Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Helicon Focus broken with IQ180  (Read 2034 times)

cunim

Helicon Focus broken with IQ180
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:16:25 pm »

A couple of months ago I posted a case to Helicon with some sample images.  Focus stacking that had been working just fine on a 50MP back no longer worked with the larger files from the iq180.  Lots of memory errors, file errors, etc., and retouching is impossible.  Helicon replicated the problem and said they would get a fix out.  I have installed two updated versions of HF since then and no fix.  HF remains unusable on my competent W7/64 PC when dealing with full res iq180 TIF files exported from C1.

Anone else experiencing this?  If yes, I encourage you to contact Helicon with a problem description so that they get on with fixing it.  I suppose I could look at alternatives but I am used to HF and I really detest learning new software.

Graham Mitchell

Re: Helicon Focus broken with IQ180
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:17 am »

Just out of curiosity, are you running HF on a 32 or 64 bit OS?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:54:02 am »

Just out of curiosity, are you running HF on a 32 or 64 bit OS?

Hi Graham,

He is running it on a W7/64 PC (Windows 7 64-bit) PC. I don't know with how many images, and how much memory or whether Helicon Focus uses much of it. I have to assume that the OP has switched on 64-bit support in the HF preferences.

Since he states that HeliconSoft can replicate the problem, I have to assume that they are working on it. They are usually very responsive to such issues, so I don't know what is causing the delay to fix it. Presumably the cause is harder to find than we might think.

While not a real solution, but does downsampling the images a little help?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hubell

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:04:51 am »

I have problems with files from my Phase P65. I can process out the P65 TIFFs that I input into HF using the basic settings but the retouching functions simply will not work. I told HF about this over a year ago. OTOH, I know HF works with files from a 39mp back, so it is clearly a file size issue.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 03:34:30 pm »

Seems to be a windows only problem?  did one from my IQ180 last week with no problems (only 3 images though).

cunim

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:36:48 pm »

Yes, it is a size issue and it may be only Windows.  Here is the interaction with HF just before I sent them my test files.

Our test of the latest 5.2.6 version show that it is able to process 93Mp@16bpc images with Processing Server activated (X64 license). Your images also seem to be 16bpc (456Mb/80Mp = 6 bytes per pixel = 16 bits per channel) The best solution would be to upload your images to our server for tests (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html). You can save them to JPEGs and we will convert them back to 16 bpc TIFFs locally to save uploading time.

I never had this problem with a 50MP back.  I would have expected HF to fix it by now.

Peter

hubell

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:36:16 pm »

It's not a Windows problem. I am on a Mac and the retouching functions in HF 4.2.7 would not work with the files from the P65.
Pages: [1]   Go Up