Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 3.5 Final Release & i1Profile Fix for Canon iPF printers  (Read 11578 times)

Doyle Yoder

LR 3.5 Final Release & i1Profile Fix for Canon iPF printers
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:55:07 am »

It has also came to my attention that the i1Profiler 1.1.1.8202 release now uses Apple's new printing path so that fix is now in included in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file as well. I am almost certain that the original release of i1Profiler used Apple's old printing path. Can anyone confirm?

No Color Correction fixed for Lightroom 3.5 Final Release.

For some reason starting with LR 3.5 RC you need to include the bundle version number in the special casing file, AppColorMatchingInfo.xml.

The file also has the old Lightroom listing for 3.4 and earlier still included but does not have Lightroom 3.5 RC listed.

Once again because of Canon's use of a special casing file to identify applications that when choosing application manages color printing, set No Color Correction instead of Color in the printer driver, LR3.5 needs to be added to the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file.

This file includes all previous updates, but I have removed all previous Lightroom Release Candidates

http://www.dypinc.com/Canon/AppColorMatchingInfo.xml.zip

The file goes here.

/Library/Printers/Canon/GARO/Frameworks/GARO_CUPS.framework/Versions/A /Resources/AppColorMatchingInfo.xml

Make sure you save the original in case you want to go back to it. If you find any applications using Apples new print path that shows Color grayed out when choosing Application manages color to print, let me know.

Doyle

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: LR 3.5 Final Release & i1Profile Fix for Canon iPF printers
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:01:49 am »

It has also came to my attention that the i1Profiler 1.1.1.8202 release now uses Apple's new printing path so that fix is now in included in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file as well. I am almost certain that the original release of i1Profiler used Apple's old printing path. Can anyone confirm?

I know that the newer version now updates the ColorSync area of my Epson drivers such that the radio buttons are grayed out like we see in Photoshop and Lightroom and this wasn’t the case in the original release. The new version is using the Apple SPI called kPMApplicationColorMatching to do this. So presumably X-Rite is using this SPI now, in latest versions of i1P, in order to get this behavior.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:24:53 pm »

I have updated the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file to include Lightroom 3.6 RC.

http://www.dypinc.com/Canon/AppColorMatchingInfo.xml.zip

Doyle

HaraldL

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:44 pm »

Thanks for your ongoing efforts, Doyle. You are a big time saver ;-)

But I justed tried to print form PS CS5.1 (for the first time...i usually print out of LR) and recognized, that it is not included in the XML-file. But the following addition did the trick:

<dict>
      <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
      <string>Adobe Photoshop CS5.1</string>
      <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
      <string>12.1</string>
   </dict>

Can you include this in your future releases?

Best wishes
Harald

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 07:12:29 am »

I haven't installed PS CS 5.1 but I have been asking about it.

Thanks for letting me know. I will be sure to include it in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:19:47 am by Doyle Yoder »

HaraldL

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 08:04:54 am »

No, thank _you_ for discovering and publishing this!

BTW: I have some color management problems using Free Layout and 16bit with the Canon 6300. By any chance, do you happen to have these problems, too?

dc

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »

Doyle, now that we have lightroom 4 to play with, will you be updating your ipf file to reflect this?  please, pretty please.   :-*

thanks, Doug

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 04:53:55 pm »

Yes I have done that. I just forgot to post it here. Also PSCS6 is listed as well.

Same link as above post.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:53:01 pm by Doyle Yoder »

dc

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »

thank you Doyle!

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:43 am »

Just to double check Doyle, your AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file for Canon iPF printers and i1 Profiler is still valid for i1 Profiler v1.2?

Georgecp

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »

Thank you Dayle and others for your contribution to this topic.  I am on the middle of profile creation HELL with my IPF5100.  I have had the printer for 4 years and love it; however, I just replaced the heads ($1k) and cannot print a saved profile target that correctly reads with I1 Profiler.  I keep CS3 on my machine and the Adobe Utility for this purpose.  I am using the 2.62 version of the Canon Driver and OSX 1.6.8 Snow Leopard.

I have installed your Xml file and have the following question: when I go to print with the Adobe utility, the "color matching" dialog is greyed out and the colorsync is selected.  Additionally, under the "main" dialog, the Color setting is greyed out but is does read "no color correction".

When installing your xml file, I restarted the computer.  Do I need to delete and re-add the printer to ensure it uses the latest version of the Xml file?

Does this mean that I am actually getting no color correction? or is the greyed out "colorsync" setting still messing things up?

