Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: h4d-40: 100/2.2 with strange diaphragm?  (Read 1054 times)

fahrenhyde

h4d-40: 100/2.2 with strange diaphragm?
« on: September 28, 2011, 03:03:55 pm »

hello

i was wondering about a certain behaviour with my hasselblad h4d-40 and the 100/2.2:

sometimes when i tap the shutter release (not push through) or hit the stop down button, some diaphragm (not the aperture diaphragm) closes halfway and doesnt open again until i release the shutter (or push the mirror up button, twice). i have noticed it a few times now. it seemed that it happened after the camera was idle.

did never happen with 80mm / 150mm / 50mm (dont even know if those lenses have that strange diaphragm)

i attached a photo so you can see.

does anyone know what this is?

jorma.

John.Williams

• It's your life - make yourself useful!
Re: h4d-40: 100/2.2 with strange diaphragm?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:01:47 pm »

Hello Fahrenhyde,

It sounds like you may be seeing the 'stop down' function through the lens; although it would be odd to have this function appear from the shutter release...the stop down button is located on the front of the camera on the inside of the grip (the lower of the two buttons.)

I have long fingers and have accidentally hit this button activating the 'stop down' preview - which was designed to give the photographer a preview of the lens aperture selection prior to committing to the shot - lots of value in film shooting, less in digital...

(This function is described on page 34 of the H4D owners manual PDF v10)
"A visual depth-of-field preview can be made by depressing the STOP DOWN button while viewing the image on the viewfinder screen."

Please post if this was(not) the case...

John
(678) 365-0435
jay_dub@mac.com

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:56 pm »

Hello Fahrenhyde,

It sounds like you may be seeing the 'stop down' function through the lens; although it would be odd to have this function appear from the shutter release...the stop down button is located on the front of the camera on the inside of the grip (the lower of the two buttons.)

I have long fingers and have accidentally hit this button activating the 'stop down' preview - which was designed to give the photographer a preview of the lens aperture selection prior to committing to the shot - lots of value in film shooting, less in digital...

(This function is described on page 34 of the H4D owners manual PDF v10)
Please post if this was(not) the case...

John

looks like the shutter blades, not the aperture blades half open, so i don't think its a problem with a stop down preview..

I think you should be taking the lens into service.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

fahrenhyde

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:07:21 am »

hi, and thank you for your answers.

paul is right, its not the aperture blades. they appear clearly behind those blades when hitting the stop down button. well, at least i learned that they seem to be the shutter blades.

and as i said, this happens sometimes with the shutter release button AND sometimes with the stop down button.

the lens is brand new. i guess, i'll take it into service and let you know what it was.

jorma.
Pages: [1]   Go Up