Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 2 Clone Tool - pink area  (Read 3241 times)

purpleface

Lightroom 2 Clone Tool - pink area
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:15:32 pm »

Hello,

I've recently found that when editing an image with a white area, the clone tool has a pink aura around it. I'm not sure why, I haven't changed any settings within Lightroom for a while now (unless accidently). I'm not sure whether it is a graphics problem or something else.

I've attached an image - see below.

Any help would be appreciated!

francois

Re: Lightroom 2 Clone Tool - pink area
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:38:40 am »

I'm not using Lightroom 2 anymore but I've noticed that if I try to use the clone/healing stamp in a blown area, sometimes there's some strange pink coloration but never as strong as what you show us on your image.

You could try to post your question in the Adobe user to user forum to see if you get more replies.
Francois

MartyGrivjackLRInstructor

• FL-Based Adobe Lightroom Instructor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38:15 am »

That is the visual indicator mask that LR gives you to see where your brush strokes have been made. To turn the mask on or off, press the letter "O" (not zero).

Here's my method of using the brush tool: I open the brush tool and with ALL settings at their default (double-click each control knob to reset it), move my mouse cursor to the area I want to adjust and click the mouse on that spot. I have a dot with a target dot inside it. This is my active brush area.

Now I press "O" and turn on the mask and start brushing where I want to make a change. A pink aura appears. Now I hold the mouse button down (you'll see a "+" sign in your cursor) and brush in the area until I've got pink covering the entire location. If I've overshot the runway and exceeded the edge of something, I click on the Erase button (brush turns to a "-" sign)  in the brush tool area and "erase" the overrun.

Press "O" to turn the mask off, and go to your brush adjustment dials and start adjusting. It's magic! Click Done when you are finished.

Each time you create a brush area you'll see a gray dot. The one with the black target in the middle is the active area.

Hope this helps!

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:06:25 am »

That's a nice trick, Marty.  Good one.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:20:34 am »

:D  Thks, Bob!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:39:47 am »

That is the visual indicator mask that LR gives you to see where your brush strokes have been made...

The OP is apparently talking about Spot Removal tool, not Adjustment Brush.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:58:24 am »

Yep, could be, but I will say the aura shown doesn't look like a clone-tool side-effect. Good catch on the wording, however!

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 01:38:32 pm »

It's still a good trick though.

I just tried it with the Clone Brush and I was able to replicate the effect. It happens with the Healing Brush as well but not as evident.  My guess, and this is only a guess, is that it's a result of the built in feathering in these tools.  You'll note that the edges aren't crisp.  I suspect what Adobe is trying to do is feather the cloned/healed area so you aren't left with a very noticeable circle.  What's happening then is that the brush is trying to create detail in that feathered section and in trying to blend with the overexposed area it's coming up with that pink/magenta colour cast. 

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:31:39 pm »

You've tried the auto-mask? Given a deliberate transition from light to dark, the auto-mask feature can find the edge and provide a distinct edge to a brushed area. Like a wedding dress (maybe a touch overblown) against the groom's slacks. Automask will find that dress in its entirety and then let you lower the exposure or brightness to bring back detail. I've found great use for it in that realm, OR if there's sky blue found on the dress as a reflection (after boosting vibrance) I'll mask the dress and then go for reducing saturation. Like Photoshop, there's a babillion ways of doing something.

MG

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 07:13:52 pm »

The OP is apparently talking about Spot Removal tool, not Adjustment Brush.

Yes, it was the Spot removal tool that was in question - she originally posted this question on Twitter and I suggested she come here.  As to the size of the 'spot' in the supplied image, that was just to highlight the effect.  It's not an artifact of using the mask option with the brush tool.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up