I tried printing the same target with PS/CS3 and it failed the I1 profiler reading cycle.  I printed the target through CS3 with "printer manages colors" selected and "no color correction" selected in the 2.62 driver.  So I think something is still going on behind the scenes to do unwanted color management.  FYI, I already have my I1Profiler set to .5 for wider latitude reading patches with glossy papers per X-Rite tech support.

Thanks for your help with this.  I am quite disappointed in Canon Tech Support and X-Rite this time around. They both seem to be more interested in passing the buck rather than helping me solve the problem.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »

First off I would never trust PSCS3, it had some kind of half baked CM (for use with Apples OS at the time) when printing and I don't think works correctly with the newer OS's.

>"I have installed your Xml file and have the following question: when I go to print with the Adobe utility, the "color matching" dialog is greyed out and the colorsync is selected.  Additionally, under the "main" dialog, the Color setting is greyed out but is does read "no color correction".

This is the correct way it should work except when printer managed color is selected.

>"When installing your xml file, I restarted the computer.  Do I need to delete and re-add the printer to ensure it uses the latest version of the Xml file?"

No need to restart the computer. Do not delete and re-add the printer, as it will install the old Xml file.

>"Does this mean that I am actually getting no color correction? or is the greyed out "colorsync" setting still messing things up?"

Again with applications that use Apple's new printing path, when you choose application manages color, under Color MAtching, Colorsync will be selected as default and grayed out. Under Main/Color Mode: when the application is listed in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml, Color Mode: with be defaulted to No color correction (no CM applied in the driver) If the application is NOT listed in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml, Color Mode: with be defaulted to Color (CM will be applied in the driver).

>"I tried printing the same target with PS/CS3 and it failed the I1 profiler reading cycle.  I printed the target through CS3 with "printer manages colors" selected and "no color correction" selected in the 2.62 driver.  So I think something is still going on behind the scenes to do unwanted color management.  FYI, I already have my I1Profiler set to .5 for wider latitude reading patches with glossy papers per X-Rite tech support."

You need to ditch PSCS3 unless you want run the OS that was current when CS3 was released.

>"Thanks for your help with this.  I am quite disappointed in Canon Tech Support and X-Rite this time around. They both seem to be more interested in passing the buck rather than helping me solve the problem."

I don't have a problem with X-Rite or i1Profiler. Canon on the other hand needs to deal with this special cases file. But it was a better approach than what Epson did until they seemingly got there act together. Canon need to have all there tech support aware of this. I have reminded them numerous times, almost every time a new app is released or updated.

As long as you have my AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file (the current posted one) you should be able to print correct profiling targets from i1Profiler 1.2 and the Adobe Color Printing Utility.

I have my doubts about printed anything correct from PSCS3 and 10.6.8. Correct targets, no way. Correct prints maybe if you convert to your printer profile in PS and then choose Printer Manages Color, Color Matching:  Vendor Matching, Main/Color Mode: No color correction, if you're lucky. CS3 10.0 is listed in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file so if it is coded correctly for Apple's new printing path it might work, (the setting appear correct) but I would not bet on it as I recall PSCS3 was a real problem. There may also be a difference in 10.0.1.

Now having explained all this, I am wondering why you are not using Canon's Plugin to print from CS3 to your iPF5100?

Georgecp

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 04:52:58 pm »

Thanks Doyle,

I just tied reading the new target that I printed this morning with the Adobe Color Print utility and the correct printer driver settings as described above it the target failed again. I believe the I1Profiler software is OK because I read an old profile target that I saved and it measured just fine.

I have kept CS3 on my machine because I have read in several articles, including on by Mr. Dubovoy on this site, that it was the last version of Photoshop that did not perform the implicit color management on OSX.  I understand your recommendation and will stay away from it for now in order to isolate as many variables as I can to solve this problem.

I considered printing out of CS5 using the plugin.  However, doesn't this bypass the regular printer driver so the resulting profile would not be valid with the printer driver?  My objective in profiling the printer is to be able to print color from Lightroom.

Still, I was unsuccessful printing a simple target saved out of I1Profile and printed with the Adobe Color Utility today.  At this point, I am not sure what to try next and feel that I am at a dead end.  If you have any ideas, I would appreciate your thoughts.......  I will try to print directly out of I1Profile and see if that works as a next step.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:28 pm »

I print my i1 Profiler targets through the Canon iPF print driver.

Georgecp

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 05:15:32 pm »

Ellis,

Can you please review for me the exact workflow you use to do this, including what you are using to print the target, the printer driver settings,  and what versions of I1Profile, OSX, and the Canon printer driver you are using?  Also, have you made any adjustments to i1Profiler patch sensitivity readings?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I am trying to nail this down and I am having trouble.

