Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 won't clean head  (Read 2543 times)

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
Epson 3800 won't clean head
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »

I have been getting really bad nozzle check patterns which head cleaning will not improve.  Just ordered a new Ink Maintenance Tank.  Current one down to 5%.   Will that help the head cleansing?  Any tips for improving the need to clean the heads?  The printer is often turned off for more than a week.  Would it help to cover it?  I keep it closed up when not in use.

Thanks for your help, John

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson 3800 won't clean head
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:10:03 pm »

No the maintenance tank will not help unless you are getting error messages that a cleaning cannot be done until you change it.  It's where all the ink goes to when you do a cleaning.

Have you tried a power clean?  Page 86 of the manual describes it...

If that doesn't work the last resort is puddle/head moistening with distilled water or windex.

We recently serviced an Epson and  despite all efforts, 2 nozzles could not be cleared.  Choice was head replacement, or new 3880.  Think they are going to buy a 7900 instead.

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »

Wayne,

Soon after your post, a got a fair, not perfect, nozzle pattern after repeated power cleanings.  Made some prints that worked ok... thought I was back in business.  Now, after a week of the printer turned of, I again have more that 1/2 the heads not printing.  No improvement after 2+ power cleanings.

I'm curious puddle/head moistening.  Found one link on Ink Jet Art.com.  Is it much trouble on the 3800?  I not in the mood to buy a new printer.

John

howardm

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »

multiple power cleanings, one after another (very) often do not have the desired results, other than burning through a lot of ink.  Better to wait an hour or three (this suggestion comes from an Epson technician).

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »

My dealer said something similar.  Tried again this morning with one power clean after an overnight, no improvement.  Has anyone had their printer refurbished at an Epson service center.  I am within 10 miles of one.  I would be willing to spend a reasonable amount to get it working.

John

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:52:23 pm »

Can anyone tell me how much ink does a power cleaning use (as a % of the 3800 cart).
Pages: [1]   Go Up