the front standard was raised ("shifted").

theguywitha645d

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 11:49:18 pm »

The problem of the Arcbody lenses with digital back has nothing to do with the technical camera...

I can't see why not. The Arc body is a technical camera. It uses Rodenstock lenses, my camera uses Rodenstock lenses.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 11:51:29 pm »

Ken, that looks like a great image. I am really happy for you. And a little jealous; I also had a desire to own an Arc Body, but I just could never justify it. I thought it was a really sexy design.

Luis Esteves

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:07 am »

I´m new here. I own a Arcbody and I´m looking for a cheap digital back for use in architectural photo. Any suggestions? Thanks, Luis

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 11:13:34 am »

I´m new here. I own a Arcbody and I´m looking for a cheap digital back for use in architectural photo. Any suggestions? Thanks, Luis

A Phase One P25+ would be ideal (I know someone who has been using this combination for years - though he could have upgraded anytime - and is still completely satisfied with it) Or perhaps a Leaf Aptus 22.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up