Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Decommissioning' an Epson 2200  (Read 3285 times)

David Luery

'Decommissioning' an Epson 2200
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:23:52 pm »

I have just purchased the Epson R3000 to replace my 2200.  I haven't decided what to do with the 2200.  Options include:

> making it a dedicated B&W printer (but one reason I purchased the R3000 is its reputed B&W capabilities, so why bother with the 2200?)
> selling it (but it surely has little value)
> giving it to someone in my camera club (assuming anyone wants, even free, an 8 or 9 year old printer)
> keeping it until I figure out what to do with it

The latter, which is the most likely, would seemingly imply that I should somehow drain or empty the ink lines and clean the print head before I store the 2200.  Unfortunately the manual gives no hint regarding the proper or best way to decommission the printer, so I'm hoping someone might have had some experience that he/she can share.

Best regards,

David

BarbaraArmstrong

Re: 'Decommissioning' an Epson 2200
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:17:16 pm »

I paid my custom computer builder a small amount to take two of them off my hands -- worth it to get them out of the house! --Barbara

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:22:17 pm »

Check with your local waste disposal company about their disposal options.

Here old printers, electronics, electrical applliances, etc. are collected in bins at the dump and shredded. The materials are then recycled.

Rich

Peter Mellis

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:29:13 pm »

When I bought my 3800 several years ago, I kept my 2200 up and running. Firstly, I had a bunch of ink for the printer and second, I decided to use it for the odd thing that I didn't want to run the 3800 for. Specifically, I use it for printing on thicker, uncoated watercolor papers where the ink bleeds and I don't think the 3800 would be advantageous and for things like pictures for my grandkids school projects and the odd page of text, from the computer that it is connected to. I also have the space for the machine. Once you "decommission" and store it, you'll probably never use it again.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 05:36:54 pm »

Give it so someone that can't afford one.  That's what I do with my EOL stuff.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:50:53 pm »

I used my old 2200 as a dedicated printer for printing anything on plain paper off the internet. Worked great until I used up all the old ink and bought a $50 Canon to replace it in that capacity.
 It would be a good idea to donate it, though. I'd call the local community college and see if they knew a photography student who could use it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 09:22:32 pm »

I actually managed to sell my 2200 when I bought my 3800. My buyer owned a working 2200 and wanted mine just for spare parts. So I actually got a few bucks for it (I don't even remember how much -- maybe $100). But that was two and a half years ago.

I second the idea of giving it away to someone who will use it.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mburke

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 07:43:11 am »

I sold mine for $100 to a fellow in my camera club. I thought I was going to have to give him all kinds of lessons but he figured it out and seems to be happy. It's nice to have it out of here. I still have and old scanner but no one seems to want one. I'm very happy with my IPF6300.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up