Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ricoh GXR-A12 Review  (Read 2982 times)

dreed

Ricoh GXR-A12 Review
« on: October 11, 2011, 04:15:27 pm »

The one phrase that I was looking for at the bottom of this review was the "Tested and recommended." The review seems a bit coy in this area.

Is its absence an indication of a change in editorial style away from that or that it isn't recommended (in its current form)?

That the auto-ISO rounds to the nearest single digit is rather intriguing. Are there any reviews or indications if this is just a software thing or is the hardware really able to do this?

This makes me think that if it is continuously variable ISO then if someone were to hack the firmware, doing ETR right to the line and not just within whatever fraction is allowed by aperture/shutter speed would be possible.

The one aspect that I think is missing from the GXR reviews that I've read is that not only can new sensor modules be used as sensor technology improves, but as the technology in the back improves, that can be replaced independent of the sensor. I think that this is the dark horse here. Whilst replacing the back won't improve SNR or ISO performance, it can address many of the other shortcomings with the camera if they were not able to be fixed with a firmware update - and for not nearly the same cost as going from one NEX camera to the next NEX (for example.)

p.s. To nit pick, the transmission in Formula 1 cars is not automatic, it is semi-automatic. The paddle shifting in current high end road-legal sports cars such as Ferraris comes directly from Formula 1 racing. For reference, see "Understanding Formula 1 engines." And whilst North America has largely moved away from manual shift in cars, other parts of the world - such as Europe - have not yet done so. A visit to a car rental website for Europe such as www.hertz.co.uk will typically present you with all of the cheapest options being manual. Some European locations may only offer one or two models with an automatic transmission, if any. In contrast, do not be surprised if it is impossible to find a manual shift car via www.hertz.com for a North American destination. The design of cars is heavily influenced by local culture.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:18:25 pm by dreed »

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: Ricoh GXR-A12 Review
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:32:34 pm »

The design of cars is heavily influenced by local culture.

Agreed -automatic gearboxes are for sissies ;-) the equivalent of point and shoot on full auto.

Going back to cameras, reviewing and recommending is a tough job today with most mid to high scale cameras being quite decent for most purposes,

I guess the next step is automatically generated camera reviews.

dreed

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:51:33 pm »

Agreed -automatic gearboxes are for sissies ;-) the equivalent of point and shoot on full auto.

Going back to cameras, reviewing and recommending is a tough job today with most mid to high scale cameras being quite decent for most purposes,

I guess the next step is automatically generated camera reviews.

Well, if they can write software to provide commentary on live sports, surely it can't be that hard to (say) take the output from a DxO test run and turn that into a pixel peeping review :-) Commenting on ergonomics might be a bit difficult for software ;)

gab3x

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:15 am »

The reviewer has forgot to mention another economical alternative to M9 which accepts M mount lenses and fit 100% with the Leica ethos and quality of build - it is the M8. It is still on sale used and commanding a rather fair $1000 to $1900 price.

;D

michael

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:25 am »

The reviewer has forgot to mention another economical alternative to M9 which accepts M mount lenses and fit 100% with the Leica ethos and quality of build - it is the M8. It is still on sale used and commanding a rather fair $1000 to $1900 price.

;D
No, I didn't forget the M8. It was a highly flawed camera, requiring IR filters on all lenses. Based on my opinion that RF focusing is rapidly approaching its best before date I decided not to mention it.

Michael

allegretto

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 11:45:16 pm »

p.s. To nit pick, the transmission in Formula 1 cars is not automatic, it is semi-automatic.

ah yes, to nit-pick

well, "semi-automatic" seems rather vague. The dictionary (Merriam-Webster online; http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/automatic?show=0&t=1319859173) defines "automatic transmission" as, "having a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism". Seems apt. Since the driver actuates it, it fails that test, however, after that it does "self-regulate".

Since the Boolean "or" as opposed to "and" is used, it appears that, strictly speaking, "automatic transmission" is the appropriate designation.

Of note, your thinking about the Ricoh is great. Interchangeable backs for the sensor/lens... the whole point of modular design. Nothing lasts forever. Progress never stops, nor does it respect typical models as "direction" implies.

Cheers

h
Pages: [1]   Go Up