Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best location for advertising photographer ?  (Read 15638 times)

Jonas Lillie

Re: Best location for advertising photographer ?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 02:22:38 pm »

I just had to sign up to LL to comment on this post.

I have been working in Hong Kong for the past 10 years.
Problem here is getting paid. Advertising agencies have a policy to pay you after 12 month... if you are lucky. They prefer to hold on for 18 month. And you need to pay all the production costs, as they dont deal with photographers- only production companies.
Smaller clients are better, but you still feel like you are fighting a war just to get paid.
The Asian culture is very very different to what we are used to dealing with in the west. I have not met any photographers here that could hold on to a client for more than a few years. They dont value a long term work relationship, so even if you land a job,.. and do a REALLY good job, that dosent guarantee the client will consider you again.

China was the way to go 5-10 years ago. But you need to speak chinese.
I think Australia would be great!

just my 2 cents

Jonas

EgillBjarki

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:48 am »

There are very many things that factor into this. I currently live and work in Copenhagen Denmark, and the marked here has taken a hit, like most others have.

I lived most of 2008 in Beijing China, I don't speak Chinese but I did fine. In fact I am moving back to Shanghai next year, if you can manage with the culture and climate I think China is a good spot to be.

I guess time will time if I am right, I am at least very much looking forward to the adventure and inspiration that comes with relocation.

Fritzer

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »

I am curious about your experience in Germany.... 'Germany hasn't been great to begin with, usage rights in particular' what is it that has been underwhelming for you?

Well, in other European countries and the US my fees are usually 2-4 times of what I can get in Germany, and usage rights hardly ever get paid anymore, or only little .
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my work wherever I am, and whatever they pay me, but German agencies tend to treat photographers worse than those in other places I know.
Also, some of the larger clients have developed policies that can actually ruin you if you accept certain assignments and payment schedules .

The best market is where you have your network of contacts. Things are already competitive enough without moving to a new country and having no client network at all.

If you're looking for a magical place where there are no photographers and they're prepared to pay high rates, I think you'll be looking for a long time.

I don't really have a steady client network, it's more about my agent's network in my case .
As for 'magical' place, give me some credit - I'm not that naive ... ;)

I just had to sign up to LL to comment on this post.

I have been working in Hong Kong for the past 10 years.

Thanks very much, Jonas, that's valuable information !

I've been told about the role of production companies in (parts of ?) Asia , and that they actually are crucial for assigning jobs to photographers .
Is that correct ? If so, how do you approach self-promotion ?

... I am at least very much looking forward to the adventure and inspiration that comes with relocation.

Good point .

fredjeang

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 07:05:16 pm »

I don't know if that would help, but I've been learning that when you follow your heart, you get much better, and (important), faster results.

I mean by that, that you can be tempted to be rational and try to get as much infos as you can. This, is the hard way because it always take time, efforts and energy, and that's the way the mind works. Mind likes rational things, proofs of all kinds and is unable to "see" through the mist. But the greatest accomplishments, moves, sucessfull changes aren't the ones that obey to the mind, but the ones that obey to the heart, or the soul, or whatever we can label that, that's not important.

Get your goal in focus, then do...nothing (keep going your daily ocupations without putting any sort of pressure and try to keep the mind away, it's not its business). Something will show-up very soon that will tell you where. All you have to do is being prepared to read the signs. Energy cost: zero. Efficiency: 100%.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 07:09:09 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up