Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with "Print Settings" under Lion  (Read 12944 times)

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
Problems with "Print Settings" under Lion
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »

I've just installed Lion on my Mac Pro, and downloaded the latest driver for my Epson 3800. In the process I seem to have lost the ability to access the "Color" and "Color Settings" drop-down's under "Print Settings" in the driver menu: see screenshot - these are greyed out and inoperative

I'm trying to print from LR 3.5

Anyone suggest what's going on here?

Thanks in advance

Jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Problems with "Print Settings" under Lion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:33:53 pm »

Not yet on Lion but I can tell you that in LR you do NOT want to use a preset as you show below (should be Standard, the saved settings are applied in LR itself when you save the print setup). So at the very least, try toggling to presets:Standard.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:59:21 pm »

I've just installed Lion on my Mac Pro, and downloaded the latest driver for my Epson 3800. In the process I seem to have lost the ability to access the "Color" and "Color Settings" drop-down's under "Print Settings" in the driver menu: see screenshot - these are greyed out and inoperative

I'm trying to print from LR 3.5

Anyone suggest what's going on here?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Often when a setting becomes "greyed" out it is because OS X has installed the CUPS driver for the printer.  Whenever OS X sees a new printer it will by default load a driver for it, unfortunately sometimes with Epsons professional machines it isn't the one you want.

Things to try. In the printer preference pane, try to reinstall the printer.  You may or may not have to delete the previous printer (note if you do the  OS may quickly "reinstall" the wrong driver again.

You may have to do a compete clean out of your printing system which involves uninstalling all Epson drivers, then reinstall your printer driver.  (Here's my write up on how to do this).

Jim-St

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:54:46 pm »

Not yet on Lion but I can tell you that in LR you do NOT want to use a preset as you show below (should be Standard, the saved settings are applied in LR itself when you save the print setup). So at the very least, try toggling to presets:Standard.

Thanks Andrew - I'm surprised, as I've been saving Presets in the driver for paper-types etc as well as saving Print Settings in LR for as long as I've been using LR (since beta 1), but I take your point that it may be otiose. Not harmful, though, in my experience, and in the present circumstances I'm getting the same issues in the LR Print Settings dialogue as I do when going into  the driver after pressing "Print". Maybe Wayne's suggestion will sort this...

Often when a setting becomes "greyed" out it is because OS X has installed the CUPS driver for the printer.  Whenever OS X sees a new printer it will by default load a driver for it, unfortunately sometimes with Epsons professional machines it isn't the one you want.

Things to try. In the printer preference pane, try to reinstall the printer.  You may or may not have to delete the previous printer (note if you do the  OS may quickly "reinstall" the wrong driver again.

You may have to do a compete clean out of your printing system which involves uninstalling all Epson drivers, then reinstall your printer driver.  (Here's my write up on how to do this).

Thanks Wayne - I've had a quick look through your blog piece tonight, and will have to look at it in more detail tomorrow morning. I'll post back tomorrow when I've had a chance to do a clean out and let folks know how it goes

Once again, thanks to you guys both!

Jim

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:39:57 pm »

Have you checked the Color Matching section? If it's set to ColorSync those printer settings will be greyed out. If it's set to EPSON Color Controls, they will be available.

Photo Op

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:02:56 pm »

Often when a setting becomes "greyed" out it is because OS X has installed the CUPS driver for the printer.  (Here's my write up on how to do this).

Or maybe finally, Epson drivers (8.64 for 3880) have caught up to the fact that one has chosen the proper printer option settings in LR that result in these options NOT being available in the driver thereby avoiding double profiling. Maybe Mr. Schewe can offer an opinion?
David

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 07:10:03 pm »

Maybe Mr. Schewe can offer an opinion?

Maybe...I think the odds are he's got the CUPS version of the driver and will need to download the most recent driver from the Epson web site then do the most recent Epson Common Updater v7.0. Be sure to install the common updater AFTER the most recent driver.

Photo Op

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:53 pm »

Maybe...I think the odds are he's got the CUPS version of the driver and will need to download the most recent driver from the Epson web site then do the most recent Epson Common Updater v7.0. Be sure to install the common updater AFTER the most recent driver.

For the 3800 you're right it still requires the Common Updater. But, for the 3880, there's a new driver that specifically states that the Updater is not needed. So, back to the original request in my post (not trying to hyjack the OPs question) but Jeff, do you think Epson and Apple are finally playing nice with the latest driver for the 3880 that's compatible with Lion.

