Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: removing canvas dimples  (Read 2190 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
removing canvas dimples
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:44:39 pm »

hi all I've got a 24x40" canvas that picked up two little dimples somehow. they're not punctures and they're not deep, it's almost as if someone got their fingers on it too vigorously. The spots just look like they're not stretched taut like the rest of the canvas. I've searched around online and it seems like lightly spraying warm water is the preferred method for oil paintings, but I wasn't sure about spraying a photo print (it's been varnished with Timeless). Can anyone suggest a method of removing the dimples WITHOUT removing the canvas from it's frame and re-stretching?
thanks
Mark

davidh202

Re: removing canvas dimples
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »

just a  light spray of distilled water on the back of canvas surrounding the area  immediately around the dimples, and the dimples themselves, then  medium heat from a hair dryer should shrink them.
 keep the dryer moving around, don't concentrate the heat too long in the same spot
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:07:39 pm by davidh202 »

KenBabcock

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:21:11 pm »

Yes, water will remove them without a problem - as long as the canvas is water resistant.

I spray the back of almost all my canvases immediately after stretching and never had a problem in 9 years.  I give them a good spray too.  I'm pretty generous with the water.

OSP

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:38:39 am »

...  I give them a good spray too.  I'm pretty generous with the water.

So you actually hose them down?  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up