Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on 9900 Service mode cleanings  (Read 3771 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Question on 9900 Service mode cleanings
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:11:46 am »

Sorry if this seem redundant, but after reading over many of the existing posts, I still am a bit confused on a few topics with the Epson 9900 in Service mode.

When in service mode, can you clean just one channel? or do you have to clean the channels in pairs?  And can you pick the levels CL1-CL4 for only one color channel?
Can this be picked from either the computer or the printers LCD or both.  In the user guide to the 9900 that I found on line, it only seemed to talk about pairs cleaning,
not a single channel cleaning.

If you run the cleaning from the computer, I am assuming it is from the Printer utility software? 

I have read through many users blogs but will not not have a 9900 for a week or so, I am just trying to get a handle on the use of service mode, as I can't find very
much written about it in user guides and the like.

From what I can ascertain, with the latest firmware available some  printers are working like they were supposed to with ANC on, but others still need to have ANC turned
off and have the the nozzles check while in Service mode. 

Feedback would be appreciated.

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BillK

• http://
Re: Question on 9900 Service mode cleanings
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:39:17 am »

I have a 7900, I'm pretty sure they operate the same.
You have to clean channels in pairs, you can pick CL1-CL4 for that pair, or all colors.
I wish you could do a single channel, but no.

Not aware of any way to use service mode through your computer printer utility.
I always do it at the printer. To enter service mode you hold down the OK, Menu, and Page down buttons
while powering up the printer. Then choose your choice of cleaning using the printer's controls, "menu button" ect..
There are several other things you can do in service mode, but unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing,
I would stay away from them.

I leave ANC off and just do a nozzle check before I start a project, in either regular or service mode.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:27:49 pm »

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. 

While in service mode, after you have run the cleanings, where to run the nozzle checks from?  The printer LCD or your computer.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:09:10 pm »

Service mode cleans are done from the panel, not from the computer.  You can clean all of the colors at various levels, or you can clean channels.  The advantage of service mode is you can use a CL-1 which consumes less ink than the cleans available when not in service mode - how much I've never been able to determine, but it really would only be significant if you have missing nozzles and needing to run cleaning cycles quit frequently.  You can still tell the printer to print a nozzle check pattern from the computer (which you can't do from the panel in service mode) to see if the nozzles are clear.

It seems somewhat normal for these machines to be problematic for a short period of time with missing nozzles, then settling out. My 4900 had some issues for the first couple of weeks, but is happily churning away now with full ANC enabled.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:38:04 pm »

Wayne,

Thanks for the response and the info you had posted on your websites, a great start. 

One more question.  When you say you can clean channels, is this via pairs cleaning or can you clean a individual channel, i.e. just clean PK black by itself. 

It sounds like after installation, I need to turn off ANC for a while and just check for clogs while in service mode.  After the printer has been operational for while,
then try to run with ANC on. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up