And on another note, how did you respond so quickly to a post containing your last name? I know you're GOOD, but that's scary! :)
David

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »

So, back to the original request in my post (not trying to hyjack the OPs question) but Jeff, do you think Epson and Apple are finally playing nice with the latest driver for the 3880 that's compatible with Lion.

And on another note, how did you respond so quickly to a post containing your last name? I know you're GOOD, but that's scary! :)

I have no reason to think one way or the other...other than Apple is incredibly difficult to deal with on the corporate level. As for responding quickly, it was a thread I was watching...personally, I've NOT yet updated production machines to Lion. Just a clone of my boot drive for my laptop. I'm thinking 10.7.3 might be the time for me...I've got too many exotic equipment attached to production machines to "wonder" if stuff is gonna work as expected. 10.6.8 has been solid (once we got to 10.6.6 and above). Just sayin'...

:~)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 11:52:35 pm »

Dave, good catch.  I think you are right on this.  The dimmed items in the dialog box in the OP is something I haven't seen before, so like Jeff just guessing.  dimmed or lined out items in dialogs are a pretty normal symptom of the CUPS driver getting in the way.

HOWEVER, it appears the new driver is smart enough to know that when you choose application manages color (PS or LR), those options should not be selected and are greyed out.  If you choose Printer manages color from the application, they work as normal.  Just confirmed this with my 4900.

Photo Op

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 03:37:25 am »

HOWEVER, it appears the new driver is smart enough to know that when you choose application manages color (PS or LR), those options should not be selected and are greyed out.  If you choose Printer manages color from the application, they work as normal. 

Yup, that's my hope! Finally!
David

Jim-St

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 04:56:19 am »

Often when a setting becomes "greyed" out it is because OS X has installed the CUPS driver for the printer.  Whenever OS X sees a new printer it will by default load a driver for it, unfortunately sometimes with Epsons professional machines it isn't the one you want.

Things to try. In the printer preference pane, try to reinstall the printer.  You may or may not have to delete the previous printer (note if you do the  OS may quickly "reinstall" the wrong driver again.

You may have to do a compete clean out of your printing system which involves uninstalling all Epson drivers, then reinstall your printer driver.  (Here's my write up on how to do this).

I see this thread has developed overnight, and I'm now a little uncertain what to conclude re my issue.

However, I've set about trying to follow Wayne's method as per his blog post.

Not going too well, though, as I'm not able to perform the Uninstall from the new Driver installer - the option simply doesn't arise, and so it's just installed itself again. However, in the Print & Scan System Pref, under Options & Supplies, it clearly shows I've got the latest Epson Driver (v.8.64) installed in there. So I'm thinking maybe the issue is not that I'm using a CUPS driver after all. So it's something else...

I'd do the full de-crufting thing Wayne recommends if I could find the "Uninstall" option in the Epson installer, so if anyone can suggest what I'm missing here I'd be much obliged!

As to the Common Updater, I didn't install that, but will do so now. Just to note: there seems to be a disparity of versions of this between the UK and USA Epson sites. UK site has "Mac OS X Common Updater  {v.5.0:} 28-Dec-2010, 35.0MBs", while USA site has "Common Updater v7.0 posted on 05/13/10 13.6MB"
I'll install the UK one for now, but I don't expect it to fix my immediate problem

Any further suggestions welcome

Thanks again

Jim
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:03:38 am by Jim-St »

Jim-St

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:20:30 am »

Just to update a couple of points:

1. I've looked in the Devices menu in ColorSync, as Wayne suggests, and there are just 2 printers listed - the 3800 and a Canon I use for non-photo printing. So I'm not sure there's much cruft to clean out here (?)

2. In the System Prefs> Print&Scan > Options & Supplies > Driver tab  there's a drop down called "Print Using:" If I select "Select Printer Software..." I get a long list of (I think) all the drivers on the system. If I put "3800" in the Filter box, I get the list below (see screenshot)

I'm not sure how much if any of this is new in Lion, but (i) there's no explicitly identified CUPS driver there, and (ii) there are 2 options for my printer, "Epson SPro 3800" and "Epson SPro 3800C"

If anyone can make any sense of this, I'm all ears!

