Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, getting an early jump on things: Christmas in Santa Fe. Suggestions?  (Read 4299 times)

Mjollnir

Been there only once, while driving from LA to Dallas for xmas two years ago, and we had about three hours to see the town before we were underway again, so I saw only the central plaza area, Native American art vendors there, stuff like that.

This Xmas, given 3 or 4 whole days, what have people seen there that's worth seeing/shooting, both in town and outside of it?

Other than what I've mentioned, I don't know the town, whatsoever.

Thanks!

T3

degrub

Re: OK, getting an early jump on things: Christmas in Santa Fe. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:44:17 pm »

Don't worry, for Santa Fe you are not getting an early jump  :D
Book now if  you want to stay close to the plaza. Otherwise motel row on Cerrillos.

What is your budget ? The closer to the plaza the more expensive. B&Bs are nice, but pricy.

Traffic can be bad, but not as bad as Taos usually. Parking near the plaza is the main issue.

There may be enough snow for a trip up to the public ski area outside of town. They have some black runs if they have had enough early snow. Otherwise mostly greens. Taos is only a few hours drive north otherwise.

In town, lots of architecture, Georgia O'Keefe museum, history and culture museum, several famous churches, lots of tourist shopping, etc. the  SW art colony scene.
Outside of town, there is the Gorge of the Rio Grande and bridge, Pueblos ( fee for photos) , the national forest (Santa Fe National forest)  is due east. There is a very scenic drive called the Old High Road into Santa Fee that is worth exploring for the churches and scenery. Bandelier National Monument is nearby (next to Los Alamos) and worth exploring.

The weather can turn rapidly that time of year. i have been snowed in twice the last two trips between Christmas and New Years. It was a couple days before we could move. Front wheel drive is generally good enough, unless you want to be the first out. If you go up in the national forest, i would carry chains and/or 4wd.

Mjollnir

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:42:05 pm »

Don't worry, for Santa Fe you are not getting an early jump  :D
Book now if  you want to stay close to the plaza. Otherwise motel row on Cerrillos.

What is your budget ? The closer to the plaza the more expensive. B&Bs are nice, but pricy.

Traffic can be bad, but not as bad as Taos usually. Parking near the plaza is the main issue.

There may be enough snow for a trip up to the public ski area outside of town. They have some black runs if they have had enough early snow. Otherwise mostly greens. Taos is only a few hours drive north otherwise.

In town, lots of architecture, Georgia O'Keefe museum, history and culture museum, several famous churches, lots of tourist shopping, etc. the  SW art colony scene.
Outside of town, there is the Gorge of the Rio Grande and bridge, Pueblos ( fee for photos) , the national forest (Santa Fe National forest)  is due east. There is a very scenic drive called the Old High Road into Santa Fee that is worth exploring for the churches and scenery. Bandelier National Monument is nearby (next to Los Alamos) and worth exploring.

The weather can turn rapidly that time of year. i have been snowed in twice the last two trips between Christmas and New Years. It was a couple days before we could move. Front wheel drive is generally good enough, unless you want to be the first out. If you go up in the national forest, i would carry chains and/or 4wd.

Thanks!  Budget is not an issue, but having grown up in the Big Sur/Monterey Peninsula and worked in most of the high-end hotels there in my teens, hotels to me are just where you pay to have four walls, a bed and door that locks.  Frills, beautiful furniture, suites, hot stone massage and getting my Chakras realigned, for me, all fall on the 'useless crap' side of the ledger.  The g/f loves that sort of stuff if possible, though, so it's good to know we should start considering/booking places now.  I take it from your post that Xmas is sort of a tourist event in Sante Fe in and of itself.

Thanks for the suggestions of the churches, as well, and the Old High Road, if conditions permit.  And I'm about to Google 'gorge of the Rio Grand Santa Fe', since I've never heard of it before.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 03:28:04 pm »

Then i won't mention this http://www.tenthousandwaves.com/   ;D

gnome11

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 12:45:49 pm »

Pecos National Monument is 20 minutes from Santa Fe. Here's a couple I got there. Santa Fe also looks nice in the sun. Mercado area has the pics.

RichDesmond

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of Santa Fe proper, but the surrounding area is gorgeous. Some suggestions for day (or half day) trips:
Take the gorge road to Taos, stop at the church in Ranchos de Taos, (both Adams and O'Keefe did work featuring it) go up to the bridge and/or the pueblo, take the high road back.
Bandelier is very interesting.
Ghost Ranch (where O'Keefe lived for many years) is one of my favorite places in the state, I never run out of inspiration there. Near that is a monastery, Christ in the Desert, that I've taken some of my favorite photos at. It is at the end of a 15 mile dirt road, so a high clearance vehicle helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up