Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALPA Sync Release on IQ180  (Read 1021 times)

siebel

• Bryan Siebel Photographer
ALPA Sync Release on IQ180
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:59:46 am »

I have just noticed that my Alpa Sync Release, which did not originally work with my IQ180, is now working perfectly. I loaded the latest firmware v1.47 a few days ago, so I am guessing that Phase have adjusted the wake-up timing on the back to be more in line with the P65+, which the Sync release works perfectly on.
As I have mentioned before, this little device is a very elegant solution to the wake-up issue with Phase backs.
Sure, we now have zero shutter latency, but using this mode generates a lot of heat, which in turn translates to noise, and also eats batteries. I prefer to use normal latency and a wake-up solution such as the Alpa Sync Release as this avoids both these problems.

I'm off to Iraq to take pictures for a few days, so I'll report on its performance after that.

Cheers,
Bryan Siebel

In the end, it's all about the image.
www.bryansiebel.com

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: ALPA Sync Release on IQ180
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:10:17 am »

Bryan,
Yeah, the early firmwares did not work well.  Mine did not work well at all on the early 180 I demo'ed, but it works quite well on mine with newer firmware.  I like this solution very much.  Apparently the early cords were 'prototype' versions.  Work fine but they are not quite as elegant as the versions being offered now.  I'm going to see if I can somehow exchange mine for the new version when my dealer goes to Zurich this month.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up