Jim

francois

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:35 am »

Just to update a couple of points:

1. I've looked in the Devices menu in ColorSync, as Wayne suggests, and there are just 2 printers listed - the 3800 and a Canon I use for non-photo printing. So I'm not sure there's much cruft to clean out here (?)

2. In the System Prefs> Print&Scan > Options & Supplies > Driver tab  there's a drop down called "Print Using:" If I select "Select Printer Software..." I get a long list of (I think) all the drivers on the system. If I put "3800" in the Filter box, I get the list below (see screenshot)

I'm not sure how much if any of this is new in Lion, but (i) there's no explicitly identified CUPS driver there, and (ii) there are 2 options for my printer, "Epson SPro 3800" and "Epson SPro 3800C"

If anyone can make any sense of this, I'm all ears!

Jim

Jim,
I don't know if this will help you:
• CUPS = Gutenprint (a bit simplified…)
• On my Macs (10.7.1, Epson 3800 version 8.64), EPSON SPro 3800 is selected but I never had to choose that.  When I installed Mac OS X 10.7.1 on a freshly formatted drive, I just installed the Epson drivers and went to System Preferences > Print & Scan and pressed the + button.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 09:23:28 am by francois »
Francois

Jim-St

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:39:57 pm »

Thanks Francois - I too installed the Epson drivers just after installing Lion, but didn't do it on a newly-formatted drive (just ran Disk Utility from backup drive to Verify my Mac HD, and from the Mac HD to repair permissions, before and after the Lion installation and again after Epson installation).

I thought that might be enough, because I'd searched around a bit - here and in Google - for issues with 3800 and Lion, and found none.

So I took the plunge, and everything else is OK except I can't access the Color or Color Settings stuff in the driver. I've tried a couple of A4 colour prints, and quality seems fine. No way I can use the AdvB&W stuff though, or print without re-setting paper type in the driver, as that just sticks with last used until manually reset...

I've also lost a set of paper presets that used to show up in the driver's Presets menu under Snow Leopard. I guess I'm going to have to do a complete unistall/reinstall of all the Epson stuff and hope that fixes this. Just hoping someone can advise on best way to do this

Jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »

No way I can use the AdvB&W stuff though, or print without re-setting paper type in the driver, as that just sticks with last used until manually reset...

Which is why I think something is hosed on your end. Might need to reset the print system (In Printers and Fax, Control Click to call up menu), reinstall drivers.

Jim-St

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 02:34:19 pm »

Might need to reset the print system (In Printers and Fax, Control Click to call up menu), reinstall drivers.

Thanks Andrew, that's what I was waiting to hear. Wayne describes a more elaborate routine for uninstall/reinstall in his blog piece. Are you saying all I need do is reset and then click the "+" in the Prefs pane to reinstall? Seems to me a deeper clean-out might be needed  :-\

Jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 02:36:06 pm »

Thanks Andrew, that's what I was waiting to hear. Wayne describes a more elaborate routine for uninstall/reinstall in his blog piece. Are you saying all I need do is reset and then click the "+" in the Prefs pane to reinstall? Seems to me a deeper clean-out might be needed  :-

I’d try that first before doing the full Epson printer enema process.

Jim-St

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:35:39 pm »

Well, tried that one...

Reset printers in System Prefs, ran DU to repair permissions, restarted machine and reinstalled the Epson in the Pref pane.

Went into LR, to Print module, and clicked LR's Print Settings button on a pic with an LR preset selected in the Presets panel. Driver comes up showing that all my existing paper presets have gone, leaving only what's shown in the screenshot. But lo and behold, Color and Color Settings are back! Didn't last though. Second time I went into driver's Print Settings menu, they're greyed out again :'(

Tried repeating whole process a couple more times, but never got them back agin

So I think I've still got something interfering with the driver's Print Settings menu, and I guess I'll need the  deep clean-out and fresh reinstall

Any advice on how best to do this (since I didn't get far with Wayne's method - see my "Reply 11" post above, can't get the "Uninstall" option in the Epson driver installer)?

Maybe I can short-circuit that in some way???

Any suggestions welcome

Jim

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »

So I think I've still got something interfering with the driver's Print Settings menu, and I guess I'll need the  deep clean-out and fresh reinstall

Again did you download and install the Epson Common Updater v7 AFTER you installed the most recent 3800 driver?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up