Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar CaptureShop 6 Color Alchemist-What does it do?  (Read 2258 times)

museumbrich4d

Sinar CaptureShop 6 Color Alchemist-What does it do?
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:03:20 am »

Hello,
Using Sinar CaptureShop 6.02 (003) with a Sinar eVolution 75H attached to a Sinar P3. Shooting artwork, mostly flat work such as prints, drawings and photographs. I have yet to figure out what Color Alchemist can do for me. The documentation that comes with CaptureShop is old. How old? Years old. With only CaptureShop 6 installed, there is no help loaded.
So, any Sinar CaptureShop 6 users who know what Color Alchemist does?
Thanks,
David

TH_Alpa

Re: Sinar CaptureShop 6 Color Alchemist-What does it do?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:50:00 am »

hi David,

I unfortunately don't remember it in details, but here I've found an old post of myself about "Colour Alchimist", on another forum:

Color Alchemist

Read Post 2

Best regards
Thierry

Hello,
Using Sinar CaptureShop 6.02 (003) with a Sinar eVolution 75H attached to a Sinar P3. Shooting artwork, mostly flat work such as prints, drawings and photographs. I have yet to figure out what Color Alchemist can do for me. The documentation that comes with CaptureShop is old. How old? Years old. With only CaptureShop 6 installed, there is no help loaded.
So, any Sinar CaptureShop 6 users who know what Color Alchemist does?
Thanks,
David

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
Re: Sinar CaptureShop 6 Color Alchemist-What does it do?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:15:28 am »

As far as I understand it basically desaturates tones that are very close to white, which can help remove slight colour casts.

This is different from a 'white shading' or LCC as some call it, and not designed to achieve the same result.

I don't find much use for the Color Alchemist, but sometimes it is useful or tempting to use when you shoot in mixed light. For example a white bowl on a white background shot in daylight can sometimes have a slightly warmer cast in the shadow of the bowl due to a fill card being used. Or a white wall in mixed lighting in an architecture shoot might need some cleaning up. The color alchemist can sometimes help with this but only slightly, and can ruin subtle colours you want to keep in other areas of the image. Usually things like this are better achieved selectively in Photoshop. I don't think it was designed to be used like this - Thierry mentions it was designed to compensate for casts that the 22mpx chips could exhibit. However it does show the innovative thinking and problem solving energy that Sinar used to be famous for in the early days of digital.

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up