Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 Head Alignment - Default vs Custom Paper?  (Read 6135 times)

Mc

Epson 7900 Head Alignment - Default vs Custom Paper?
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:31 am »

Background information: I am having some trouble with some horizontal banding with my 7900 especially in the grays and was thinking to start troubleshooting it by doing a head alignment (nozzle check is fine).

my question: would I get a better alignment if rather than using the "Epson Enhanced Matte Paper" (as suggested in the manual) I used the paper I am printing with, namely the Canson Baryta Photographique?

I have gone through some posts in the forum and have found some contradictory information, hence my question...

Anyone with a solid printing background with the Epson Pro printers?

thank you all in advance.

fetish

Re: Epson 7900 Head Alignment - Default vs Custom Paper?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:45 am »

i think there's a whole slew of definitions to the term 'banding' here, so i think the experts here will be able to help you better if you have a picture of the issue you're experiencing.  ;)

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:51:06 am »

I find knowledgeable insight in this issue maddening absent, and I have asked around and search around a lot about it for years with multiple Epsons. Not only are you advised Epson Enhanced Matte in the manual, but a tech will tell you to use the single weight matte roll that came with the printer- a paper with a very different thickness than Enhanced Matte. I too have used my preferred paper instead, thinking I may eek out a slightly better alignment. I know for a fact that nozzle distance from the paper, which is effected by the paper thickness itself, the platen gap setting, etc... will effect proper alignment. Additionally, I believe you are only aligning one paper thickness setting.. what about the others, and what's the most advisable setting to use for the procedure?
One would think someone at Epson knows EXACTLY what to do and why, we can never get access to these mystery people.

Very specific information and instructions for getting the most optimal alignments possible, and why, would be most welcome. Finally. Particularly given the higher need for perfect dot placement to avoid K channel patterns in the new models.
Tyler

JimGoshorn

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:01:15 pm »

Is it possible that enhanced matte is the "default" thickness for alignment and the platen adjustments are based relative to that thickness? If that's true, is it possible that aligning to another paper might throw off the platen adjustments?

Just asking...

Jim

Mc

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:23:40 pm »

thank you all for your feedback, I just found this which might be interesting since it appears to come from Epson.

There are a few potential drawbacks. I just talked to a friend at Epson and he indicated that if you are going to go to the trouble of upsampling to 720 and using the Finest Detail that the spool file will grow large (particularly if you are printing a file that is large to start with) and depending on the way the printer is connected; if over a network there could be problems or slow downs. If the network is fast and doesn't have a lot of other traffic and you don't hear the printer pausing then no problems, it's just taking more time.

The other thing he mentioned is that when printing at 720 with Finest Detail you should make sure the print head has been aligned on the exact media you'll be printing to and that you'll need to use a uni-directional setting not bi-directional. The spray alignment for bi-directional can cause problems when the second path of the head is also printing.

Now, in theory, that should mean that in order to have the most reliable head alignment one should perform the alignment using the exact paper he intends to print with...

I too have used my preferred paper instead, thinking I may eek out a slightly better alignment.

Did you notice any improvement in the end?

Is it possible that enhanced matte is the "default" thickness for alignment and the platen adjustments are based relative to that thickness? If that's true, is it possible that aligning to another paper might throw off the platen adjustments?

That is an interesting point.

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:31:07 pm »

You should use the paper specified by Epson.  It is a reference target.  All other settings are based on differences from that reference point.  So, with a 3rd party media if they tell you to make certain driver selections for use with their paper, then they have made those selections based on a printer that is correctly calibrated to the factory defaults.  If you choose another media, those driver settings will no longer be valid.  Any benefit you gain from custom calibration will be lost when you use the "default" driver settings for that media.

You would need to also compile your own custom driver settings to match your custom calibration, and even then you risk less than ideal performance because certain calibrations affect the printer at a more core level and would require service engineer level adjustments to recalibrate.
Phil Brown

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:43:54 pm »

You should use the paper specified by Epson....

the one the manual recommends, or the tech on site, or the Epson phone tech, or the pro dealer?
See the problem, or one of them at least?

Randy Carone

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:35:05 am »

I'd go with the Epson User Manual's advice.
Randy Carone

TylerB

• my photography
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:56:42 pm »

not trying to be argumentative, just trying to continue to keep the uncertainty of this issue alive for now... but the manual also seems to be at odds with the above insider's "friend at Epson".
Some final and certain info from the people who make the printer and develop the procedures is long overdue on this issue. One would think they'd like us all to be making the absolute best quality prints their hardware is capable of, I know that's what I'd like to do.
Tyler

Randy Carone

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:40 pm »

The reason I recommended the Epson User Manual is that one would assume that it is a 'group' effort with a few pairs of eyes (and brains) checking the manual before it is approved for press. I think it is a better source than 'a friend at Epson'. Is the friend an accountant, warehouse worker or a qualified Senior Tech? ...just sayin'.
Randy Carone

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:21:48 pm »

Background information: I am having some trouble with some horizontal banding with my 7900 especially in the grays and was thinking to start troubleshooting it by doing a head alignment (nozzle check is fine).

When you say horizontal banding I assume you mean in the same direction as the head travels?

I would question whether this banding would be caused from a head alignment.  This sounds more like an issue with missing nozzles or incorrect paper transport.

Mc

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:46:56 pm »

When you say horizontal banding I assume you mean in the same direction as the head travels?

That's correct.

I have already run through several cleaning cycles and the nozzles seem spot on.

I will probably open a new topic to try and get some help, I just thought it could be a problem with the head adjustment and I thought I would start this topic...

I will describe the issue here very briefly just in case some of you has already had to fix the same type of problem.

The "banding" looks like a darker line 1/10th of a millimiter thick(or even less) every millimiter and it is most noticeable on dark grays. I have already worked with the feed ajustment but the default setting (0) still gives me the best result. It is very subtle but since I can see it with the naked eye I was hoping I could get rid of it. All tests were carryed on with quality 5, high speed off. 

thank you all in advance and thanks again for all your input regarding the Head Alignment.

fetish

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »

That's correct.

I have already run through several cleaning cycles and the nozzles seem spot on.

I will probably open a new topic to try and get some help, I just thought it could be a problem with the head adjustment and I thought I would start this topic...

I will describe the issue here very briefly just in case some of you has already had to fix the same type of problem.

The "banding" looks like a darker line 1/10th of a millimiter thick(or even less) every millimiter and it is most noticeable on dark grays. I have already worked with the feed ajustment but the default setting (0) still gives me the best result. It is very subtle but since I can see it with the naked eye I was hoping I could get rid of it. All tests were carryed on with quality 5, high speed off. 

thank you all in advance and thanks again for all your input regarding the Head Alignment.

what you just described sounds like a case of the media being fed too slowly.. often it happens to canvas only but your case might be a rare exception.

go to the paper config menu of the printer driver and increase the paper feed adjustment settings. push it up to maybe about 30units and see if there's any change in the situation.

Farmer

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 08:12:38 pm »

I'd agree with Randy.  Follow the published, official document.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up