Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with "Print Settings" under Lion  (Read 12947 times)

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
Re: Problems with "Print Settings" under Lion
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 07:21:10 pm »

... isn't ABW a printer driver managed setting?

You're right of course - I had actually reached that conclusion myself, though I've not seen it stated anywhere

As far as your other problems, normally when a paper is unavailable it is because you have chosen a paper path which isn't compatible with the paper type, perhaps the new driver is trying to enforce that more aggressively?  Many fine art papers are not supposed to be fed through the normal top slot, but require the rear manual feed or the front manual feed slot.  Any chance that's your problem?

Again you're quite right here, Wayne - I just tried out your suggestion and got all the paper types available using the rear paper feed in page Setup. So yes, we're looking at an increased enforcement in the driver, which can only be good - though documented somewhere would be even better!

As far as workflow, I believe "default" is the same as standard, and yes it's unfortunate that the new drivers will probably wipe out LR presets since those profiles are deleted and replaced with new profiles and the LR presets also remember which printer preset you use which are also lost. I've had the same issue.  After I correct the problem when using a preset I can right click on it and update it to current settings, so I haven't had to make them all from scratch.  Many of the preset settings are still valid.

I know about the right click to update settings - one of the most useful - if also one of the most slippery - aspects of the LR print module. I think the reason I needed to rebuild all my templates may be to do with some of the (with hindsight unnecessary)  driver deletions etc I went through earlier in the process.

I think I'm there now, with help from all who've fed me ideas and suggestions in this thread. I'm not by natural inclination an early adopter, and this time bitten will be the more shy when 10.8 comes along!!

So once again

Thanks to you all - what a great forum this is, in times of need or confusion. Lightroom can be a solitary workspace at times, and that way leads to despair and madness without the help of those who are willing to share their knowledge and expertise from afar!!!

Jim

gizmette

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 08:08:37 pm »

hmmm, I've installed Lion a few months ago (and I'm wearing the collateral expenses like a hairshirt), and I've installed the new 3800 driver, which is new as of 10.11 (or so). Of course, now my printing via Photoshop has gone to the dogs.  I'm printing saturated montages that I would normally just use the printer's default setting (I know, I know, but ICC profiles burned through a lot of paper before I gave up on them).  My paper is Hahnemuehle Bright White Photo Rag.  Their ICC profile, the Pro38 VFAP, has never worked under any OS, but since I'm having to manually feed the paper, this is what it's wanting to default to.  Ive managed to find other means to work around this, but they're getting muddier and uglier.
So, unless someone has a great solution for me, is there any chance I can delete the driver and go back to a previous version, the one that worked for me? 

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 03:42:05 pm »

I was having the same problem after installing the newest driver for the 3880, although I am still on OS 10.6.8.  This mattered to me, because I use custom ABW profiles from Eric Chan that require "Photoshop manages color." Epson's technical support could not provide me with the old driver.  Fortunately, someone on Dpreview suggested that I look for the .dmg for the driver on my computer.  I found it in my Downloads folder and installed it.  Now, my printer driver is back to where it was.

Assuming that the driver for OS 10.6 is compatible with Lion, you may be able to do the same.  Good luck.

Here is a thread on the subject that I started.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=60332.0

Rob

GeoEng51

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2011, 12:54:16 pm »

I hadn't used my Epson 3880 for a while; fired it up yesterday to print off some photos for Christmas, and got an unexplained error.  It finally dawned on me that I hadn't used the printer since I upgraded to Lion in the fall.  I should have remembered, as I had a similar problem with a previous Epson printer when upgrading to Leopard.  After trying to reinstall the print driver, with no successful outcome, I found this discussion, and in particular Wayne Fox's advice on doing a complete clean out of the printer system:

http://www.cwaynefox.com/myBlog/Printing/Entries/2009/12/8_TROUBLESHOOTING_EPSON_PRINTERS_AND_SNOW_LEOPARD.html

to be just what I needed.  Followed his advice to the tee, and everything is now working properly.  Thanks Wayne!!

(Chrismas) Cheers.....John   :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up