Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe + Hasselblad Cooperation  (Read 28039 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Adobe + Hasselblad Cooperation
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2011, 04:46:40 pm »

In a sense the best we can hope for then is the Leica model, impeccable classical optical design which yields perfect files from the outset.

I think Leica is a perfect example...they decided to adopt DNG as their raw file format (and I suspect there was work behind the scenes between Leica and Adobe to make sure DNG carried the required metadata in the right form. They also adopted Lightroom as their base software. All their lenses (as far as I know, maybe only recent lenses) are also supported for lens corrections. If finicky Leica can adopt DNG and Lightroom and remain concentrated developing cameras, sensors and lenses, I think Leica is leading the way...

BTW, there IS a way of doing LCC when converting to DNG. The LCC correction has to be properly imbedded in the Opcodes in DNG and the correction will be applied upon processing. Unfortunately there's no manual way of doing that in ACR or LR–there's no UI for it. But the camera maker's software could do that or somebody could write a utility to do it.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2011, 04:49:30 pm »

I can't seem to get ACR or LR to read the IIQs file from PO.   Is there only limited support for PO, or is there a way to get LR to recognize an IIQs from the IQ180?

ACR 6.5 and LR 3.5 should read IQ180 files...my files are read whether or not I've used TIFF or IIQ files...they also read Sensor + files as well. How are you getting the IQ 180 files out of Capture One into ACR/LR? Note, the C1 corrections won't be applied...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2011, 04:50:25 am »

Leica is a perfect example because Adobe makes less money of an S2 or an M9 than Leica, so having Adobe do their software makes sense and lets them concentrate on hardware.

But now take a Canon Rebel, which costs $500 or something, and then the enthusiast user is supposed to go out and get Lightroom ($200) and Photoshop ($200) which cost Adobe zilch marginal cost to sell over the net. In the end the user has spent maybe $1200 in camera gear lenses and software, and Adobe has made $400 of profit. Well, it doesn't make sense from  Canon's point of view - Canon is making the camera, Adobe is making several times the profit of Canon's sale of that camera.

So in a sense, with our high-end cameras Adobe is selling camera accessories, but for consumer enthusiast models the camera is now economically an accessory input device to the main profit maker which is Adobe.

And let's face it, I don't think Adobe is going to be very happy with any camera company who differentiate themselves enough to threaten the fungibility of input devices  ;D

Which is why I believe that we will only see real consumer-level innovation from companies who find some trick to keep the value now going to Adobe for themselves. You can do a lot of innovation if you have $250 of R&D budget available for a $1000 product.

Edmund

PS This scenario played out in the PC world, with IBM, Compaq (remember them?), HP, Dell and many many others making PCs and Microsoft making the profit. Every attempt by the PC makers to differentiate and innovate got nixed. In the end the only company which could innovate was Apple, because it got the added R&D budget and because Microsoft slowed innovation to a crawl at its symbionts. We're heading the same way in the camera world, with fully interchangeable SLRs . I am afraid RED is the only standout as they still control their product end to end.

PPS As a example imagine Marvelous Camera has committed to Lightroom, and makes clone cameras, and now wants to make a camera with a totally new sensor that has several levels of focus. How can they market this? If Adobe don't integrate the converter their innovation is unmarketable! Any company which relies on Lightroom has abdicated control of its destiny.

I think Leica is a perfect example...they decided to adopt DNG as their raw file format (and I suspect there was work behind the scenes between Leica and Adobe to make sure DNG carried the required metadata in the right form. They also adopted Lightroom as their base software. All their lenses (as far as I know, maybe only recent lenses) are also supported for lens corrections. If finicky Leica can adopt DNG and Lightroom and remain concentrated developing cameras, sensors and lenses, I think Leica is leading the way...

BTW, there IS a way of doing LCC when converting to DNG. The LCC correction has to be properly imbedded in the Opcodes in DNG and the correction will be applied upon processing. Unfortunately there's no manual way of doing that in ACR or LR–there's no UI for it. But the camera maker's software could do that or somebody could write a utility to do it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:23:42 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2011, 04:32:36 pm »

I've now processed about 40 photos in lightroom. I'm very happy with how it's working, as much as i loved Phocus, Lightroom just has a slicker workflow for me. The colors are good and i compared side by side with a file from Phocus. It's pretty darn close.

I think Phocus still has some extra DAC corrections that LR doesn't handle. But i'm very satisfied with the results so far. Good job Hasselblad/Adobe!

design_freak

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2011, 03:10:52 am »

I've now processed about 40 photos in lightroom. I'm very happy with how it's working, as much as i loved Phocus, Lightroom just has a slicker workflow for me. The colors are good and i compared side by side with a file from Phocus. It's pretty darn close.

I think Phocus still has some extra DAC corrections that LR doesn't handle. But i'm very satisfied with the results so far. Good job Hasselblad/Adobe!

Never Settle for “Good Enough” ;D
Best regards,
DF

BrendanStewart

• http://www.symbolphoto.com
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2011, 10:22:56 pm »

I'm not settling... that's why i went Hasselblad. :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up