Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulk re-apply develop settings? (JPEG -> RAW)  (Read 1376 times)

bbrantley

Bulk re-apply develop settings? (JPEG -> RAW)
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:57:23 am »

I've been shooting in JPG+RAW on my Nex until LR comes out with a raw processor.  (It just did a few hours ago, yay.)  I have done some editing against the JPGs so I could see my work over the last few weeks.

Is there an easy way to bulk reapply the settings for each of the JPEGs to each of the matching RAWs?  I think I can go manually copy and paste on each image pair, but it'd be nice to have a faster approach.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Bulk re-apply develop settings? (JPEG -> RAW)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 06:22:04 am »

Even if you could do that, and I'm not sure you can, why would you want to?  Obviously you do have a reason, but consider that your adjustments so far are done to an already processed file, and that being able to now work on the RAW file means that you can go back and re-consider your decisions.  So now you can adjust white balance and exposure to start with and then apply further treatments.  If you were happy with the original rendering of the files from the camera then the RAWs from those pictures are not really needed anyway.   For instance you may have made colour adjustments to the jpegs which would not need to be replicated when you can adjust white balance in the first place.  You will probably find it much more satisfying just to re-evaluate each picture again in RAW.

Jim

bbrantley

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »

Jim,

You make very fair points.  From experimenting with a few images so far, a lot of the develop settings are not translatable onto the raw, as you suggest.  And, some of the work that I need to do involves leveraging the (significant) additional exposure latitude that has now "become available", for example.

On the other hand, some of the edits.  Cropping, metadata and keywords, and things in that category carry over just fine. 

So far I have not figured out a way to do this, and I am suspicious that it doesn't exist.  That's fine, but I thought I'd ask in case there was a magic way.

Ben

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:12:27 pm »

Look up my Syncomatic plug-in which is designed to copy metadata between files with matching names.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up