Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hasselblad plannar f2 100mm lens question  (Read 5263 times)

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
hasselblad plannar f2 100mm lens question
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:25:25 pm »

I've just bought a hasselblad plannar f2 100mm to use on my contax 645/p65+ combo.

how do you fit filters onto these lenses? there isn't a thread, just a bayonet. do i but bayonet filters? or is there a bayonet to thread adaptor?

i already own a collection of expensive B&W filters that fit the contax lenses (72mm), so i would like to use these same filters if i could.

cheers paul
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:27:09 pm by paul_jones »
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

sailronin

• David Reams Photography
Re: hasselblad plannar f2 100mm lens question
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:32:32 pm »

It may be possible to buy a bayonet to thread adapter, but I don't know for certain. I use Cokin P-series in a frame with bayonet adapters for different lens diameters.
Someone on the Hasselbladinfo.com site may have a solution.
Thank you for looking, comments and critiques are always welcome.
Dave

http://sailronin.smugmug.com

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 05:00:53 pm »

I assume you mean 110mm, rather than 100mm?

According to this thread, there is a bayonet to 77mm adapter.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »

I've just bought a hasselblad plannar f2 100mm to use on my contax 645/p65+ combo.

how do you fit filters onto these lenses? there isn't a thread, just a bayonet. do i but bayonet filters? or is there a bayonet to thread adaptor?

i already own a collection of expensive B&W filters that fit the contax lenses (72mm), so i would like to use these same filters if i could.

cheers paul
Sorry this is out of the topic Paul, but I am really interested of how the performance of the lens compares with the rest of your C645 lenses, I own all the Contax lenses, but the 350 and additionally use  some carefully selected CZJs (the 65, 180 & 300) as well as a Hartblei 2x TC and the Arsat 30mm f/e MC, I consider to add the 110 f2 in the system due to its speed and I would like to know how it compares with the rest at f5.6-8 and how do you find it at full aperture. I rarely use filters personally but I know that the lens's exterior barrel diameter is less than 72mm so it shouldn't be difficult to make an exterior ring that would end at 72mm, perhaps a 77 to 72 filter ring could be modified so that the 77 part mounts on the exterior of the lens barrel with 3 spacers, but this would probably abandon the hood. Please contact me on the performance of the lens. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:19:05 pm by fotometria gr »

groggylobster

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 01:07:40 pm »

If the inner bayonet filter mount is Hasselblad B60 or B70, Fotodiox has several adapters.

B60 -> 62mm or 67mm or 72mm
B70 -> 72mm or 77mm

http://www.fotodiox.com/index.php?cPath=22_106

They also have some inexpensive replacement hoods for the outer bayonet.

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:09:49 pm »

Sorry this is out of the topic Paul, but I am really interested of how the performance of the lens compares with the rest of your C645 lenses, ......snip.

Not much difference in the look of the other ziess lenses, as it has high contrast and a lot of hard bite, it just has amazing fall off at f2.

As far as the Hartebli, this is the old 45mm tilt shift on a contax.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 04:38:01 pm »

Not much difference in the look of the other ziess lenses, as it has high contrast and a lot of hard bite, it just has amazing fall off at f2.

As far as the Hartebli, this is the old 45mm tilt shift on a contax.

Jesus, I think I'll pass... If I have to stop it down to f4 or 5.6, I can use my 80/f2 or 120m/f4. The f2 was really tempting, my 80 has a similar behavior at full aperture (a bit better) but it improves a lot at 2.8, thereafter... you know... Zeiss! Will you please also quote on the performance at 2.8? Thanks a lot Jim, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
 P.S Thanks fot the Hartblei image, I tried one of these once but I don't really need it, I use the back on a P2 whenever I do still life and my main income is from painting reproduction (mainly Byzantine icons) and printing on canvas, ...thus the imacon 528c. What is your back? It looks like a Dalsa sensor, but its difficult to judge on the monitor (maybe the 33 or 60mpx?).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:06:56 pm by fotometria gr »

paul_jones

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 06:48:52 pm »

i won't be testing my new lens at f4 or smaller, like bcooter, ill use it for the drop off- mainly at f2.
my initial tests though are a little disappointing, i was hoping for a medium format replacement  of my ef 85mm f1.2, but so far it isn't a beautiful as the drop-off with that lens. i still think the 85mm f1.2 is the nicest lenses i have used by far, and I've tested quite a few so far. none of the other ef lenses look as nice (although the f1.8 200mm is pretty special).- but i haven't tried a f1.0 50mm yet.

in the search for a special look, i have bought a pentax 67 600mm f4, and have only done a few tests with it so far. although not very sharp and a heap of ca at f4, the look is very nice- especially when looking through burred stuff  in the foreground. I'm using it with a zoerk adaptor on my contax 645 with the p65+.

paul
check my new website

amsp

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »

My all-time favorite lenses for shallow DoF are the Mamiya 645 80mm f/1.9, and the Pentax 67 105mm f/2.4. Both are much cheaper than the Hasselblad 110mm too.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »

i won't be testing my new lens at f4 or smaller, like bcooter, ill use it for the drop off- mainly at f2.
my initial tests though are a little disappointing, i was hoping for a medium format replacement  of my ef 85mm f1.2, but so far it isn't a beautiful as the drop-off with that lens. i still think the 85mm f1.2 is the nicest lenses i have used by far, and I've tested quite a few so far. none of the other ef lenses look as nice (although the f1.8 200mm is pretty special).- but i haven't tried a f1.0 50mm yet.

