Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wast Water, English Lake District  (Read 3915 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Wast Water, English Lake District
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:36:13 am »

Hi All     First post new to forum so as a way of saying hello and hopefully gaining some critique, id be grateful if you'd have a look at ''Wast Water'' which was taken last week at sunset...thanks Shaun

Wasdale Head Sunset by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Wast Water, English Lake District
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:21:43 am »

Pretty much the classic Wastwater viewpoint, and done to death. But then there's the light, which is magical. Very nice. BTW, there's a reason that viewpoint is done to death - it's just so bloody good!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:53:59 pm »

For us, across the ocean, the location is closer to terra incognita :) It could as well be a classical British landscape, but masterly executed.

Shaun, welcome to the forum!

Based on your first post, you have a lot to contribute and I am looking forward to more. Your image indicates a professional, skilled technical level, and a very good eye for color and composition.

If you insist on a critique, then my nitpick would be to tone down that yellowish patch in the foreground (desaturate it a tiny bit?). It is kind of distracting among the prevailing dusk tones.

shaunw

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 02:42:35 pm »

Thanks Bill And Slobodan

Bill...Granted this is a very popular spot for photography in the UK but iam still happy enough with this shot as its the first time ive taken any photos there, the light was superb that evening just hope i did it justice.

Slobodan... I messed about with compacts for about 10 yrs before my First DLSR about 18 months ago, iam certainly keen and try make the best possible images i can from what i capture...i will certainly have a look at that yellow...thanks.

cheers fellas
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 03:24:48 pm »

Hi Shaun, and welcome to the list!  Thanks for sharing your work!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

shaunw

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:35:00 pm »

Thanks for looking in Mike...cheers

MBMPhotography

• Blog and beyond on G+
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »

The light was really good indeed. I have to visit that region one day...
Sony A7rIII, A6500,

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:52:14 am »

..But then there's the light, which is magical..

Indeed.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 02:33:53 pm »

For us, across the ocean, the location is closer to terra incognita :) It could as well be a classical British landscape, but masterly executed.

Shaun, welcome to the forum!

Based on your first post, you have a lot to contribute and I am looking forward to more. Your image indicates a professional, skilled technical level, and a very good eye for color and composition.

If you insist on a critique, then my nitpick would be to tone down that yellowish patch in the foreground (desaturate it a tiny bit?). It is kind of distracting among the prevailing dusk tones.
I thought the oposit than Slobodan about that greenish yellow in the front..., what I like most though is that you left and took advantage on the distortion of your lens, thus promoting the roundness of the earth! I feel that it makes the scene more communicative than similar landscapes that present the scene in a flat manner trying to only promote lighting. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

popnfresh

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 01:18:39 pm »

I'm not sure I see the point of having color in this photograph. It's essentially monochrome as it is. I almost feel it would be more effective in B&W rather than shades of purple.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 02:24:09 pm »

Nicely done shaun and welcome!! For me, the mossy patch works, I'd have liked to have seen a bit more of the sky above but again that's just my .02  :) Looking forward to seeing some more of your work!

Kevin
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

shaunw

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »

MBMphotography,riaan Van Wyk, fotometeria gr,popnfresh and Kevin....thank you all for taking the time to have a look/thoughts i will consider all the points made

Thanks very much

Shaun

Pages: [1]   Go Up