Regards,
George Pappas

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 05:47:02 pm »

Still, I was unsuccessful printing a simple target saved out of I1Profile and printed with the Adobe Color Utility today.  At this point, I am not sure what to try next and feel that I am at a dead end.  If you have any ideas, I would appreciate your thoughts.......  I will try to print directly out of I1Profile and see if that works as a next step.

Are you using default targets in i1Profiler? You might want to adjust patch size etc. to see if that makes a difference. Also I have noticed that with reading targets with i1Profiler that you have to wait or pause longer than some other software after reading a row before releasing switch. I had some trouble with i1Profiler until I learned to wait longer to release the switch.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »

Ellis,

Can you please review for me the exact workflow you use to do this, including what you are using to print the target, the printer driver settings,  and what versions of I1Profile, OSX, and the Canon printer driver you are using?  Also, have you made any adjustments to i1Profiler patch sensitivity readings?

Thanks in advance for your help.  I am trying to nail this down and I am having trouble.

Regards,
George Pappas

Hi George,

George,
Here is my set up.

27” i5 mid 2010 iMac with 16GB RAM , currently running OS X 10.6.8. AdobePhotoshop CS5 Extended, Lightroom 3.6 and Lightroom 4 beta.  Canon iPF Export module installed  in PsCS5. Profiles are made using Xrite i1 Profiler v1.2. I also use ColorThink v2.3 to help evaluate profiles and individual image color content.  My largest  in house printer is a Canon iPF5300imagePROGRAF.

I have two displays: the white LED backlit display in the iMac and an Eizo CG222W which was recently completely refurbished (including new screen and backlight) by Eizo.  The iMac is calibrated and profiled with an i1 Display Pro colorimeter (D65, brightness 80, gamma 2.2) and the Eizo using ColorNavigator 6.

In i1 Profiler I create an 1800-2000 patch target with the following settings: Colorful; and large 16 bit A to B and B to A tables; Default smoothness; Bradford, and ICC v2 profiles.

I export the target as a TIFF and open it in PsCS 5 and do not assign a profile. In the Canon Export module and driver I do not assign a profile and make sure all color management is off. The targets are printed and allowed to dry overnight. The next day I read them with my i1 Pro.

Prints are judged using a Soft-View D5000 transparency/Print viewer.

I have not made any adjustments to i1 Profiler’s patch sensitivity.

This is all from memory and rough notes as I have not had to make a new profile in a few months, but will be doing so tomorrow for a new (to me) paper.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:23:34 pm by Ellis Vener »

Georgecp

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 11:03:27 pm »

Ellis,

Thank you for taking the time to describe your setup and workflow.  It is very similar to mine.  Are you using the latest version of I1Profiler that was released in November?  I believe that it is v1.2 but I am not sure of the release numbers.

At least with the Xml file from Doyle, I now have the Adobe color print utility printing without CM.  I have printed the targets from I1Profiler, Adobe Color print, and CS5 through the plug-in and the targets all look very similar.  I am still having problem reading the targets without getting the "wrong patches" message.  I am going check with Xrite tomorrow and perhaps up the measurement tolerance setting to see if that fixes the measurement problem while still producing good profiles.

I will keep the group posted on my results.

Regards,
George

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 07:04:21 am »

I have had good success with the default patch size settings .394 width and .354 height and the tolerance set at .5.

Georgecp

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 11:35:54 am »

Hi Doyle,

Those are the same settings that worked for me in the past as well.  When I fell into this maelstrom of profiling problems, I re-read my old profile targets with these settings and they all read perfectly.  After thoroughly checking and testing my patch printing output to ensure it is not color managed (many thanks for your xml file, by the way), the only thing left that I can think of is to up the measurement tolerance to .6.  This will not change the profiles themselves, it will only change the tolerance used by I1Profiler to determine correct patch sequences,etc.

The only root cause I can think of is that the new heads on my IPF5100 are printing differently enough that the new patch targets are out-of-range from a tolerance perspective even though they are not being color managed.

Like many on this forum, I have spent far too much time, paper, ink dealing with an issue that should be more straightforward.  Canon definitely needs to be on the ball in giving their serious users more information on how the driver works - this was the first phase of my problem.  If you hadn't figured this out, I would still be spinning my wheels.

I'll post an update in a couple of days after I have printed/profiled and checked the profiles in colorthink compared to my old ones..

Ellis, there is a new version of Colorthink - V3.03 that you can download.  Just wanted to FYI..
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up