Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arizona in November  (Read 5793 times)

petermarrek

Arizona in November
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:25:51 am »

Travelling to Arizona by motorhome at the end of October, any suggestions re: places to photograph would be appreciated. Peter
Just looking for other photo locations beside the Grand Canyon, surely there are a few members of this forum who have some favourite places. Peter
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 02:12:01 pm by petermarrek »

smathia

Re: Arizona in November
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:11:30 pm »

Page, Lake Powell, Sedona.  All within a few hours of the Grand Canyon.

MichaelWorley

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:47 pm »

You're not very specific about destination, duration, type of shooting, or why you want to avoid the Grand Canyon. So here's a list in no particular order or location:

Antelope Canyons, Canyon X, Horseshoe Bend, Canyon de Chelly, Saguaro National Monument [east and west], Monument Valley [yeah, the scenic parts are largely in Arizona], Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Mission San Xavier del Bac, Chiricahua National Monument, Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Old Town Tucson, Marble Canyon, Desert Arboretum Hiway 60, Superstition Mountains, and on and on.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 03:31:11 am »

The Superstition Mountains should rank high on your list.  Four Peaks is also nice.  You might even spend some time on the Mogollon Rim in the area of Horton Creek.  Lots of other great suggestions already, too.

Lonnie Utah

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:18 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Photographing-Southwest-2-Arizona-2nd-Ed/dp/0916189139

I fully second this suggestion. This is the book to have when visiting the South West! In fact the whole set of three books from Laurent Matrès is a must have.
Francois

gnome11

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:35:55 pm »

I just got back from a trip through central Arizona and New Mexico. There is a great rim trail, paved, on the Mogollon Rim near Wood's Canyon. Go up from Christopher Creek area. There is also a place called Promontory Point nearby. It's a fairly rough road to it, but don't need 4WD. Also, got some interesting shots in Jerome, AZ. It's near Cottonwood. Great place to shoot the evening bar crowd with city lights and a great panorama of the desert bluffs behind. I'm an old Tucsonan. The thing about Arizona is you can wander around just about anywhere and find great shots. Personally I like to explore, zen-like, instead of going to the known spots.

kibrand

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:20 am »

Petrified Forest National Park

Be prepared for cold temperatures, bright sun, and wind. I am kicking myself for forgetting a polarizing filter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up