in the search for a special look, i have bought a pentax 67 600mm f4, and have only done a few tests with it so far. although not very sharp and a heap of ca at f4, the look is very nice- especially when looking through burred stuff  in the foreground. I'm using it with a zoerk adaptor on my contax 645 with the p65+.

paul
Why don't you try the dedicated 140 f2.8 Zeiss for Contax? The extra focal length should balance most of the loss from the extra stop and is more forgiving when it drops focus. It will also resemble much of the frame of your 85 (if you crop 4:3 a bit). You can't of course have as narrow DOF as the lenses you mention, but I find it narrow enough.., as I said I don't do much studio, but the little I do, thats what I use, I suspect that you may be able to front focus it just a little and you may get DOF the way you want it and still have sharp eyes. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

paul_jones

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 10:12:42 pm »

Why don't you try the dedicated 140 f2.8 Zeiss for Contax? The extra focal length should balance most of the loss from the extra stop and is more forgiving when it drops focus. It will also resemble much of the frame of your 85 (if you crop 4:3 a bit). You can't of course have as narrow DOF as the lenses you mention, but I find it narrow enough.., as I said I don't do much studio, but the little I do, thats what I use, I suspect that you may be able to front focus it just a little and you may get DOF the way you want it and still have sharp eyes. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

i have the 140 2.8, its nice too, but not f2, so the effect is a lot less.
i have to manual focus with all these types of lenses, my subjects are never in the center of frame. next on my shopping list is a new contax body with its mirror replaced with a solid mirror (the standard is semi reflective- for the af and metering)- this adds a stop of brightness to the finder, and a focusing screen made by bill maxwell who claims his screens are 2 stops brighter. so i would end up with a body- thats unmetered and manual focus, but 3 stops brighter to look through.

paul
check my new website

paul_jones

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:23 pm »

My all-time favorite lenses for shallow DoF are the Mamiya 645 80mm f/1.9, and the Pentax 67 105mm f/2.4. Both are much cheaper than the Hasselblad 110mm too.

yes, i have the pentax 2.4 105mm as well, and it has a good look. and my favorite lens back in my film days (with my 645pro) was the mamiya 80 1.9. ill get one of these later, but i think the standard contax 80 f2 is a really nice looking lens, so ill look into the mamiya later on. plus, there aren't any zoerk mamiya M to contax anymore. i would have to modify a mamiya lens permanently with a contax mount to make it work, and i haven't the time right now.

paul
check my new website

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:38:12 am »

i have the 140 2.8, its nice too, but not f2, so the effect is a lot less.
i have to manual focus with all these types of lenses, my subjects are never in the center of frame. next on my shopping list is a new contax body with its mirror replaced with a solid mirror (the standard is semi reflective- for the af and metering)- this adds a stop of brightness to the finder, and a focusing screen made by bill maxwell who claims his screens are 2 stops brighter. so i would end up with a body- thats unmetered and manual focus, but 3 stops brighter to look through.

paul
Where can you have the mirror done? I have 3 bodies and in of them AF has much more hunting than the others, so its useless. Since I also use MF most of the time and I don't use metering in the studio or when reproducing art, I would like to know this. I suspect that if the mirror will be replaced, then the second smaller reflecting to the base-sensor mirror can be abandoned and hence the mechanism will be even quieter and less vibrant, that will be very beneficial for multishot and microstep with my back! I don't know though if abandoning the metering will have any effect to the body/back communication. I suspect that you won't be able to gain 3 stops in total, there is a limit in light ability transmission through the pentaprism isn't there? Even with the maxwell and the mirror replacement I suspect it won't be more than a stop, Contax is very bright already. You may be able to get 2 stops with the WL finder. Please keep me informed (I'll also try to give Priebe a call in the service in Munich). Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

paul_jones

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 02:50:24 pm »

Where can you have the mirror done? I have 3 bodies and in of them AF has much more hunting than the others, so its useless. Since I also use MF most of the time and I don't use metering in the studio or when reproducing art, I would like to know this. I suspect that if the mirror will be replaced, then the second smaller reflecting to the base-sensor mirror can be abandoned and hence the mechanism will be even quieter and less vibrant, that will be very beneficial for multishot and microstep with my back! I don't know though if abandoning the metering will have any effect to the body/back communication. I suspect that you won't be able to gain 3 stops in total, there is a limit in light ability transmission through the pentaprism isn't there? Even with the maxwell and the mirror replacement I suspect it won't be more than a stop, Contax is very bright already. You may be able to get 2 stops with the WL finder. Please keep me informed (I'll also try to give Priebe a call in the service in Munich). Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

hi, i don't find the finder very bright on the contax- i use to have a h1, and its very dark compared with that. doing these mods i hope to get the contax into the same league as the H1.
here is the place that do the mirror replacement-
http://procameraus.com/

paul
check my new website
Pages: [1]   Go Up