Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movement in Slideshows  (Read 2997 times)

kpdesigns492

Movement in Slideshows
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:01 pm »

I've been using FotoMagico for several months now and have discovered that when using the Ken Burns effect on slides being shown on my HDTV, the slides actually look a little better unsharpened. Images that are sharpened tend to flicker quite a bit on my tv. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I just not sharpen images for my HDTV slideshows?

Thanks!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Movement in Slideshows
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 01:46:44 pm »

Hi,

What you see is aliasing. Softening the image reduces aliasing.

You could consider to shut down the Ken Burns effekt and zoom/pan the images that you really want to zoom or pan.

Blurring the image would be a good idea, like adding gaussian blur with radius 0.15 or so.

Best regards
Erik

I've been using FotoMagico for several months now and have discovered that when using the Ken Burns effect on slides being shown on my HDTV, the slides actually look a little better unsharpened. Images that are sharpened tend to flicker quite a bit on my tv. Has anyone else noticed this? Should I just not sharpen images for my HDTV slideshows?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:48:46 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

kpdesigns492

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:52:03 pm »

It seems like just shutting off the Sharpening in Lightroom for my Raw images sort of blurs the images enough.  What do you think?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 03:27:29 pm »

Hi,

Quite possible. I would prefer to have a decent level and sharpening in Lightroom and havin scaling algorithms that work correctly in Fotomagico. In my view the problem is with Fotomagico that doesn´t use a decent resampling algorithm, although I have to admit that a decent resize algorithm may need to much CPU-power.

Best regards
Erik

It seems like just shutting off the Sharpening in Lightroom for my Raw images sort of blurs the images enough.  What do you think?
Erik Kaffehr

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 04:04:28 am »

If your going to use stills with the fade in fade out, movement effect (Ken Burns), then using an off the shelf program is going to require high bit rates (probably 5,000 kps minimum), or you'll have to go to a more refined program like motion or after effects that has more refined processing for these type of transitions.

Also try a higher frame rate, i.e., 30, 60 etc. as you will get less jerk and strobbing.

IMO

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:56:14 am »

Im no expert on this but I know that moving stuff across the frame has different  strobe effects at different speeds

People who do titles know about it

.. it is a skill

Think about a black dot moving across a white screen

If you are at 24FPS and make the dot move across the screen in one second it will be 24 frames with the dot in different place

If you move it across the frame in 0.9 seconds there are a lot of 'phase issues'.. frames with half dots

Difficult to explain

Summary; quick pans work, slow pans work, pans at mid speeds take skill

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up