Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A3+ Paper type?  (Read 1902 times)

Mr_S

A3+ Paper type?
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:31:55 am »

Hi,

I'm looking into some home printing at A3+ size for my print designs (with an eye to sell).  Although I've been inside Photoshop for as long as I can remember, I've never had a need to print anything out as I was in a different buisness altogether (animation). 

My design's are mosty quite graphic, with flat/textured colours, so I won't be needing much actual `photo` printing.

After extensive research, I think I've narrowed down my search for the printer as being the Epson R2880.  I know it has misfeed problems and small ink tanks but hey, I've decided that it's just a compromise I'll have to live with at this point.  Ideally I would love the Epson 3800 but can't justify the price tag at this point.  I can't see myself doing volume printing so I think this seems like a good plan.  Amazon are also offering the 2880 printer at £454 with a £60 rebate from Epson so thats quite attractive.

In terms of the paper, I have no clue as to what I should use.  Gloss will be no good for what I want so I guess that leaves matt or Semi Gloss..  I really want to use a quality heavy paper that adds to the overall print that just says `quality`.  Does anyone have any suggestions for papers based on my above criteria?

As always, thanks in advance...

C.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: A3+ Paper type?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:21:48 am »

In terms of the paper, I have no clue as to what I should use.  Gloss will be no good for what I want so I guess that leaves matt or Semi Gloss..  I really want to use a quality heavy paper that adds to the overall print that just says `quality`.  Does anyone have any suggestions for papers based on my above criteria?

As always, thanks in advance...

C.
Two matte papers that are which I use a lot are Hahnemuhle Photorag Ultrasmooth and Canson Rag Photographique.  Both are heavy papers.

Mr_S

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:52:57 am »

Cheers Alan.

Forgive my ignorance as I have no experience of this, but do those papers have quite a texture on them or are they smooth?

fetish

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 11:25:53 am »

well as the hahmemuehle paper's name implies, ultrasmooth is.. well, ultrasmooth.
if what i've been reading from the forum is correct, the Canson Rag should also be 'smooth' as in you cant feel bumps by touching the surface.  ;D

Mr_S

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:34:51 am »

Heh heh, well I did wonder!  I've asked a print shop to send me some samples so I can get an idea in person.  I think choosing the right paper will be a a bit of trial and error which I guess is stating the obvious really.  The whole print workflow has been a quite a learing curve for me along with color management etc.

All good fun though..sort of :)

Sven W

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:58:33 pm »

Have you consider the new R3000 instead of the someway older 2880?

And a good paper to start without ruin you, is Epson Enhanced Matte.
It's not made of acid free cotton and a bit thin(190 gms), but with a very good image quality.
It goes for $65 for 100 sh 13x19.
Canson Rag is like $95 for 25 sheets 13x19  :D

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 01:51:23 pm »

well as the hahmemuehle paper's name implies, ultrasmooth is.. well, ultrasmooth.
if what i've been reading from the forum is correct, the Canson Rag should also be 'smooth' as in you cant feel bumps by touching the surface.  ;D
Correct, the Canson paper is smooth as well.  In response to your question about texture, you might also take a look at Hahnemuhle William Turner which is a textured paper and quite white.  You might find this to your liking particularly if you have some images that are abstract and might warrant a textured paper.  I've printed a fair amount on it with success.

Mr_S

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 04:17:59 pm »

In response to your question about texture, you might also take a look at Hahnemuhle William Turner which is a textured paper and quite white.  You might find this to your liking particularly if you have some images that are abstract and might warrant a textured paper.  I've printed a fair amount on it with success.

Thanks for the info Alan, will check it out.

@Sven:  Thanks for the tip, but I would have to be looking at acid free for resale purposes if I was too to have any sleep at night.. The Epson 3000 would be nice but a little too much extra $$$ for me at the mo...  Like I said, ideally I would like a pro 3800... :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up